Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) 0.4.7 - Pipes as fuel lines and even fewer explosions!

Majiir

I have a question. Are the winches supposed to have extend and retract control now? Because they don't. Or at least the one I tested didn't.

Newest version I DLed yesterday, sent a ship to refuel Jeb's Lander on the moon so he could get home.

I could not grab the connector from the winch with Jeb. I had to eject the head of the winch from the vehicle control it self.

Then I had to send Jeb over to pick it up. Grab is now changed to "Y" but still says "G" in the context menu. I grabbed it and then refueled the ship for Jeb's return no problem.

Then there was no way to retract the winch and the GUI only said close and rename. No other options were available. It was a probe ship so I just terminated it.

I did try and reload the flight from the com-station a few times but I never got the option to extend or retract the winch.

I use those winches all the time for various things. If they are not working anymore then why include them in the pack?

Bug Number 2.

If you try to connect a pipe from a ground pylon to a ship, you get spontaneous combustion of the pipe end point on the ship. It works just fine when you try to connect it from the ship to the pylon. It was almost a direct shot. Not a harsh angle or anything.

In terms of functionality, this mod is now less functional than it was before. All of the new things are nice. Ultimately, the changes are not worth giving up the reliability the mod had before. It was to a state where I almost never quick saved before making a connection and I never thought twice about refueling a ship. Now you never know what is or isn't going to work or if parts of your craft will just explode for no known reason.

Edited by Payload

How do I change the default controls? I'd like to remove or alternatively temporarily deactivate the NumPad controls as I'm using those for rover controls.

(If "Toggle control" is supposed to temp deactivate, it's bugged, 'cause it's not doing anything)

Honestly it seems kinda pointless to me to fracture the tree like this...we are gonna end up with 100 tech trees and updating mods is gonna become a nightmare....

The stock techtree is aranged in a resonable manner, there are a fair amount of nodes...and ANYONE can put anything into anynode on the current tree... If you dont like something it takes a couple seconds to change the node the part is in....

I completely agree. This is one of the things I've been most concerned about w/ Mods + Career mode. I tend to play with a ton of mods and I really don't want a crazy tech tree as a result. That said, I already mod most of my mods anyway, so I assume I can just set it up the way I want without too much trouble as it is. The interstellar mod is the one that I suspect will always give me the most trouble with tweaking because it does science a little bit differently.

So, after adding aviation lights to the KAS config to make them grabbable and all the wonderful fun i've had with them since.. I have to ask. Is there any harm in just adding parts to popular mods to this file? Things that seem like they should fit, such as the MJ AR202 case, protractor, engineer, aviation lights.. maybe the small kethane scanner. stuff like that. we could vote on them or something, don't need to clutter it up too bad but the popular ones would be handy.

Would errors happen if a part is listed there but someone doesn't have that mod installed?

I planned to use anchor to stop my landers from toppling over on low gravity bodies.

However, ist seems that upon releasing, anchor moves with freefall speed! Which on minmus is low.

I imagined it like that: im 4 meters over ground, i eject anchors that immediatly are placed in ground and i retrack ropes to place lander firmly.

But anchor is too slow. Retraction forse seems small too.

Edited by kiwiak

For some strange reason every time I try to connect my fuel ferry with my kethane miner via pipes and ground pylons, the things tip over or, in one case, start floating off into the air.

This is fun!

screenshot12.png

Thanks for the great laugh I just got out of this picture...

That isn't "Cartman Kerman" is it?

Stan Kerman: "Cartman, there's a 80 foot satellite dish sticking outta your a**!"

Cartman Kerman: "Sure, you guys. What-ever..."

Hi i am also having the same problem as Gnaar_mok, when i place the container on my craft and then right click it to edit the contents. no menu comes up i've also tried re installing ksp and only using KAS as the active mod. Please help, i would love to play with this mod

Hmm. An idea: Add Separatrons to the list of grabbable parts. Fun rocket pack, or useful emergency escape system?

PS: Built a small one-man LKO ship specifically to test the parachute thing. Put Jeb in it, since a triple-aerobraking followed by a high-speed skydive, both while on EVA, seem like exactly the thing Jeb would do.

Edited by zxczxczbfg

I like the separatron idea. They are small enough and useful as a backup plan if things go wrong with the engines. Still waiting on question about adding other mod parts to cfg..

I have another suggestion.. the right click menu in VAB is still bugging me. Is there a way to change it so you have to mouse over and hit a key? Much like the procedural wings/tanks interface. This way you don't have accidental menu in the face.

For those that want access to the parts in career mode, or who want to integrate the KAS parts into the existing tech tree here is what you need to do...

Go into the KAS parts folder and open each part's config file. Add the following under the "Editor Parameters" heading:

TechRequired = basicRocketry 

Change basicRocketry to whatever node you want. if you just want everything use:

TechRequired = start

For example the file should look sort of like this when you're done:

// --- editor parameters ---
TechRequired = start
cost = 1
category = Utility
subcategory = x
title = Title of part
manufacturer = whatever Labs
description = description here

Note: some of the files dont have the editor parameters section so just add the techrequired part above the cost in the cfg files.

Note2: after you do this and start the game, you have to go in to the r&d building and unlock the parts individually if you placed them in a node you've already researched.

hope this helps.

Edited by AtomicOne

This plugin is completely broken for me. On a clean stock install. I attach a part to the stack winch-any part will do-bind a key to extend, and it either doesn't even extend or it drops forever through the craft and the terrain. I was really looking forward to using this in my Curiosity/spirit-esque rover, but I guess not. Oh well. Time to spam parachutes :(

For those that want access to the parts in career mode, or who want to integrate the KAS parts into the existing tech tree here is what you need to do...

Go into the KAS parts folder and open each part's config file. Add the following under the "Editor Parameters" heading:

TechRequired = basicRocketry 

hope this helps.

Thank you so much for the simple and clear explanation of how to do this

it is so simple but makes a huge difference

I was too lazy to dig around int he game files myself to figure out how the tech tree worked

your effort is greatly appreciated

Thank you again good sir

Edited by khaine

First of all thank you for this great mod. It works fine for me (most times) but I have one major issue i wasn't able to fix. Whenever I'm building some sort of "solar power module" for my base ( which i connect with pipes) I end up wondering myself why the power transfer from the solar panels to the other parts of the network doesn't work. The energy flow inside the network itself is fine, don't get me wrong but whenever I'm attaching a solar array while EVA it doesn't work. I can retract and extend the panels from my control module (and usually this means they are connected) and I'm also getting the feedback from the solar panels that the solar panels indeed produce energy and nothing is in their way.

First of all thank you for this great mod. It works fine for me (most times) but I have one major issue i wasn't able to fix. Whenever I'm building some sort of "solar power module" for my base ( which i connect with pipes) I end up wondering myself why the power transfer from the solar panels to the other parts of the network doesn't work. The energy flow inside the network itself is fine, don't get me wrong but whenever I'm attaching a solar array while EVA it doesn't work. I can retract and extend the panels from my control module (and usually this means they are connected) and I'm also getting the feedback from the solar panels that the solar panels indeed produce energy and nothing is in their way.

I think a quick save and reload solves that problem, could be wrong but I think last time I tried it worked. Deep in the carrier mode so haven't messed with too many KAS parts recently.

I think a quick save and reload solves that problem, could be wrong but I think last time I tried it worked. Deep in the carrier mode so haven't messed with too many KAS parts recently.

Thank you, it fixed the bug, now works like charm:wink: