Large Kerbal Accelaerator

Build Rules:

Anything goes in terms of build style (no engine clipping though!) but your Kerbal on EVA must not leave the Launchpad area, until the final jump!

The jump itself should not be from any higher than 100m, and ideally should be off some sort of short diving board, see video!

You may use the jet-pack for extra distance but once you land you must immediately stop (if you survived) when you land and screenshot mission statistics.

Judged on Ground distance covered; 1m = 1 point and you get 1,000 points if the Kerbal survives!

Submissions should include a screenshot of 1,) Your machine, 2,) Your Kerbal leaping into said Machine and 3,) Final mission statistics!

Video outline can be found below and my main weekly challenge thread here

Edited by glen.mack

However complicated it looks, according to the log was Bill accelerated by just two engines. I have improved the result slightly by adjusting the angle of the machine (7582 meters) but it's still just two engines. Adding further stages changed nothing on that. So it could probably be all made significantly simpler and the record could be obtained by placing the two engines at optimal places.

Edit: more likely I'm just on the edge of the physics engine and the result depends on how long is the first step made after the Kerbal gets caught by the flame.

Edited by Kasuha

Hmmm, the "Anything Goes" rule, in the past it's lead to part-clipped canons and the winner having the most mainsails in the same place. I just made one with only four and without any tuning it's getting 1200m/s at launch and 8Km. The top of a slippery slope? :)

yvtf.png

adcw.png

7sxf.png

311h.png

Hmmm, the "Anything Goes" rule, in the past it's lead to part-clipped canons and the winner having the most mainsails in the same place. I just made one with only four and without any tuning it's getting 1200m/s at launch and 8Km. The top of a slippery slope? :)

By "anything goes" I kind of meant any build, linear cannon, curved accelerator, I didn't think people would, (and so far you're the first) to post a part clipped cannon, but I think in fairness, part clipping will have to be banned, and I'll update the thread, thanks for pointing it out though!

Yet another entry by me! Edited to include no part clipping!

NEW LAUNCHER!

DF0FrMX.png

I couldn't get an image of the jump, the moment eva occurs the launch begins!

Results -

JFiDke2.png

But during the testing, i found this anomaly...

4M9y4GY.png

What could it be?

Edited by G4S3FR

Ok thought this would be fun. I launched him and well I think he got pretty far!

Ok here it is in the VAB.

kqqB8cQ.jpg

Here he is on the launch pad about to fly.

VAm0rUy.png

Here are the final mission stats. He didn't survive.

ZY0mjzn.png

I did use rcs after he started his flight

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.