Is it just me who wants multithreading?

Infineon

Thing about multicores is that they allow you to do more calculations at once. While a single core 5ghz will do individual calculations more rapidly, an 8-core 2ghz cpu will do 8 times as many calculations at once. A 6-core with hyperthreading will even do 12 times more.

The short answer seems to be no

Well, you probably could but it would be a travesty. You can do all kinds of crazy things. I one time installed a virtual ESX server, on an ESX server, just to see what would happen. It was the slowest virtual server I'd ever seen (took 2 hours to boot up).

Just the first part of his statement (several instances of Unity) makes me think that you could do that -- in 20 years, when we can run Windows 7 on a wristwatch.

The long answer for me is why the hell do the Unity developers keep avoiding the elephant in the room?

We've been using multi-core processors for a decade now. It's not a new thing. In fact, if people are paying attention the rapid growth in mHz/gHz of processors which had been happening since the dawn of forver, has really stopped. I remember getting to 1gHz. Then 2 gHz. Then . . . we never really got to 3 as a standard. I certainly haven't ever seen a 4 gHz chip come through my world.

So, really, I don't know how much more under pressure you can make a bunch of programmers feel, but Unity -- the WHOLE WORLD is passing you by. Get ON the bus!

Edited by Aphox
Merged multipost; please use edit function

Maybe it's not so easy to make their physics engine use multithreading, that's the real problem here, Unity can and does offload other processes to other cores when necessary but cannot do that with the physics.

KSP may be the most physics intensive game running on Unity, sure other games may have physics engine dust, broken glass effects and more ragdolls but they aren't part of the core game and can be faked in other ways if the players PC can't handle the physics.

But in KSP you're kinda stuck, if your PC cant do the maths fast enough, you ain't orbiting.

The long answer for me is why the hell do the Unity developers keep avoiding the elephant in the room?

(...)

So, really, I don't know how much more under pressure you can make a bunch of programmers feel, but Unity -- the WHOLE WORLD is passing you by. Get ON the bus!

Obviously switching your code from single-threading to multi-threading is probably a case of just adding a line like

#PRAGMA MULTITHREADING

I mean, seriously, how hard can it be? And surely it won't break anything. Heck, even if it breaks all existing Unity applications, who cares!

It's absolutely unimaginable why unity hasn't implemented multi-threading. I mean all it takes is adding one pragma directive to switch your entire code-base over right? And nothing will break. Amazing that they didn't do it yet.

:rolleyes:

Hey, everyone. Seeing as how the last post in this thread before today was from October 2013, consider this a friendly reminder that necroposting is discouraged on the forum. Thanks.

Couldn't you post that BEFORE I posted my answer? Now I look like an idiot :(

Edited by Aphox
Merged multipost; please use edit function

• 1 year later...