What's It Like To Upgrade?

Trann

So, the blog announced "Update 0.22 Enters Experimental Phase!" today and that means I'll be going through my first update Real Soon Now[TM].

What should I expect?

I would guess that any changes to the basic components would mean my save files wouldn't load properly and thus my system of ships, space stations, and such would be empty.

Do you use the Steam version or the one from the Squad store?

The steam version should update itself automatically, just like all other steam games.

As for the store version, you will need to download it again from scratch, extract it to a new folder and then migrate your saved game and .craft files to the new folder (just copying the new version over the old one can cause problems...).

As far as we know so far this update should not be save-breaking, but make a backup of your persistance.sfs and .craft files just in case.

At release time everybody goes OH GOD UPDATE OMGOMGOMG

2 seconds later the servers are overloaded and the patcher implodes.

About 15 minutes later everybody on steam has the update.

3 hours later, all the new content from the update is consumed and we sit for another 2 months.

The devcycle sucks, but what can we do about it other than complain.

Do you use the Steam version or the one from the Squad store?

... but make a backup of your persistance.sfs and .craft files just in case.

Non-steam so I fully expect to download manually, migrate save files across, mods, etc. No prob.

And I have backups galore :)

What you can (almost certainly) expect on update day:

"The Official Unofficial <release version> + 0.01 discussion thread".

Aside from that, you just update the game and look around to see what's new. If your save broke, take a moment to think about what you lost and then be happy that you can start all over again with new content!

At release time everybody goes OH GOD UPDATE OMGOMGOMG

2 seconds later the servers are overloaded and the patcher implodes.

About 15 minutes later everybody on steam has the update.

3 hours later, all the new content from the update is consumed and we sit for another 2 months.

The devcycle sucks, but what can we do about it other than complain.

Well KSP is a sandbox type game and just as in the real life sand box you can create content for yourself just have to use your imagination :)

I'm not worried about what might break, just curious about the experience. For me, restarting isn't really a bad thing at all.

Each ship or station I set up is an infrastructure investment and they are kept in service even after I've fixed flakier designs or come up with something better.

Each Kerbonaut stranded by poor planning or accident see billions in Kerbucks (is that a thing?) spent to rescue them.

Heck, I've yet to hit a viable launch window for Eve or Duna yet so I'll be saving trillions on each failed rendezvous, crash landing, exhausted fuel supply, stranded crew...

Bring it on. 8)

I just copy my persistence file from my save on the old version to the save on the new version.

What do people mean by "save-breaking"?

A few of the updates have caused past version save files to no longer work (most notably 0.21 in recent history). It tends to happen when they make a major change to the physical layout of an existing celestial body, or when they make fundamental changes to how save files work. As I understand it, 0.22 does not have anything that would cause this, as there is no definition for Career saves in 0.21 and what's being added to Sandbox does not fundamentally alter anything about how saves work.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.