[WIP] Animated Workshop

DSSP

i whas playing around to see how much of unity's functionality can be used in kerbal.

i ended up with a fully functional workshop that needs kerbals to operate and creates resources in orbit.

the generation rate is based on the kerbals stupidity, and while working each kerbal learns

and decreases its stupidity which in turn adds to the generation rate.

the plan is to use the workshop in conjunction with a orbital launchpad i am working on which needs the resources the workshop produces.

i know the kerbals dont look very nice at the moment but i focused on functionality so i had to create something in a short time.

preview.

contextmenu.

workshopcontextmenu.PNG

Edited by DSSP

sorry its basicly my first youtube video :D the quality is just bad.

ill upload a screenshot of the contextmenu.

IVA is impossible at the moment since i have no internal parts created for this yet.

also i see no use/reason to increase there courage while working.

this looks like it has lots of potential and i wouldn't mind having windows but don't have them so big as to just make it look like that a micrometeorite will just come in an puncture it or you can add blast shields for it to overcome that. it would be good to add IVAs too and maybe even have an option that lets you make them work faster at the cost of gaining stupidity due to head injuries

That's great, what setting did you use for the glass dome? (I mean, there are a few ways to manage it, is it a separate piece with a transparent texture, did you set it with Unity Opacity etc etc)

It is indeed a seperate Child/GameObject with a KSP/Alpha/Translucent Specular Shader using a default unity SteamBlur texture.

That's very, very impressive. I'd love to have this module attached to my space station. Will it be compatible with Extraplanetary Launchpads? You are feeding ore into workshop, and get parts you can then use to build new crafts. EL does have this function, but your part looks better, and option of improving the skills of working Kerbals to increase efficiency is just brilliant :D Or are you planning to create a whole mod competing with EL?

The window is cool, but maybe a bit too big. Perhaps a solid roof with a window on each side. It also seems like a pretty cramped workspace for 4 naked kerbals. Normally when you do naked fabrication you want at least an arms length of personal space. :)

I like the concept of the mod though. Are you going to make the workers require life support or something? It seems a bit unbalanced to have them produce stuff from nothing. Even the star trek replicators require basic matter to convert.

What about having a gigantic collector array that would be paired to the workshop. Think of a big charged screen that would attract little particles of dust, micro debris, and stray gas molecules. They get collected by the screen, sorted, broken down by nano disassemblers, and you have your raw materials for the workshop. Of course it would take a huge ammount of electricity to run the collector so you'd still need lots of solar cells or a reactor. For launching or moving, you'd want it to fold up like a solar panel, but be much bigger.

The window is cool, but maybe a bit too big. Perhaps a solid roof with a window on each side. It also seems like a pretty cramped workspace for 4 naked kerbals. Normally when you do naked fabrication you want at least an arms length of personal space. :)

I like the concept of the mod though. Are you going to make the workers require life support or something? It seems a bit unbalanced to have them produce stuff from nothing. Even the star trek replicators require basic matter to convert.

What about having a gigantic collector array that would be paired to the workshop. Think of a big charged screen that would attract little particles of dust, micro debris, and stray gas molecules. They get collected by the screen, sorted, broken down by nano disassemblers, and you have your raw materials for the workshop. Of course it would take a huge ammount of electricity to run the collector so you'd still need lots of solar cells or a reactor. For launching or moving, you'd want it to fold up like a solar panel, but be much bigger.

just have a converter to go along with the workshop instead of a collector screen because that takes the challenge out of mining planets because Kerba Fett you're on the right track but how about just actually just mining from planets or use advanced 3D printers ( you could probably even do the collector screen but it would only gather like minute amounts of material). there is even the idea of getting parts by harvesting debris too using like a tractor beam or hooks to pull the stuff into a processing center where it will be melted down and converted into usable parts. ( if any of you wonder how i had this many ideas this fast is because i am ADD)

This is one of the cooler things I have seen, and am very much looking forward to see what kinda mod ya build around this. Really awesome work...also may know a couple people that could help with kerbal model.

You should do test release soon as its stable enough...I want that, even if its not functional yet =)

Very nice....those Kerbals are creepy. What are the white boxes with the blinking green lights at either end of the workshop?

those are my private animated electric generators :P .

blinking green means full capacity.

• 4 weeks later...

there has been some progress yes.

but due to the fact o.22 has been released i am rethinking some of my functionality.

and also cuttin down the crew amount in 1.25 parts.

its taking some time because i have a new model which i need to create a new skeleton rig for and animations.

heh i expected you to cut crew size due to the amount of space in there so let me guess you will try two kerbals back to back? this is so that they would fit with suits.

back to back but with an offset so there back's wont be touching.

The 1.25m parts are not really "space station sized" except for walkways and the like.

Why not go straight for hitchhiker-scale workshops?

A minor note: Is it me or does this look like they have a gravity generator?

In the ISS, all tools and objects are secured with velcro or straps and there is no difference between floor, walls and ceiling.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.