The Minmus Thread.

Rage097

The queston is simple.

What is Minmus made of? Are the 'lakes' made of Ice, salt or broken safety glass? Are the giant mounds of mint-green stuff Snow or Mint ice cream? Why is Minmus so appealing? What's with its compulsionary effect that makes us want to skip the Mun and go straight to it? Is it the low gravity? Is it the combination of low gravity and excellent landing zones where you can trust the altimeter? Is it just the overall color that's aesthetically pleasing?

We have ruled out ice, as it would melt. People tend to agree that the lakes are Salt flats. But there's no theories on the surface and mountains, nor the minty green color. What is Minmus made out of?

That's an Idea xD

There has to be SOMETHING realworld that makes sense, even if it's rediculous (i.e. Giant mass of mint ice cream).

The Ice lakes/ salt flats could be something akin to broken safety glass. The color is correct and it can exist under the temperture conditions.

2239582946_0b939a70c9_z.jpg?zz=1

The reason I like Minimus is the low gravity. It's a really good place to practice landing controls. As for what it's made of I don't know but Mint Ice cream does sound nice! Maybe there's an old Hershey chocolate hot spring somewhere? I imagine we'll find out for sure when mining/resources are put in the game. :)

Technically the atmosphere would heat it up instead of cool it,

And the tempeture (spell fail) on the thermometers in game read at like -50 degrees or more

The in game thermometer says that Minmus heats up to 0 degrees at dawn and dusk and cools to -50 at noon and midnight. The thermometers are not trust worthy. And since Minmus is a vacuum, The boiling point (and consequently, the melting point) of materials are much lower. Meanwhile on Kerbin, Atmospheric pressure is causing the boiling point to be higher. Like how at high altitudes, water boils but doesn't cook your food because the pressure is lower and the boiling point is lower.

Hence why Minmus cannot be water-Ice.

too close to the sun, the ice will melt.

@the guy above me: ...I accidentally crushed your dreams. Sorry :(

The in game thermometer says that Minmus heats up to 0 degrees at dawn and dusk and cools to -50 at noon and midnight. The thermometers are not trust worthy. And since Minmus is a vacuum, The boiling point (and consequently, the melting point) of materials are much lower. Meanwhile on Kerbin, Atmospheric pressure is causing the boiling point to be higher. Like how at high altitudes, water boils but doesn't cook your food because the pressure is lower and the boiling point is lower.

Hence why Minmus cannot be water-Ice.

too close to the sun, the ice will melt.

@the guy above me: ...I accidentally crushed your dreams. Sorry :(

I read somewhere that if other stuff is mixed in it melts at a higher temperature maybe its frozen salt water or something?

I read somewhere that if other stuff is mixed in it melts at a higher temperature maybe its frozen salt water or something?

I've looked and looked I can't find any real world substance that could be mixed into water to make it ice in a vacuum at those temperatures.

It's a fictional universe, anything is possible! :)

And saltwater in earths oceans is green if you look at it right last I heard,

Yes but frozen salt water is not. And again. Salt water ice cannot exist on Minmus.

27a38fa984ac8488454dc5fb253cd72e.png

5053543733_2b1cd460df_o.jpg

Broken safety glass compared to the Flats on Minmus.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.