[1.10.x] SDHI Service Module System (V4.0.4 / 11 October 2020)

sumghai

For those with heat shield issues, try permanently disabling the floatation collar feature by stripping out the KMbuoyancy PartModules - if you don't experience that 6000 m error, then it has something to do with dtobi's Klockheed Martian plugins.

EDIT: Unable to reproduce aforementioned issue even with latest version of Klockheed Martian plugins. I suspect another add-on not used by SDHI is causing this issue - could you guys try setting up a separate installation with just SDHI and its dependencies, and then examine the other add-ons for compatibility?

Will do. I posted a few posts back what mods I am using.

I'm also using KM and I'm not getting that error either. I have my LES set up with it for abort and to jettison once the main booster tank is empty as well as auto deploy chutes on reentry and it's all working with no bugs.

For those with heat shield issues, try permanently disabling the floatation collar feature by stripping out the KMbuoyancy PartModules - if you don't experience that 6000 m error, then it has something to do with dtobi's Klockheed Martian plugins.

EDIT: Unable to reproduce aforementioned issue even with latest version of Klockheed Martian plugins. I suspect another add-on not used by SDHI is causing this issue - could you guys try setting up a separate installation with just SDHI and its dependencies, and then examine the other add-ons for compatibility?

I'm also using KM and I'm not getting that error either. I have my LES set up with it for abort and to jettison once the main booster tank is empty as well as auto deploy chutes on reentry and it's all working with no bugs.

I have deleted all the my mods. I tried it completely vanilla and it still happened. I verified my game cache through steam it reacquired a few missing things. Again I had a vanilla install and it still happened. I uninstalled ksp and even with a clean install and not mods installed besides SDHI and its dependencies, 6000 meters the ship flies straight away from the camera. I only have this problem with SDHI installed, and whenever the heatsheild is not used on the ship it works fine. This is really frustrating because i just don't know how to fix it. No blame on anyone of course Im just frustrated because it works for everyone else.

I have deleted all the my mods. I tried it completely vanilla and it still happened. I verified my game cache through steam it reacquired a few missing things. Again I had a vanilla install and it still happened. I uninstalled ksp and even with a clean install and not mods installed besides SDHI and its dependencies, 6000 meters the ship flies straight away from the camera. I only have this problem with SDHI installed, and whenever the heatsheild is not used on the ship it works fine. This is really frustrating because i just don't know how to fix it. No blame on anyone of course Im just frustrated because it works for everyone else.

1. now that you've verified that you have the same problem by duplicating the original circumstances it occured in, have you tried Sumghai's suggestion to remove the KMBuoyancy modules? If you need helpmdoing so please let us know.
  2. At any point have you tried rebuilding the craft or at least replacing the parts giving trouble? Sadly fixes are often not backwards reaching and preexisting craft or craft files may still have trouble.

When I was having the 6000m rocket fly away problem it was an old version of RealChute. Make sure you have the newest one and it stops happening.

Just went through that problem. Had old version of RealChute radial 'drag' on my shuttle. Did the spinal tap flex dance at 6000m. Did like the 'we are supposed to' and get rid of all old, installed new version of RC and then put new version on and shuttle flies great....

Must remember, read installation notes, FOLLOW installation notes, save headaches....

I'm getting weird behavior from my install of the Service Module System. Every time I pull the Avionics ring out, it puffs smoke up as though it was decoupling... while in the VAB. :P Any idea why?

http://imgur.com/a/5udVu#0

That's my modlist. I'm utterly stumped. Could it be because I'm running 64 bit? I don't have this problem with other decouplers.

I'm getting weird behavior from my install of the Service Module System. Every time I pull the Avionics ring out, it puffs smoke up as though it was decoupling... while in the VAB. :P Any idea why?

That's my modlist. I'm utterly stumped. Could it be because I'm running 64 bit? I don't have this problem with other decouplers.

Check the version on Firespitter plugin

Ok, I too have the 6000m bug, but I got a bit more of an idea of what's happening, just not why. So, I was launching the modified version of the KW Rocketry version of the Saturn 5 SLS, and at 6000m I noticed that my SRB caps and the RCS tanks on my service module disappeared and the camera angle shifted slightly. As more parts were jettisoned, the angle got worse until I made it into orbit. Once I did and started a time warp, everything snapped back into place. When I slowed time back down that's when I saw both the SM fuel tanks and the LEM fuel tanks jump out of the stack and float several meters off axis. Mass is the same, it just shifted CoM, and that's why the camera went crazy. It just didn't shift so much for me at 6000m because those tanks were so tiny compared to everything else and didn't affect CoM much.

Now before you ask, yes, I do have the latest RealChute, I double checked, then deleted and reinstalled for good measure. Also picked up the newest version of Klockheed Martian parts as well. I'm thinking it might be the KM stuff, as I uninstalled the SMS and subbed in one of the KM heat shields, and it's doing the same thing. I'll do some more testing tonight, but I had to give it up last night before I punched my screen. ;) I was able to, with judicious use of time warp, get the payload into orbit around the Mun, but poor Jeb and crew are stuck as there is no way I can get the lander down with a floating fuel tank like this.

Well, I'd like to keep the heat shield If I can, they look good on the craft, and it makes sense. I'll try deleting the KM boyancy module out of the .cfg and see if that helps, but will that just turn it into a "dumb" heat shield? As in no boyancy, no inflation animation? I would assume that probably the other inflatable bits from KM would cause the same issue, I'll have to experiment. Just curious what it's conflicting with to cause this bug.

Check the version on Firespitter plugin
I'm absolutely certain that Firespitter's plugin is up to date. It's not Firespitter's fault.

Fox62, we need to see your output_log.txt in order to confirm the issue - merely listing what add-ons you have won't help.

The Avionics Ring decoupler uses Starwaster's AnimatedDecouplers plugin. It has worked fine for me in the 32-bit version of the game, and so you may wish to test it there as well before writing it off as an x64 issue.

Well, I'd like to keep the heat shield If I can, they look good on the craft, and it makes sense. I'll try deleting the KM boyancy module out of the .cfg and see if that helps, but will that just turn it into a "dumb" heat shield? As in no boyancy, no inflation animation? I would assume that probably the other inflatable bits from KM would cause the same issue, I'll have to experiment. Just curious what it's conflicting with to cause this bug.

If you read the documentation, you'll see that the KM plugins are for the floatation collar feature.

Note to all users experiencing the 6000m bug - please set up a separate, stripped down 32-bit KSP install with just SDHI SMS and its dependencies, and see if the issue still persists. It is possible that one of your other add-ons are causing this issue.

Re: the heat shield, I had a similar problem but it was not during launch. I had gone to the Mun's SOI, accidentally switched to a piece of debris. when I switched back, the Mun 'left me behind'. I couldnt find the ship. I removed the KMBuoyancy module from the heat shield and reloaded the game and was able to switch back to that ship normally.

So those of you having trouble with the heat shield, instead of removing it outright, try removing the plugin behind the inflatable ring as was suggested before.

I'll tinker pull out the plugin tonight when I get home, I HAD read the documentation, and it was going to be my next step anyway. I was just curious if it just turned the heat shield into a featureless prop or if the inflation but would still work. I guess I'll find out in a couple hours when I crack open the files and see for myself, though. If this doesn't fix it, I'm going to make another copy of KSP tonight and keep it stock for dev testing and whatnot. I'll play with it in there if I can't solve it in the mod build.

I've added a new version of the AnimatedDecoupler that implements Sarbian's x64 decoupling fix.

I've not had a chance to test it and will not be able to test it in a 64 bit environment anyway. Try it out if you experience decoupling force problems using 64 bit KSP only.

Don't use it if you don't have trouble with decoupling force in 64 bit KSP.

https://github.com/Starwaster/AnimatedDecouplers/blob/X64/AnimatedDecouplers.x64.zip

If anyone needs to report issues with the plugin, please use the issue tracker on the plugin's issue section on its Github page.

Edit: I'll still answer queries or requests re: the plugin here, but I could miss it here...

Edited by Starwaster

Having an issue with the Clampotron parachute. The drogue chute works and deploys fine, the main chute pops correctly, then when it gets to deployment altitude the game just crashes. I've got the latest version of realchute installed. Running 24.2 32-bit. Any tips? Any files I can upload to help diagnose it?

I removed the KM_Buoyancy stuff from the SDHI 2.5m heatshield and the strange behaviours disappeared. I can live without the inflatables.
Having an issue with the Clampotron parachute. The drogue chute works and deploys fine, the main chute pops correctly, then when it gets to deployment altitude the game just crashes. I've got the latest version of realchute installed. Running 24.2 32-bit. Any tips? Any files I can upload to help diagnose it?

output_log.txt (or player.log for Mac or Linux)

To find your log file:

• Windows: KSP_win\KSP_Data\output_log.txt
  • Mac OSX: Open Console, on the left side of the window there is a menu that says 'files'. Scroll down the list and find the Unity drop down, under Unity there will be Player.log Aka Files>~/Library/Logs>Unity>Player.log
  • Linux: ~/.config/unity3d/Squad/Kerbal\ Space\ Program/Player.log
  • NOT ksp.log file. Especially not ever.

Working fine for me in .24.2 except for the fact, that the fairingless engine for the service module is not showing any effects.
problem is still there

Have you installed the latest version of HotRockets properly?

Are you able to test SDHI + all dependencies on a stripped-down KSP installation? (i.e. no other add-ons)

I've added a new version of the AnimatedDecoupler that implements Sarbian's x64 decoupling fix.

I've not had a chance to test it and will not be able to test it in a 64 bit environment anyway. Try it out if you experience decoupling force problems using 64 bit KSP only.

Don't use it if you don't have trouble with decoupling force in 64 bit KSP.

https://github.com/Starwaster/AnimatedDecouplers/blob/X64/AnimatedDecouplers.x64.zip

If anyone needs to report issues with the plugin, please use the issue tracker on the plugin's issue section on its Github page.

Edit: I'll still answer queries or requests re: the plugin here, but I could miss it here...

Much appreciated, bud. I'll update the project descriptions at all my download locations to include this note.

With regards to the 6 km camera issue, I've heard it may be tangentially related to RealChutes, as there are people not using SDHI that are also experiencing the issue. Apparently, a fresh savegame may also fix the problem.

EDIT: Also, try the latest version of the Klockheed Martian plugins, released just 3 hours ago.

Edited by sumghai

Ok, so I had doublechecked versions of everything, the SMS and all required plugins, tried it on my normal build, still had the same bugs. Ran it on my stock build, with no other mods, flawless. Did a little snooping, found unofficial recompiles of the last to mods I had that showed incompatibility with .24.2, KAS and Modular Fuel Tanks. Got them installed on my modded build, no more compatibility errors, and... no more SMS bugs! NONE! :P

Now that everything is running well, I'm in love with this pack. I did have an issue last night, where the game had crashed while I was running my Apollo mission back to Kerbin. After restarting the game and loading the save, the capsule was hovering about 10 cm over the heat shield with a small but noticable gap between. All the parts I attached to the capsule were clipped inside of it as well. Time warp would snap it into place, but as soon as it went to 1x it'd jump off the heat shield again. Performed ok, and was able to bring it down for a splashdown with no other glitches.

Oh, and the Mk 1-2 capsule seems to be stuck on low res on both of my KSP builds, even though both of my builds are on full res settings, but it's a very minor thing to me.

Oh, and the Mk 1-2 capsule seems to be stuck on low res on both of my KSP builds, even though both of my builds are on full res settings, but it's a very minor thing to me.

Not an SDHI issue; he's not doing anything with SDHI that affects the capsule itself. I'd take a look at Advanced Texture Management and check its settings for Squad.

I've installed all of the mods that you said where required to make the service module work, however, the RealChutes are failing to do anything, not even the chutes that come with the RealChutes mod are activating; or showing that its a parachute. I've tried to reinstall Realchutes- Nothing happened. You said that you cannot customize the docking ports for the service module, but when are they supposed to activate? All of the times I've done a launchpad abort, in flight abort, or just re-entry no parachute deployed. Please fix this.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.