Nukes? science?!

I have two questions:

I have heard talk of using nuclear power? Say what? Where is this in the game? Is it a mod? Have I already asked more than two questions?!?!

My second question relates to the science equipment. Whats the deal with it? Is it for later upgrades to the game or is there a functionality that I have yet to figure out? I can turn them on but thats about it...any explanation would be appreciated!

I have heard talk of using nuclear power? Say what? Where is this in the game? Is it a mod?

In the stock game, there's an atomic engine (similar to the NERVA engine that was testfired decades ago) and an RTG, which is a type of electricity generator that gets used from time to time in real space missions. The engine has a very high ISP but a very low TWR, so it's mostly used for interplanetary transfers. RTGs get put on craft when solar panels would be less effective or just too much of a pain.

My second question relates to the science equipment. Whats the deal with it? Is it for later upgrades to the game or is there a functionality that I have yet to figure out? I can turn them on but thats about it...any explanation would be appreciated!

In 0.21, that's about it. In 0.22, they may get more functionality that ties into research, but I haven't heard anything on the existing science gear with regards to research and the tech tree.

There are mods that give you nuclear reactors. The DSM mod has one, but it is very unrealistic for space exploration- no thermal panels. Alchemy Labs has a very W.I.P. mod for a nuclear reactors that does attempt to simulate the cooling aspect.

With nuclear reactors, you can make big, very long range, high delta-V nuclear ion propelled ships. Actually no mods out there have realistically-sized xenon tanks, so I had to make my own mod to give me a realistic quantity of xenon (liquid xenon is 3X denser than rocket fuel, so a tank the size of a Jumbo 64 can hold nearly 100 tons (1,000,000 units) of xenon fuel!). I'm using the nuclear reactors from the Alchemy Labs mod for these ships.

Also, I just landed a nuclear-electric airplane on Eve that has infinite endurance and range, as it's driven by a nuclear reactor that generates electricity for electric propellers (the propellers are from the Firespitter mod, and I am using the reactor from the DSM mod- since there is no need to simulate radiative cooling as the aircraft flies in a thick atmosphere). I'm hoping that the nuclear-electric airplane will be able to hoist a rocket up to a high enough altitude to get above most of the atmosphere, which is the primary challenge in launching from Eve.

Edited by |Velocity|

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.