saturn v with stock parts?

Mulbin's munbug series and my own saturn V should lift a bit less than 20 tons to a trans münar injection - and from the construction technique we used to make those would not be able to lift much more without adding several mainsails and jumbo tanks :)

A 40 tons to TMI 3 stage rocket like saturn V with stock parts would be quite a challenge. :) (severe risks of crushing the first stage with the rocket's weight in a 3 stage configuration)

Asparagus / booster assisted staging would be a much more likely candidate for this kind of weight :)

Edited by sgt_flyer

There is a tutorial on the wiki, found at this link, that contains detailed instructions on creating a stock Saturn V and running it through an Apollo style CSM-based landing mission.

i've done some calc. with that rocket and it gives 1.2 twr at launch. a payload of 120 tons will overload that rocket and the engines will not give enough thrust.

Edited by deepspacecreeper

hello, is there a saturn v analougue out there with payload of 120 to low kerbin orbit and 40 to trans-mun injection? also requires good twr (1.7-2.2)

These are contradictory requirements: 40t to the Mun doesn't need 120t to LKO, 13t of fuel will get 40t to a Mun intercept using a poodle.

Kerbin is not Earth!

Edit: FWIW I have made a 200t to LKO "classic" staged rocket, bracing it so that the stages don't collapse on the launchpad was painful.

These are contradictory requirements: 40t to the Mun doesn't need 120t to LKO, 13t of fuel will get 40t to a Mun intercept using a poodle.

Kerbin is not Earth!

Edit: FWIW I have made a 200t to LKO "classic" staged rocket, bracing it so that the stages don't collapse on the launchpad was painful.

i meant at least

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Sorry to drege up an old thread, but here is a working fully stock saturn v (as of 25/05/17).  Happy to answer any related flight questions.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2e15kcg7rqtmzho/Saturn V Stock.craft?dl=0

Stats: launch 696.408t

orbit ~80t

parts 305

5FF19228AF2F19659782E3B9F8574E229261EC1F

15A402E5BC8B8FB3C4483CAE3C6C2C8B504FC1DF

40DB929AEFF42160062AB432E05256C24D1A029D

Edited by Semicon
images added, stats added

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.