Ermahgerd! Debris!

Kerbart

One can only imagine the sheer horror when I found this orbiting Kerbin...

p1992033474-4.jpg

So, a plan was deviced... Scoop up the debris, and deorbit it. Of course, now a "scooper rockit" is needed. BEHOLD:

p1889734186-4.jpg

Launching Kerbal style. When you see the mainsails dangling like christmas tree balls in the wind before launch your first thought of course is "nah, she'll do fine". Yes, programming the abort button and having an emergency facility duct-taped to your capsule pays off.

p2125982740-4.jpg

Sadly the intercept was on the night-side and the pictures weren't very clear. But here's the scoop in all it's glory. And it worked. KESSLER SYNDROME PREVENTED!

p1940492937-4.jpg

The plates actually pick it up? Weird. My Borg cube, made of the same plates, behaves as it was transparent, without collision mesh. :(

Maybe i got lucky? It might have been picked up by one of the girders or the struts?

I do get to test it. I revamped my fuel depot (LESS parts, not more) and was busy shuttling leftover fuel to the new depot. One of the runs after undocking, I got distracted with a few more pressing things (like Mousehunt, for instance) and a bit later I made a 90° turn followed for a retrograde burn. I did see something flash in view but before I could hit F1 the unplanned rapid disassembly (consisting mainly of mixing large orange tanks filled with oxidizer and fuel) was over in a... well, flash, quite literally.

Now I have a cloud of a dozen pieces of debris waiting for me. To be continued...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.