Toggling part deployment views while building

I'm not sure this is possible with the game's current build mechanics, but I thought I would run it by someone. Currently the parts with 2 configurations/modes only show 1 state, deployed or undeployed - for instance the landing legs always show up undeployed, and the ladders always show up deployed. Would it be possible to add a function which toggles between these shown states in the VAB? I have problems with relatively simple things here, like trying to tell if my landing legs will actually touch the ground based on where I've placed them - if I want to know for sure, I have to set up supports, deploy the vehicle on the launchpad, test everything live, et cetera. If I could toggle the view in the VAB, I could just do it by eye in about 15 seconds using the floor texture clipping, or what have you. With the extendable ladders, despite being a small part on the ship with fairly minor functionality, they cover up a big strip of whatever I'm working on underneath on the craft, and many times, when I'm trying to move RCS thrusters or other small (but important) things, I pick up the ladder instead and get disrupted. Once I've placed the ladder I don't need to see by eye how far down in goes, I already know it's okay. So, is this at all possible? Thanks.

It's definitely possible. I've seen mods have "start deployed" options on some of their parts in the VAB. I can't quite remember which ones though. Either Fustek or B9.

Both :)

The original animator module with the "start deployed" option was written by Snjo for his Firespitter plugin. B9 uses a copy of the plugin, while I (with Snjo's permission and help) compiled an independent copy for my FusTek parts.

This has definitely been suggested before but is a valid suggestion, and one that would be welcomed; no more broken LV-Ns on landing :D

I'm sure KEEPA (Kerbal Extraterrestrial Environmental Protection Agency) approves of nuclear thermal expansion rockets as landing thrusters. :sticktongue:

Both :)

The original animator module with the "start deployed" option was written by Snjo for his Firespitter plugin. B9 uses a copy of the plugin, while I (with Snjo's permission and help) compiled an independent copy for my FusTek parts.

If it can be done in a plugin, there is no reason such code cannot be integrated into the stock game.

If it can be done in a plugin, there is no reason such code cannot be integrated into the stock game.

I'm no coder, but I believe this to be correct. just a matter of convincing the devs to add it. would be nice, maybe .23. would be a nice follow up to .22's VAB/SPH enhancements.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.