Valerian Station (a long station)

11 missions to construct the complete station, 824 pieces, 329 tons, orbits at around 285km. Craft files are coming, I'll post them as soon as I get the chance. Until then, here are some pics :). It is so long that it's a bit hard to get the entire station into frame for a good image. Alignment of the modules was also a pain since they are so far apart.

Full Album (72 images including construction)

yzkS7Hyh.jpg

hqwgUhth.jpg

NXIgpVfh.jpg

IHyeBU6h.jpg

ciq7rCBh.jpg

x3BqWEjh.jpg

aCsC8IRh.jpg

CB5Ko6uh.jpg

XprJ6tlh.jpg

Wow, this is awesome. I've been planning to do it, but my computer would not be able to tolerate it even if I used girders only. Anything above 150 parts and my framerate starts to drop.

Ok, here's a thought. What happens in KSP when such a long station is placed just above the atmosphere, say at 69.1km, and you rotate it so that one end dips beneath this improbable threshold?

I think what matters is where is the center of mass. If it's above the atmospheric limit, you should be fine. I'm not sure, though.

Edited by lajoswinkler

I think what matters is where is the center of mass. If it's above the atmospheric limit, you should be fine. I'm not sure, though.

A good experiment would be placing the controlling capsule/probe at one end and a few orange tanks at the other, then dipping the tanks below 69km. The whole idea kinda reminds me of a tether.

Wow, this is awesome. I've been planning to do it, but my computer would not be able to tolerate it even if I used girders only. Anything above 150 parts and my framerate starts to drop.

The camera tracks the CoM as it thinks that should be close-ish to the center of the ship. Physics is calculated within 2.5km of the active command module. If you are controlling it from one end and that end is in the atmosphere, down you go!

The camera tracks the CoM as it thinks that should be close-ish to the center of the ship. Physics is calculated within 2.5km of the active command module. If you are controlling it from one end and that end is in the atmosphere, down you go!

So an object could be 2km long and very heavy at the end dipped into the atmosphere, but as long as we're actively controlling its command module outside of the ~69.1km mark (or not controlling it at all, for example EVa-ing with a Kerbal around), nothing happens.

I might just try to make a small version of this, but without the heavy parts. Just a huge number of girders. Turning it around (inclining) in an active fashion would be impossible so it needs to be built in the needed direction.

The CoM would have to be at least 2.5km away from the active command pod to make this work. But if such a craft existed (and didn't instantly break the game), you wouldn't be able to dip one end. If the entire craft does not have physics calculation on it, then force applied will be stopped by half the craft still being on rails*.

* I think, I have not actually tested this without stuff in KAS. It is poentially possible fir girder craft.

The CoM would have to be at least 2.5km away from the active command pod to make this work. But if such a craft existed (and didn't instantly break the game), you wouldn't be able to dip one end. If the entire craft does not have physics calculation on it, then force applied will be stopped by half the craft still being on rails*.

* I think, I have not actually tested this without stuff in KAS. It is poentially possible fir girder craft.

I'm going to test your theory.

-after some testing the craft in completely unaffected by the atmosphere, however! you can move it around, change its orbit, etc.

Edited by DaveofDefeat

I quickly abandoned the idea of building this at 69.5 km because the rendezvous gets tough and I couldn't turn around the object properly.

mono2.png

That's why it's at ~250 km, above the Kerbin rendering limit, so my framerate is ok.

mono1.png

I'll just keep adding more and more parts until my CPU starts puking. This is now 50m long and was delivered in two missions. First the core, then 4 parts. The docking is hard because my RCS is placed on the detachable end of each segment. The actual moment of docking is, well... energetic, to say the least. The whole thing wobbles and sometimes it's a whole minute until the locks are activated.

Edited by lajoswinkler

I haven't noticed any tidal phenomena. If something happens during the construction, I'll let you know.

edited

I've increased the lenght of the station to almost 90m and used a maximum physical time warp for few minutes. I haven't noticed anything at this height.

volta.png

There are 56 parts and my PC could tolerate up to 150 without a heavy drop in framerate. Maybe even more because the station is above 240km. That means 5 more missions, each time adding almost 40m of length. The final product might reach 300m, but it's already so tedious.

Edited by lajoswinkler

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.