Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) 0.4.7 - Pipes as fuel lines and even fewer explosions!

Majiir

you can right click on the bay itself and tell it to release the container.

But only if you mounted the container correctly. There are two nodes the container will attach to, and you need to connect it to the outer one.

Could you please attend to a - to me, gamebreakingly serious - bug?

Whenever a winch releases a cable that carries a part like the magnet or the connector port, so the [docked] button appears, it will reset your throttle to zero.

Whenever you retract the cable so it snaps in position again, or hit the dock button manually, it will again set your throttle to zero.

For Helicopters, VTOLs and other atmospheric crafts this means you die instantly.

The winch should not touch the throttle at any time, or interfere with your craft's steering.

Also, any part not defined KAS-useable by default, that you set to ge grab-able or storable in a container, will get miniaturized to about 2x2 pixels. See TAC Self destruct, or try making a Kerbpro from HullCamVDS storable. They end up too tiny to target or use.

I've made kethane storage tanks, kethane drills, and multiple different solar arrays and lights from various mods KAS-able, and all turned out fine in size - you're likely not doing correctly, or copying over too much information in your module manager file

Just me or are the struts comically weak? I added some to a folding station design, using IR hinges to hinge out 5m trusses with docking ports on the ends, added strut connectors to the top and bottom of each near the docking port, struts in the same direction as the hinge to counter motion, added strut connectors to the main body of the station 45 degrees up and down from the docking port location, made a kerbal go out there and join all the points together, ship bumping into the docking port a bit still makes the entire arm bend, and can make the struts snap loose, it's nowhere near as strong as the stock struts, not to mention the KW struts.

http://i.imgur.com/RzAbV2W.jpg

Would be nice if they were strong enough to be viable for assembling stations, securing loads connected to winches etc.

Action grouped Quantum struts or strut guns. They're very stiff and strong. Aim them so when your station unfolds and the struts are turned on, they brace the parts. Have to be careful with placement or they can pry pieces of a ship apart on the launchpad, even with the KJR mod.

I've used quantum struts to brace a folded DROMOMAN arm with a docking port on the end so it could be used like a normally mounted port for in orbit docking.

Hello,

Would it be possible to include something like large version of pipes? Pipes looks cool for building bases on surface or stations in space but they are too thin (and to weight too little for sake of Kerbal realism) to be used as mean of transport between parts of base or station for kerbals itself. I.e. it would be cool to be able to use it as tunnels similar to graphic here:

SHADO%20Moonbase%20FINAL7j.jpg

I was looking for something similar but I wasn't lucky to find anything and KAS pipes looks (and works) closer to what is needed.

Thanks!

Just me or are the struts comically weak?

The strength is set in the configuration file, KAS/Parts/strut1/strut1.cfg - it's fairly trivial to change it, or to copy and edit to make an additional type of stronger strut.

You could try this

Those are fixed, LLL has similar parts, we're talking about something as flexible and easy to join up as pipes.

The strength is set in the configuration file, KAS/Parts/strut1/strut1.cfg - it's fairly trivial to change it, or to copy and edit to make an additional type of stronger strut.

I looked there first, nothing in there about strength.

Hello,

Would it be possible to include something like large version of pipes? Pipes looks cool for building bases on surface or stations in space but they are too thin (and to weight too little for sake of Kerbal realism) to be used as mean of transport between parts of base or station for kerbals itself. I.e. it would be cool to be able to use it as tunnels similar to graphic here:

http://www.keithmcneill.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/SHADO%20Moonbase%20FINAL7j.jpg

I was looking for something similar but I wasn't lucky to find anything and KAS pipes looks (and works) closer to what is needed.

Thanks!

What picture is this from?

How were you making the connection? I use the winch for a tether all the time and never had this happen. In my case I always grab the cable without any coupling device. I did have the funny problem of my little guy spinning around like crazy when trying to pull in using the cable after his jetpack fuel ran out. :P

Yeah I did the same; attaching directly to the winch with nothing else, and it seemed to act as though the Kerbal and the ship were one object, with the CoM halfway down the cable :s maybe it's just because I forgot to engage the SAS?

What line specifically? I've tried tweaking it with no luck.

And I seem to be getting a lot of bugged un-undockable docking ports when using these struts...

MODULE

{

name = KASModuleStrut

nodeTransform = strutNode

type = "StrutSize1"

maxLenght = 8

maxAngle = 100

breakForce = 1

allowDock = false

hasCollider = false

tubeScale = 0.05

jointScale = 0.05

tubeSrcType = Rounded

tubeTgtType = Rounded

textureTiling = 4

evaStrutPos = (0.05, 0.059, -0.21)

evaStrutRot = (190.0, 0.0, 0.0)

tubeTexPath = KAS/Textures/strut

}

best guess is breakForce = 1 might try 10 or maybe 0 just have to play with it ?

You could try this

Well nice mod, but this is rigid, therefore impractical especially in case of building base on moon or some other body - because even when using mechjeb it is almost impossible to actually put parts close enough to dock them at the surface.

I don't know if even post it here or the Kethane thread :P.

The thing is I am trying to build an out-of-the box satellite for kethane with improved surface scanning (ir order to avoid hours of accelerated time to scan the whole orbital object) by using the KAS system to deploy the antennas as far as I can from each other to catch more hexagons of surface. The funny thing is that is sound as feasible as it is and the shape of my prototype at the moment is like this:

3BC9A6D201C012BAF2C18C43F954A997D4D260E3

(the multidirectional approach is to have always the same distance even with the satellite rotating while orbiting).

The even funnier thing is that once is deployed into orbit, it becones an spinning octopus, with the extendable probes swinging.

05E560F119B59D46113CFA6A27FE5C5510CB81C0

I must say is a completely "FLAIL". Any ideas to improve the design? I believe I need some kind of rigid winch but my knowledge of KAS doesn't go to far beyond. Is it possible or I should aim to another thing? I thinking of trying "spinning stabilization".

Edited by Vesparco

Well nice mod, but this is rigid, therefore impractical especially in case of building base on moon or some other body - because even when using mechjeb it is almost impossible to actually put parts close enough to dock them at the surface.

Or at least almost impossible to maneuver them with any finesse once on the surface, you need a crane, and even that's tricky, would be nice if there was some wheels that fit on the underside of parts flush or near flush like the landing gear, but they're omni-directional like the TT ones, make them extend past landing gear or raise the landing gear to put the weight on the wheels, move it where you want it (slow and steady would be fine obviously) and then raise the legs/wheels to rest it in place, that would allow you to move around a bit, but docking on the surface is beyond horrible to attempt, still need something to join A to B with some wiggle room like pipes.

Vesparco: cool idea and all, but at orbital altitudes you can't make a ship large enough to cover more than one hexagon.

Edited by K3|Chris

I don't know if even post it here or the Kethane thread :P.

The thing is I am trying to build an out-of-the box satellite for kethane with improved surface scanning (ir order to avoid hours of accelerated time to scan the whole orbital object) by using the KAS system to deploy the antennas as far as I can from each other to catch more hexagons of surface. The funny thing is that is sound as feasible as it is and the shape of my prototype at the moment is like this:

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/3281171992670316603/3BC9A6D201C012BAF2C18C43F954A997D4D260E3/

(the multidirectional approach is to have always the same distance even with the satellite rotating while orbiting).

The even funnier thing is that once is deployed into orbit, it becones an spinning octopus, with the extendable probes swinging.

http://cloud-3.steampowered.com/ugc/3281171992670330610/05E560F119B59D46113CFA6A27FE5C5510CB81C0/

I must say is a completely "FLAIL". Any ideas to improve the design? I believe I need some kind of rigid winch but my knowledge of KAS doesn't go to far beyond. Is it possible or I should aim to another thing? I thinking of trying "spinning stabilization".

Sadly, I can save you the bother, by telling you that kethane scanners on a single vessel are all considered to be at the center of mass of the vessel when determining what hex they are scanning. In other words, no matter how big your ship, it will only ever scan one hex at a time.

This has been discussed and tried a few times over in the kethane thread, and Majiir has explained that it will never succeed with the way Kethane (currently) operates.

Personally, I once my SCANsat maps are fully covered, I just turn on Kethane's debug mode and "simulate" complete scanning.

Or at least almost impossible to maneuver them with any finesse once on the surface, you need a crane, and even that's tricky, would be nice if there was some wheels that fit on the underside of parts flush or near flush like the landing gear, but they're omni-directional like the TT ones, make them extend past landing gear or raise the landing gear to put the weight on the wheels, move it where you want it (slow and steady would be fine obviously) and then raise the legs/wheels to rest it in place, that would allow you to move around a bit, but docking on the surface is beyond horrible to attempt, still need something to join A to B with some wiggle room like pipes.

That is why I love tubes, you can mechjab land in couple of meters distances and connect base using tubes, actually approach done in "Bavarian Aerospace: Tubes!" is not bad, you may bring large number of pieces and assemble it on surface, but still it looks like that mode is dead and somehow unfinished... (at least since November).

Big semitransparent tubes is what we need! :)