Don't know if asked or confirmed: 3 m parts?

As the title states, where 3 meter parts asked before and or where they confirmed?

Also, I don't if this fits here. This section that is.

The true reason I'm asking is because they use larger than 3 meter and 3 meter tanks all the time in real life. The Orion Capsule is bigger than 3 meters and holds 4 crew, which is something I'd love to use in KSP. Plus, larger diameter parts are very practical and fairly epic, and stock KSP parts are my preference over modded parts.

Sorry for dumping a possibly over asked question in a section that it probably doesn't belong in. Just wanted an answer.

Edited by GeneralHavan

The KSP universe is scaled down from real life, i believe the scale ratio is something like almost 1/10 scale (Kerbin's diameter to Earth's). 3m to kerbals is larger to them than it is to us. In fact, the SLS system NASA is developing uses 8.4m diameter tanks. In essence, the 2m command pod is the KSP analogue of a Orion style cockpit. It's just stylized to have 3 kerbals as in the Apollo program.

Now, i've not heard of there being any 3m parts anytime soon. I personally think they'd be too much to handle, especially since we can already get some pretty high payload fractions with the 2m parts and a little ingenuity (Yes, i mean you, Whackjob). As a veteran of KSP, i remember having the NovaPunch mod back in 1.2 or something, and i didn't care much for the monstrous parts of the pack. There was trouble adapting the mod parts to the stock ones, and they were structurally unstable. Even if they made stock 3m parts, they would be a little overkill in my opinion.

Edited by Dynamo

True, but Novapunch's parts used to have a degree of eccentricity to them. I've never really agreed with how they did it. KW Rocketry has always done it right in my honest opinion. I'm a veteran player as well, though not as seasoned. I've only been playing since .18, but I'm no newbie. 3 meter parts would be great for massive fuel stores in space, seeing as Jumbo 64's only last so long in my experience. A massive fuel tank attached to a smaller refueling rig would look awesome and would've been quite the challenge to get up there. Really, 3 meter parts would be complete overkill, and I'd use them for massive missions to Eve or entire space station launches. Plus, one giant rocket with a Mun mission strapped to the top would look amazing.

But yeah... it would be complete overkill.

Really, 3 meter parts would be complete overkill, and I'd use them for massive missions to Eve or entire space station launches. Plus, one giant rocket with a Mun mission strapped to the top would look amazing.

Overkill from the point of it being possible to do without them, yes... but, if you want a more realistic-looking rocket, you simply need wider tanks the stock 2.5m ones. A fairly accurate Apollo/Saturn V-style design needs 5m tanks along with the 3.75m ones.

29McI9h.png

I simply cannot stand the "flying industrial tank-farm" look of building a rocket that can do the same thing out of stock parts.

Edited by RoboRay

For note, I believe the KW tanks of largest diameter are 3.75m, by the way. NOT 3m even. As the stock large tanks and KW medium-size tanks are 2.5m in diameter, 3m would not be much bigger, which the 3.75m parts are, in fact, much larger.

However, NovaPunch did offer some strange sizes, I believe. They had 1.25, 2.5, and 3.75 as is the standard sizes, but I believe they also offered 2.18m and obviously 5m parts. The 2.18m parts were ideal for a 2-man Gemini-Titan II type rocket.

Yes, I would much enjoy more sizes in the stock game, and in the modding community in general. The only problem is as stated, standard sizes. If nobody built to a standard, our parts would be all over the place and rockets would look quite funky.

Ugh, but 2.18 meter would have been perfect for the bottom end of the core of a 2.5m Soyuz rocket..

It's not confirmed, I don't believe, but it certainly has been brought up and to the attention to the devs, I'd think, by now.

EDIT: Also, it is NOT .5m for the probe-sized parts, they are .625m in diameter. And anyone who finds the stock .625m selection a bit lacking, I highly advise you to check out RLA Stockalike. It seems like it's the predecessor to the spirit of KSPX, adding parts into the game where there currently are none. It offers some impressive .625m selection of bipropellant tanks and two bipropellant engines, and I think there's a few monopropellant engines in there as well. So that.

Edited by M5000

I simply cannot stand the "flying industrial tank-farm" look of building a rocket that can do the same thing out of stock parts.

I don't like pancake ships either, I ended up with one for the demo and vowed not to build like that in the full version. The result is my launches are much smaller with craft assembled and refueled in orbit. My heaviest tonnage to orbit is a bit over 40 tons (my newest fuel tanker) and my large ships, like my in-development interplanetary supply ship with over 250 tons of fuel is sent into orbit with nearly empty tanks (The booster stage is essentially three X200-16 fuel tanks and three Mainsails, but piped into the ships main fuel system).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.