Constellation Space Program - Three Part Challenge

Aww poor rover! Why did the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation invent Genuine People Personalities.. why?!? :0.0:

I think the leaderboard is correct, but I'm open to corrections.

BTW.. I'm wondering if a "Duna Apollo Style" challenge that includes SCIENCE! and finance is in order. Have you thought about a similar redux for your successful "Doing it Apollo Style"?

Edited by Death Engineering

Right now I'm a little short on time - thats why I like this challenge. Mission like testing the lander in orbit can be done in a 20 minute break ;)

But hosting a challenge is rather difficult for me right now. I might consider doing a Apollo Style redux - mostly because of the new parts that lend themselves to build a Saturn V simulacrum.

Not entirely sure how to incorporate science and/or funds in a meaningful - after all back in the days Money wasn't the issue ;)

Not entirely sure how to incorporate science and/or funds in a meaningful - after all back in the days Money wasn't the issue ;)

Yeah I know what you mean - I don't have any experience in stock since "First Contract" so maybe I'll start with a stock playthrough with Duna as the main goal and see what feels right.

Another update. Taking a crew to Duna and back:

http://imgur.com/a/WPLkf

Ill add up all my points in a post and figure out what im missing later.

Diggin' the surface refueling... that's awesome! :cool: Thanks for the update.

Hi Death Engineering, can I join in this excellent challenge?

I've had a spot of mod madness and thought it would be cool to do this replicating Zubrin et al's Mars Direct.

I'll be using FAR, DR, NEAR Fuels and a bunch of other mod parts.

The plan is to land the Earth Return Vehicle (powered by Methane/Oxygen) empty but with the Liquid Hydrogen necessary to create the fuel on Duna using the Sebatier process and Duna's atmospheric C02.

This sure does save a load of weight, the lander is 43% lighter than if fully fueled!

It has just enough DV for a direct ascent from Duna and return to Kerbin with 6 Kerbals.

I've hacked together Methane production from liquid Hydrogen and C02 already, just have to get the atmospheric scoop to work on Duna ;)

npTevyo.png

Yeah I know what you mean - I don't have any experience in stock since "First Contract" so maybe I'll start with a stock playthrough with Duna as a final goal when 0.25 is out.

Hi Death Engineering, can I join in this excellent challenge?

I've had a spot of mod madness and thought it would be cool to do this replicating Zubrin et al's Mars Direct.

I'll be using FAR, DR, NEAR Fuels and a bunch of other mod parts.

The plan is to land the Earth Return Vehicle (powered by Methane/Oxygen) empty but with the Liquid Hydrogen necessary to create the fuel on Duna using the Sebatier process and Duna's atmospheric C02.

This sure does save a load of weight, the lander is 43% lighter than if fully fueled!

It has just enough DV for a direct ascent from Duna and return to Kerbin with 6 Kerbals.

I've hacked together Methane production from liquid Hydrogen and C02 already, just have to get the atmospheric scoop to work on Duna ;)

http://i.imgur.com/npTevyo.png

oisgSYN.jpg

Looks like a great first step to Duna. Welcome to the challenge! :cool:

After some planning and testing I realized that I would have to make some changes to the 4*Gnosis Lander. So I give you the 4*Gnosis Block II:

mcSaVoz.png

Before sending the new lander to Duna, I decided another LKO test was appropriate:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

This gets me no new points - but I decided that I wanted to take 5 Kerbals to Duna and back.

I have most of my equipment set up, but I simply lack the motivation to do hight quality announcement-pictures. So here we go:

1*ATV

Automated Transfer Vehicle

IfuSnjq.png

I'll need this little gizmo to refuel the KDS on the 4*Gnosis mission.

8*Chorkun P

vPpLcbY.png

With the Poodle engine, the KDS is efficiet enough to get my stuff to Duna.

3*Satori Habitation Module

3vvdGBw.png

A light Habitation module for eight Kerbals. Will land using only Parachutes

2*Vyr Block II

I don't even have a picture - I'm sorry. It the 2*Vyr Block I with a additional command seat an a modified Skycrane

This should get me

• Develop a rover that can seat at least two crew in a pressurized pod. This rover can be delivered with either the Kerbin Return Vehicle or the Duna lander (+2)
  • Outpost Variant: Develop the Duna lander to remain on Duna as a permanent outpost. The Duna landing mission should include pressurized seats for 1.5 times your crew size (round up). Eg. If your Duna lander seats 4, the Outpost Variant should have pressurized seats for 6. If your Duna lander seats 5, your Outpost Variant should seat 8 (+2)

However - I plan to send two unmanned missions: One with the Return Vehicle and another with the Rover/Habitation Module. When everything is set up, the Kerbals will follow in a 3*Vader Crew Vehicle.

So the Rover is delivered together with the Outpost. Is that legit too? Because to specify "delivered with either the Kerbin Return Vehicle or the Duna lander".

After some planning and testing I realized that I would have to make some changes to the 4*Gnosis Lander. So I give you the 4*Gnosis Block II:

http://i.imgur.com/mcSaVoz.png

Before sending the new lander to Duna, I decided another LKO test was appropriate:

http://imgur.com/a/O9dFx

This gets me no new points - but I decided that I wanted to take 5 Kerbals to Duna and back.

Good idea on the design change.. the upside-down pod on 4*Gnosis Lander Block I would have made for an uncomfortable descent. But it looks good flipped over and that's what counts! :D

I have most of my equipment set up, but I simply lack the motivation to do hight quality announcement-pictures. So here we go:

1*ATV

Automated Transfer Vehicle

http://i.imgur.com/IfuSnjq.png

I'll need this little gizmo to refuel the KDS on the 4*Gnosis mission.

8*Chorkun P

http://i.imgur.com/vPpLcbY.png

With the Poodle engine, the KDS is efficiet enough to get my stuff to Duna.

3*Satori Habitation Module

http://i.imgur.com/3vvdGBw.png

A light Habitation module for eight Kerbals. Will land using only Parachutes

2*Vyr Block II

I don't even have a picture - I'm sorry. It the 2*Vyr Block I with a additional command seat an a modified Skycrane

This should get me

• Develop a rover that can seat at least two crew in a pressurized pod. This rover can be delivered with either the Kerbin Return Vehicle or the Duna lander (+2)
  • Outpost Variant: Develop the Duna lander to remain on Duna as a permanent outpost. The Duna landing mission should include pressurized seats for 1.5 times your crew size (round up). Eg. If your Duna lander seats 4, the Outpost Variant should have pressurized seats for 6. If your Duna lander seats 5, your Outpost Variant should seat 8 (+2)

However - I plan to send two unmanned missions: One with the Return Vehicle and another with the Rover/Habitation Module. When everything is set up, the Kerbals will follow in a 3*Vader Crew Vehicle.

So the Rover is delivered together with the Outpost. Is that legit too? Because to specify "delivered with either the Kerbin Return Vehicle or the Duna lander".

That rover delivery method is totally legit. Updated 'board.. I think I'm close to correct. :cool:

edit:

I guess 0.25 launch day was a bad choice for posting "Das Dunaprojekt" or Duna von Braun Style

Now this took some time:

I'm starting to loose count of my points. But this should get me:

Mission:

• Land an un-Kerballed Kerbin Return Vehicle on Duna. Can be either Duna-Kerbin direct ascent capable or dock with an orbiting Duna-Kerbin return stage (+4)
  • Duna Outpost: The Duna lander uses the Duna Outpost Variant which stays on the surface and includes a pressurized rover. (+3)
  • Use an Ares V in at least one Duna mission (flyby or landing) (+2)
  • Use an Ares I in at least one Duna mission (flyby or landing) (+1)

Science:

• Kerbin Return Vehicle: Pre-landed Kerbin return vehicle on the Duna mission contains a science package (+1)

well i have built everything with max points i'm just too lazy to launch it now and upload pics. basically with engenieer i found out that my crafts have enough Dv for duna and return and the lander is based on the altair(it's basically the same with a bit more fuel). my orion and ares I+V are fully capable of all the missions and the extra goals now it's just up to my flying to prove itself

Now this took some time:

http://imgur.com/a/d1hTN

I'm starting to loose count of my points. But this should get me:

Mission:

• Land an un-Kerballed Kerbin Return Vehicle on Duna. Can be either Duna-Kerbin direct ascent capable or dock with an orbiting Duna-Kerbin return stage (+4)
  • Duna Outpost: The Duna lander uses the Duna Outpost Variant which stays on the surface and includes a pressurized rover. (+3)
  • Use an Ares V in at least one Duna mission (flyby or landing) (+2)
  • Use an Ares I in at least one Duna mission (flyby or landing) (+1)

Science:

• Kerbin Return Vehicle: Pre-landed Kerbin return vehicle on the Duna mission contains a science package (+1)

Less than 4km from the Duna base.. not too bad of a drive. Good call on using the Poodle.. ;)

well i have built everything with max points i'm just too lazy to launch it now and upload pics. basically with engenieer i found out that my crafts have enough Dv for duna and return and the lander is based on the altair(it's basically the same with a bit more fuel). my orion and ares I+V are fully capable of all the missions and the extra goals now it's just up to my flying to prove itself

Hehe.. yeah I can understand that. Personally, I prefer the flying over the building. Post up an album if you happen to get the mission done. :)

Most stuff is now 0.25 ready and so here is the SSE lifter, which actually works thanks to the 8 degree gimbling!

http://i.imgur.com/EkutNQi.png

Looking good! I'm rather fond of the roll-enabled gimballing as well.

Thanks for the updates, all! :cool:

Time to get my boys to Duna.

What craft will I use? Well, as it turns out, the 3*Vader Block II is so marvelously over-engineered, that it can got to Duna by itself. Even when strapped to a 5*Tarkin.

Now, this should get me...

• At least 4 Kerbals pass withing 5000km of Duna (+2)
  • Land at least four Kerbals on Duna within 10 km (100 km if by rover) of the above Duna lander. (+5)
  • Each landing crew over 4, up to 6 crew maximum (+1)

Time to go back home!

http://imgur.com/a/W2uKj

• Return the Duna landing crew and any remaining Duna orbiting crew to Kerbin (+4)

Time to get my boys to Duna.

What craft will I use? Well, as it turns out, the 3*Vader Block II is so marvelously over-engineered, that it can got to Duna by itself. Even when strapped to a 5*Tarkin.

http://imgur.com/a/1KCsf

Now, this should get me...

• At least 4 Kerbals pass withing 5000km of Duna (+2)
  • Land at least four Kerbals on Duna within 10 km (100 km if by rover) of the above Duna lander. (+5)
  • Each landing crew over 4, up to 6 crew maximum (+1)

Very nice Duna mission! :cool: +1 for bringing back the entire Kerbin return craft and 'sticking' the landing!

Looking forward to your ATLAST mission. ;)

• 1 month later...

I have decided to give this a go! I've always been looking at this thread and it's awesome design etc, but I didn't feel quite experienced enough to actually try it untill now. I'll be doing the entire program. Designing of my craft has started and my Ares-I, Orion block I and II are coming along nicely (ofcourse they will have other names but those remain secret for now. Looking forward to doing some missions and reporting!

Panzerknoef

Introducing: The Sakashi Program!

N81AvMR.png

The flag is pretty rubish, I know but i've never done it before

Here we go, announcing my Ares-I and V equivalent and the Orion equivalent

First of, the Ethys, my Orion. In this image you see its Block-II variant

4UClTRK.png

Second, the Vega-II, my Ares-I. In this image it is carrying an Ethys block-II to orbit. The second image is the second stage firing

cVLJb6L.png

KdD0pMe.png

And last but not least, my Ares-V equivalent, the Vega-VI. In these images also carrying an Ethys block-II to orbit, together with its EDS

uqy2L1i.png

o5lRAWA.png

So then for the points on this part

Crew Launch Vehicle:

Two stage rocket to LKO (+2)

Does not jettison any radial stages (solid or liquid tanks/engines) (+2)

Can carry Orion Block 1 to low orbit without using any fuel from the Orion service module (+1)

Can carry Orion Block 2 to low orbit without using any fuel from the Orion service module (+2)

Uses any solid fuel booster on first stage (+1)

Uses only solid fuel on first stage (+3)

11 points

Heavy Cargo Lift Vehicle:

Five or six liquid engines on first stage (+3)

Does not jettison any radial liquid tanks/engines (+2)

Uses and jettisons at least two solid fuel boosters on first stage (+1)

Two stage rocket to LKO: After the first stage is dropped, the second stage (EDS), carries payload to orbit (+2)

Can carry the Earth Departure Stage (EDS) and Orion BLock 1 to low orbit without using any fuel from the EDS (+1)

EDS Bonus: Second stage can put Orion Block 1 into Munar free-return trajectory (+2)

11 points

Crew Vehicle:

Supports at least 4 crew (+4)

Self-contained multi-purpose spacecraft: Launch Escape System (LES), Power, RCS fuel/thrusters, orbital maneuvering engine/fuel, docking port, probe core (+2)

Service module: Before landing, drops orbital maneuvering engine and all it's fuel and at least a portion of RCS fuel (+2)

Safely touches down on land and water (+1)

Solar/battery electrical only (no RTG) (+2)

Block 1/2 bonus: Develop a Block 2 with slightly higher delta-V. Block 1 is intended for low orbit missions and the Block 2 for Munar/deep space missions (+1)

12 points

Edited by panzerknoef

Done the first few missions.

Launch a boilerplate Orion capsule/EDS on suborbital flight using Ares I (+1)

Perform an abort and recovery (LES) of an un-Kerballed Orion capsule using the Launch Escape System, while first stage is firing (+1)

Launch and dock an unkerballed Orion Block 1 to the orbiting space station, for use as a lifeboat (+2)

so for now, a measly 4 points on missions, but more is yet to come...one day...

Done the first few missions.

Launch a boilerplate Orion capsule/EDS on suborbital flight using Ares I (+1)

Perform an abort and recovery (LES) of an un-Kerballed Orion capsule using the Launch Escape System, while first stage is firing (+1)

Launch and dock an unkerballed Orion Block 1 to the orbiting space station, for use as a lifeboat (+2)

so for now, a measly 4 points on missions, but more is yet to come...one day...

http://imgur.com/a/jNKqL

Hey panzerknoef, welcome to the challenge! And fitting to be playing this mission just as NASA makes headway with its own spacecraft program. ;)

Welcome to the leaderboard! If possible, please list your running total on updates so I don't have to think too hard. :)

Great commentary in the pics, btw.. thanks for making it a good read!

• 2 weeks later...

YES, YES YES! I already did the station component, but I'll just do another boring resupplied mission. I have also done the mun/minmus landing component, but do not yet have a mun base. But I have spent months planning and building landers( Wernher crew hab, Goddard Rover lander, and Tsiolkovsky ascent stage vehicle, all made to look as much like the constellation mars DRA 5.0 landers) transfer vehicles (Kopernicus or INTEGRITY, but I chose Kopernicus because it is simpler, less costly, and INTEGRITY was just too high tech), rovers( power rover(2), science rover, SPR rover) and rockets (KSLS Krew/Cargo, Unaes I and IV). Doing it sometime this or next month, as I am hooked into a new career in .90 instead of the Kolonation program career save...

Chiken...

• 3 weeks later...

BREAKING NEWS:

Speaking from the Kerbal Space Center in a special press release today, President George W. Kerman announced a new program to carry Kerbals farther in space than they had ever gone before.

"Kerbals have not developed a new spacecraft to advance our exploration of space in nearly a quarter of a century. Today, I announce a new plan to explore space and to extend a Kerbal presence across our solar system," the President announced.

Meanwhile, engineers from Kerbal Propulsion Laboratories have outlined a three-tiered plan for future space exploration. The first tier includes a versatile crew capsule and launch vehicle for servicing the Kerbal Space Station. The second tier includes a heavy launch vehicle for exploration of Kerbin's moons. The third tier is a plan to reach Duna, so far unexplored except by probes.

Kerbal engineers have unveiled designs for the new Nimrod crew capsule. Also unveiled today were short and long-range support module designs for this spacecraft and a new Kasei-1 rocket for service to Low Kerbin Orbit. Plans to begin construction and testing of these designs are still in progress.

Nimrod (Block 1/2)

13 out of 14 Points

• Supports at least 4 crew (+4)
  • Each crew over 4, up to 6 crew maximum (+1)
  • Self-contained multi-purpose spacecraft: Launch Escape System (LES), Power, RCS fuel/thrusters, orbital maneuvering engine/fuel, docking port, probe core (+2)
  • Service module: Before landing, drops orbital maneuvering engine and all its fuel and at least a portion of RCS fuel (+2)
  • Safely touches down on land and water (+1)
  • Solar/battery electrical only (no RTG) (+2)
  • Block 1/2 bonus: Develop a Block 2 with slightly higher delta-V. Block 1 is intended for low orbit missions and the Block 2 for Munar/deep space missions (+1)

qFk5DsW.png

6MSAQ3b.png

Kasei-1 (shown with Nimrod Block 2 Variant)

11 out of 11 points:

• Two stage rocket to LKO (+2)
  • Does not jettison any radial stages (solid or liquid tanks/engines) (+2)
  • Can carry Orion Block 1 to low orbit without using any fuel from the Orion service module (+1)
  • Can carry Orion Block 2 to low orbit without using any fuel from the Orion service module (+2)
  • Uses any solid fuel booster on first stage (+1)
  • Uses only solid fuel on first stage (+3)

sVKQBvx.png

Total Design Points: 24 out of 25

Small up

Munar free return and Stress test

http://imgur.com/a/RHYaG

this brings my points to 6!

My exams have been slowing me down, expect more soon!

Looks great panzerknoef. Leaderboard updated. :cool:

YES, YES YES! I already did the station component, but I'll just do another boring resupplied mission. I have also done the mun/minmus landing component, but do not yet have a mun base. But I have spent months planning and building landers( Wernher crew hab, Goddard Rover lander, and Tsiolkovsky ascent stage vehicle, all made to look as much like the constellation mars DRA 5.0 landers) transfer vehicles (Kopernicus or INTEGRITY, but I chose Kopernicus because it is simpler, less costly, and INTEGRITY was just too high tech), rovers( power rover(2), science rover, SPR rover) and rockets (KSLS Krew/Cargo, Unaes I and IV). Doing it sometime this or next month, as I am hooked into a new career in .90 instead of the Kolonation program career save...

Chiken...

Hey welcome to the challenge Chiken1880! Looking forward to your updates.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.