data decay and probe cameras, a use for space stations and satelites

so as of right now space stations and satellites don't have that much of a use for science so i came up with an idea.

first of all, it would need a camera for a probe to take pictures of other planets for research points and be able to send that back as data.

now what I'm thinking is, the farther away from kerbin a probe is the longer it takes to receive the science points and the less you get due to transmission decay. but if you have satelites or stations with antenas on them you can set them up to run constantly as relays to intercept data from probes, and the more you have between kerbin and the probe the less decay there is.

just a basic idea

so as of right now space stations and satellites don't have that much of a use for science so i came up with an idea.

first of all, it would need a camera for a probe to take pictures of other planets for research points and be able to send that back as data.

now what I'm thinking is, the farther away from kerbin a probe is the longer it takes to receive the science points and the less you get due to transmission decay. but if you have satelites or stations with antenas on them you can set them up to run constantly as relays to intercept data from probes, and the more you have between kerbin and the probe the less decay there is.

just a basic idea

I use satellites all the time. I send them to orbit and land on planets to send science back. They say you don't get as much back if you broadcast, but if you can fill the tree with all of the science without sending kerbals up (after unlocking probes) why not do it?

1. Start With a satellite that has 2 science cans for a body, and 2-4 goo cans on the outside. Hook up some solar panels and batteries, lander legs ect.

2. I send it out to lets say Minmus and start in a high orbit. I spam transmit until I get 0 science back.

3. I descend to a lower orbit, and spam transmit again until i get 0 science back.

4. I then land on the planet, and spam transmit again until I get 0 science back.

5. I destroy probe and start on a new planet or moon.

Once I do that I look at sending kerbals to those planets for crew reports, EVA, and surface samples. That way you don't have to have the bulky science mods on your lander.

Space stations on the other-hand I agree, and i have a thread up about that already.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.