Google Moon Kickstarter pleads for $10M

Mr. Scruffy

Google aside, the only thing stopping me from throwing money at is twofold.

1) I'm 17, I have no money to throw.

2) I won't throw it at plans that are heavily reliant on everything falling together perfectly and are doomed to failure by Murphey's law (*cough*Mars One*cough*)

google is a big enough boy to fund it's own $10 million.

It´s just a test of potential profits - if they can get close to this number, they can expect some people might actually use it. Read the site i didnt link to (and which which doesnt exist)!

If Google did a Manned Mission to the Moon Kickstarter, I would definitely donate. It would probably need more than a measly $10 million though. I can see the promotions now:

"Google: the world at your fingertips. And so much more..."

"Google maps, don't leave Earth without it."

"Google: on the moon and in your pocket."

"The moon's greatest moment powered by earth's greatest company."

Gimme some uh dat!

It's only a matter of time until deep space missions are crowdsourced.

Hell, it's already started - I've seen successful Kickstarters for small CubeSat missions.

How would you go about that? I'm in the U.S. CAP and my squadron has been planning to do that but hasn't due to limited funds.

Just curious.

google is a big enough boy to fund it's own $10 million.

Good point. Infact...Google has actually offered $30 million to the first private funded teams that successfully land a robot on the moon. The grand prize is $20 million, with the $10 million left being given to other participants. That being said, the odds of Google asking for 1/3 that for a kickstarter of their own seems highly illogical.

How would you go about that? I'm in the U.S. CAP and my squadron has been planning to do that but hasn't due to limited funds.

Just curious.

I saw one a while back (seems to be gone now) that took people's messages and tweeted them from LEO. And then there's this. Ambitious? Yes. Is their cost estimate off? Most probably. Interesting? Hell yes.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.