[WIP]Survival Pack for EVAs

Helix935

Update

ok i just finished the model and the .mu for the new shape of the survival pack which will include slightly higher capacity due to its shape

40lEH3N.png

i think i have it set in the exact spot that i wanted and know i need to figure out why the PNGs i made for the rucksack won't appear in game....

also i just realized i should have picked a better angle

ok UPDATE

i was just messing with the cfgs and i realized that the parachute would not open no matter what i did which i hope this isn't due to the lack of animations because i don't know any thing as to how this is done.

UOkYaMk.png

better angle of the Rucksack in action

Here's some I gathered up:

(absolutely no idea whether this is useful)

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/25013-Compilation-of-modding-information-links-for-0-19-20-21-22-Last-update-21st-Oct(This is a compilation of tutorials, there is some for animation near the bottom of the first post)

good effort but sadly not what i need the video is auto desk which i don't use and it doesn't include a tutorial on parachutes beside a picture and a link to a thread that i made which Sumghai commented

thanks for the effort because i can't seem to find a tutorial either so yeah

• 3 weeks later...

Excellent concept your EVA pack.

I hope you will be able to include some communications capability. It is not even imaginable for me that an astronaut goes outside without reliable comms established with his mothership, IRL. I see from this thread somebody was bothered about comms being OP, I believe this is absolutely needed. I use RT2 mod, therefore realistic comms: my kerbonauts are isolated just as they start EVA, can't be less realistic that that (with RT2 each antenna has a specific range: I believe 5 Km would be just good with a portable radio set). Heck, I can do better with a couple of walkie-talkies: how can it be nothing so simple is available for a critical part of a space mission?

Excellent concept your EVA pack.

I hope you will be able to include some communications capability. It is not even imaginable for me that an astronaut goes outside without reliable comms established with his mothership, IRL. I see from this thread somebody was bothered about comms being OP, I believe this is absolutely needed. I use RT2 mod, therefore realistic comms: my kerbonauts are isolated just as they start EVA, can't be less realistic that that (with RT2 each antenna has a specific range: I believe 5 Km would be just good with a portable radio set). Heck, I can do better with a couple of walkie-talkies: how can it be nothing so simple is available for a critical part of a space mission?

yeah i know it would be critical but since it would be OP to attach it directly into the pack it would be better to have it as a separate part that can be deployed from the pack through KAS and then loaded with science and power to transmit but before i get on that i have to finish the pack which will be when i figure out how to add textures which is annoying the crap out of me

Edit: i should probably also mention that for now i am trying to make a new model again with less tris and to fix some problems i am having so yeah

Edited by Helix935

ok update i managed to add just simple textures for it due to the fact that i just can't really do textures and the thing is so small that it would be hard to read either way so yeah

mX4ZhV4.png

it is pretty tiny so i don't think really adding stuff to the textures is a priority and i haven't animated the parachute yet so there is still work to be done

(also i should mention that i am willing to hire a guy capable of texturing ok)

err you know looking back at this thing i think it needs to be bigger so that it would actually truly look like it could hold something besides just a calculator or something because i mean really it looks tiny now...

so i decided to start another new model that would cover the RCS tanks on the kerbal but not look out of place doing so

https://sketchfab.com/show/e1b01c2f94b04344b088b85fda0a0f63

comments are appeciated

• 4 weeks later...

ok Update and although it has been a while this was due to lots of crap that has showering me for the past few weeks and the release of .23 so yeah and finished my model with so more simple textures but sadly no animation yet so here is the image

DEKvTdc.png

no release until it is done

ok i have been doing some touch ups on the model and its position and have decided that the parachute can wait and that all i need is a texture guy and the model has been optimized as i had to delete some sides that were unnecessary

http://imgur.com/a/UcpAH#0

here is the gallery

also the flag thing is currently broken

Edit: i should also mention that i will continue developing this until it is done

Edited by Helix935

Ok update i have begun work on the rough models for the new sensors that will be deployed for the Rucksack and have been progressing rather quickly but no textures yet

will add sketch fab models

Edit: now added

Planetary Surveyor which will act as Seismic Accelerometer and Negative Gravioli Detector

https://sketchfab.com/show/e4943fabb5064aacab6b13b694273854

Atmos. Scanner will have a thermometer and a barometer

https://sketchfab.com/show/e1cd4e8124b14f008664dc9bcb89528c

Materials analyzer will have Goo and Materials bay

https://sketchfab.com/show/efd33f30b8914927a24b3334ec88f484

again no texture but the basic idea is present

Edited by Helix935

• 4 weeks later...

On the narrow pack you can reduce the number of polygons by 20 simply by eliminating the tiny flat ledge at the top front where those bumps are. Lose that ledge and it also removes the need for some triangles on the sides of the bumps and sides of the pack.

The bumps are a nice detail but pretty much invisible in-game. Replacing them with just a simple bevel at the top front would reduce the polygon count more.

On the narrow pack you can reduce the number of polygons by 20 simply by eliminating the tiny flat ledge at the top front where those bumps are. Lose that ledge and it also removes the need for some triangles on the sides of the bumps and sides of the pack.

The bumps are a nice detail but pretty much invisible in-game. Replacing them with just a simple bevel at the top front would reduce the polygon count more.

thanks for the advice just so you know the one thing that is really messing with me on texturing is how to actually have the UV maps in blender have outlines of the sides because it is really the real issue as to why i can't figure out texturing

Talk to frizzank about being able to use the Geiger counter experiment he created. That would be an outstanding addition to the planetary surveying pack.

ok i will but i am already having trouble trying to actually balance the thing so that it can hold all the equipment at once without becoming unrealistic because of their size

also for those wondering i plan on keeping this thing going when RL stuff is out of the way and i'll release just the pack when i can figure out how to animate a parachute into it ( I have searched for a video tutorial to no avail) because right now it is really just a container that looks different then the normal container

Edited by Helix935
needed to clarify

• 2 weeks later...

You got someone doing your textures yet? Your signature says you need one.

Lucky for you, I'm here to help. I think. From what I can understand, you just need someone to make them, not mount them, right? I can do that. I can make them, but if it's mounting that you need then I'm not your man I'm afraid. But as I said, textures I could get done for you for sure. Am I correct in my assumption that it's just the texture creation that needs doing? Anyway, get back to me when you can and I'll let you know when I can get something done (if I can get something done).

You got someone doing your textures yet? Your signature says you need one.

Lucky for you, I'm here to help. I think. From what I can understand, you just need someone to make them, not mount them, right? I can do that. I can make them, but if it's mounting that you need then I'm not your man I'm afraid. But as I said, textures I could get done for you for sure. Am I correct in my assumption that it's just the texture creation that needs doing? Anyway, get back to me when you can and I'll let you know when I can get something done (if I can get something done).

yeah i just need a textures guy at the moment because of my inability to figure out why my attempts at textures in blender don't have borders from UV mapping....

so basically yes i need a textures guy if you want the job then sure :D

Edit: although can you show me an example of what you have done so that i know what to expect :)

Edited by Helix935

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.