Leviathan - 3-Segment interplanetary ship

Just finished assembling my interplanetary cruiser, just to realize the links are bouncy and i forgot to set action buttons for activating and deactivating Lander engines, anyhow it'll be some time before i fix it, since it can still fly, carefully.

The Leviathan is made up of 3 segments;

A 4 Engine lander with comms with space for 1 kerbal and a fuel capacity of 1080 LiF and 1320 Oxidizer.

A Habitation module with auxiliary coms, capacity for 10 kerbals and two docking port.

An Engine module with 16 Atomic Rocket Motors and a fuel capacity of 7200 LiF and 8800 Oxidizer.

All 3 couplings are made with 4x Docking ports, so the Habitation module can optionally be left as a station while the lander connects up with the engine module.

The entire craft weighs a total of 178.8 Tons and has a DeltaV (only using main engine fuel and power) of aprox 4600 m/s.

The lander weighs in at 24.77 Tons and has a deltaV of 1950/2530 in atmosphere and vacuum.

If anyone wants the .craft for the 3 segments, just say and i'll find some way to upload

dTi7CzA.png

yPVjmQG.png

Edited by Neotician

Update:

Refueling before leaving Kerbin orbit

fe0FO1m.png

Dunar orbit, the Habitation Module has been left as a station.

I intended to post Pics of the lander on the surface, but i wasn't paying attention when leaving Kerbin, and messed up bad (used observation pod as navigation reference) so expended about 60% fuel getting to Duna (only requires about 30%).

Thus resulting in the lander going down with about 35% of its fuel capacity, resulting in an impact with the surface at 100m/s :P

wIp2Jzk.png

I think this monster should reach Laythe, too.

Just got the entire thing re-assembled, with some adjustments, and refueled.

About to leave for Laythe, it'll prolly be a one way trip, but i should be able to pop a station in orbit and put the lander safely down :)

Also added weight and deltaV stats to the original post.

Well,, Triple posting by now but found this interesting:

Got into Jool orbit, at a poor practically polar angle, so i had to time my transfer to Laythe pretty tightly, also because i was running low on fuel.

Managed to get a path that'd get me close enough to aerobreak, unfortunatly the path wobbles on the map when the ship wobbles, so wasn't exactly sure..

The interesting part

I missed Laythes atmosphere with about 20km, and was thus slighshot out of the solar system.

Yes, that's right, not just out of the Jool system, but the actual solar system.

Considering leaving it on timewarp overnight just to see the result :P

fIBzFvK.png

Edited by Neotician

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.