The Pan-Kerbin Space Program: A Mission Log

AndrewBCrisp

Thanks, chaoko99 :) Admittedly, this is a kind of "worldbuilding-on-the-cheap", reversing names like that, but it works for now. That said, it would be wise not to read too much into the name reversals. Yddennek is a different person than Kennedy was, and the planet he leads has different challenges than Kennedy faced. At some point, I'm going to have to sit down and really develop other aspects of Kerbal psychology, culture, government, and so on, to help push this further from a "humans in funny suits" society to something truly different.

One thing I'm thinking of, which would be a minor "retcon" in that I'd have to change pronouns in mission reports and vignettes already written, is to make the Kerbals hermaphroditic. Among other things, this would nicely sidestep the whole "female Kerbal" debate, as well as remove some... troubling... aspects that human civilization has had to deal with up to the present day. Still haven't decided to commit to the change yet, but I'm going to have to make a decision soon, especially as I'm planning to write some more detailed stories as companions to this mission log. (As for the pronouns, I'm trying to think of something that starts with 'k', though 'yd' or 'yt' are also possibilities).

Author’s note: KSP has been updated to version .23 and so far is running fine with no errors. The Procedural Fairings mod seems to have weathered the transition also. So, one big sigh of relief there. Now on to the last mission for Year 1, and the next to last log post for 2013!

Venturer 3: Goo to Duna

Date: Year 1, Day 289

Mission: Venturer 3

Goal: Duna orbiter.

With a launch window to Duna due to open up, it was time once again for the PKSA to try for the planets. Learning from the experiences of the first two Venturer probes, Venturer 3 would have a more ambitious goal: not just to travel to Duna, but to enter orbit there as well. In addition, Venturer 3 had a more robust science package than its predecessors, carrying a Mystery Goo container for observations in interplanetary and Duna orbital space.

Najzjia.png

Venturer 3, nestled in its new aerodynamic shroud, and seated on top of the Moho-VII launch vehicle

Venturer 3 would also be the first mission to employ an aerodynamic shroud over the spacecraft. “Vith previous probes, ve’ve had to deal vith performance losses from drag on ascent,†Werhner von Kerman stated. “Zese shrouds should make ascent much smoother and more efficient zan before.†When a reporter asked Werhner why they hadn’t been used before, the scientist simply muttered something about “You can’t rush genius.â€Â

Venturer 3’s launch aboard the Moho-VII launch vehicle was indeed straightforward, with no issues on ascent. Once the spacecraft left atmosphere, the shrouds were jettisoned, allowing them to fall back into Kerbin’s atmosphere, while Venturer 3 reignited its main engine and continued into orbit.

KcEfo04.png

Jettisoning the shrouds.

zf4Fa7T.png

Venturer 3 unfurls its solar panels.

It took an additional 10 hours for Venturer 3 to reach its optimal launch window, after which the LV909 booster engine was ignited, sending the probe on its interplanetary journey. Even though Venturer 3 had a fuel supply and engine similar to the previous probes, the booster remained attached after completing the trans-Duna insertion burn, as the extra fuel would be useful if the spacecraft ever suffered a guidance problem as what doomed Venturer 2. In addition, ground tracking kept a close watch on the probe as it left Kerbin’s sphere of influence, with Mission Control personnel ready to respond to any sudden change that could jeopardize the mission.

CatqtvD.png

Venturer 3’s plotted transfer orbit, just before the probe leaves Kerbin’s sphere of influence.

Dalsen Kerman was pleased with the mission’s start. “We had a humbling experience with losing Venturer 2,†he said at a press conference the next day. “From that experience we’ve learned valuable lessons and today those lessons are paying off. Next stop: Duna in 85 days!â€Â

oUxKxpt.png

Venturer 3 enters interplanetary space.

Mission Status: IN TRANSIT.

Hah!, Yeah - I'm certain that's partly how Venturer 2 went so far off course (I think, however, that another part may have been my reading the details on the KSP Launch Window calculator wrong as well. On my most recent probe, the ejection angle from LKO was not at ALL like what the site said it should be...). I've another probe on its way now, and again, I time-warped until just before it hit the SOI change, going down to 1x about a few seconds. I did notice that, once I got past the SOI "boundary" I had to timewarp again briefly for the correct trajectory to "lock".

With Venturer 3 I stayed in the mission all the way to Duna, which is why I don't have any more missions for Year 1. There will be a couple of short missions between my current probe's launch and its planned arrival at Eve (~35 days if all goes well). Fingers crossed I don't lose another probe to the Kraken!

I've noticed that as the SOI change counts down, on certain ones (mainly leaving a planetary system with moons) at around thirty seconds or so to the change, the orbital path and timer change. But the SOI change still occurs at the previously calculated point, it's just the stats and plotted course that are wrong. Once the SOI changes everything goes back to normal. Weird! Usually I notice it when leaving Kerbin, but it happens leaving Jool too.

The Pan-Kerbin Space Program - Review for Year 1

Date: Year 1, Day 365

The Pan-Kerbin Space Agency's first year has been a very good year indeed, moving from success to success. From nothing at year's start, Kerbals have now orbited Kerbin, the Mun and Minmus, and returned safely. Kerbals have experienced the conditions of space for up to five days at a time, and returned home with no ill effects. Probes have been launched to the planets with varying success, and the Mun now has an artificial satellite of its own.

In all, the PKSA has launched 19 missions from the Kerbal Space Center. 18 of those saw capsules or probes enter space. 14 missions saw a capsule return to Kerbin safely. 8 missions remained in Kerbin orbit or below, 4 missions went to the Mun, 3 missions to Minmus, and 3 to other planets. 16 missions accomplished their stated objectives, 1 mission failed to meet its objectives, and 1 mission is as of this writing still ongoing.

The Kerbonaut corps expanded from 3 test pilots at the start to a total of 7 by year's end. While two of these Kerbonauts suffered injuries from their missions, there were no fatalities. Summarizing the Kerbonauts' achievements:

[table=width: 100%, class: outer_border, align: center]

[tr]

[td]Kerbonaut[/td]

[td]Jebidiah[/td]

[td]Bill[/td]

[td]Bob[/td]

[td]Aldemy[/td]

[td]Kenwise[/td]

[td]Obwig[/td]

[td]Milwig[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Specialty[/td]

[td]Test Pilot[/td]

[td]Test Pilot[/td]

[td]Test Pilot[/td]

[td]Engineer[/td]

[td]Pilot[/td]

[td]Geologist[/td]

[td]Pilot[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Missions[/td]

[td]4[/td]

[td]2[/td]

[td]3[/td]

[td]1[/td]

[td]1[/td]

[td]1[/td]

[td]1[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Status[/td]

[td]Experienced[/td]

[td]Green[/td]

[td]Experienced[/td]

[td]Green[/td]

[td]Green[/td]

[td]Green[/td]

[td]Green[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

The various missions have contributed greatly to Kerbal knowledge of Kerbin and its Muns, and these in turn have helped to develop new technologies to extend Kerbal reach in the solar system. As of this writing, the following technologies were developed (in order of development):

Basic Rocketry

Stability

General Rocketry

Survivability

Flight Control

Science Tech

General Construction

Electrics

Advanced Rocketry

Advanced Flight Control

Precision Engineering

Fuel Systems

Heavy Rocketry

Advanced Construction

Space Exploration

Landing

Advanced Electrics

The PKSA also developed three standard launch vehicles: the Trigon-II (LKO only), the Moho-VI (Kerbin orbit, Mun free return and Minmus free return), and the Moho-VII (Mun and Minmus orbit and return, as well as interplanetary voyages).

Looking Ahead: Plans for Year 2

In addition to continuing the Venturer program of probe flybies and orbital missions to the planets, the PKSA has four more programs to set to begin in Year 2:

Surveyor - Uncrewed probes to land on the Mun and Minmus, as a precursor to crewed missions. 8 missions are currently planned.

Anaid - named after a mythical Kerbal adventurer associated with the Mun, these will be crewed missions to orbit and ultimately land on the Mun and Minmus. 15 missions are planned for this program's lifetime. It is hoped that the first Mun landing will occur before the end of Year 2.

Everena - Probes to soft-land on Eve's surface and return data. 4 missions are planned, though only 1 will likely occur in Year 2.

KerbalComm - a series of communication satellites to be placed in high Kerbin orbit, to facilitate better communications between the KSC and future space missions. 6 satellites are currently being planned.

Especially with the needs of the Anaid program, a new family of launch vehicles is also be developed: the Eve series launchers, which will employ the "Skipper" engine currently being designed.

The coming year promises to hold new discoveries, new challenges, and new adventures. The Pan-Kerbin Space Agency is committed to meeting the challenges ahead and sending Kerbals outward in their relentless drive to explore.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone! I hope you all had a good time over the Holidays. I had a nice time visiting first with my parents, then with my brother and his family (and scored two Christmas dinners as a result. Yum!) New Years was marred by a communications mishap, so I wasn't able to spend it with friends as I'd hoped, but it still gave me some time for reflection on the past year, and to make plans for this year.

But, now the holidays are over, which means it's time for this Mission Log to return to Active status. I wanted to let you know a few things before the first report of Year 2 goes up tomorrow:

First, I have to report an error: I thought I'd be opening Year 2 with my Surveyor landings, but my mission logs show that Venturer 3 got to Duna before Surveyor 1 even left the pad, so tomorrow's report will be about Venturer 3 and it's adventures around Duna. The combined reports of Surveyors 1 through 4 will go up next Wednesday, Jan 8.

Second, I'll be modifying the update schedule to only two times a week for the foreseeable future: updates will now be on Wednesdays and Fridays. I'm starting some other projects outside of KSP and it already looks like they'll take up a good portion of my time. This slower pace should let me juggle this mission log and my other projects without difficulty.

Thanks for your patience, and I'll see you all here tomorrow!

Sorry for the delay; ran into some last-minute problems yesterday which kept me busy.

Venturer 3: From Planet to Mun and Back again.

Date: Year 2, Day 15

Mission: Venturer 3

Goal: Duna orbiter.

Additional Goal: Ike Flyby.

After 85 days of coasting in interplanetary space, Venturer 3 entered Duna’s gravitational sphere of influence. Controllers ordered a test burn on Venturer 3’s booster stage, and once confirming the booster had survived the long voyage still functional, programmed in the orbital capture burn once the probe reached it’s closest approach to Duna. On the 91st day of the mission, Venturer 3 entered into a highly elliptical, highly inclined orbit and cast loose its booster. The probe’s onboard engine was now used to bring the craft into a low orbit around Duna, with a periapsis of 60 km, and an apoapsis of 77 km.

52ZOdF0.png

Venturer 3 in low orbit around Duna

Here the Goo canister was opened, and the first scientific observations from Duna were transmitted back to KSC. The most significant observation was that the Goo had acquired a red sheen, similar to the planet it orbited. “This was a most unusual reaction,†Dr. Genecas stated. “We’ve observed the Goo react to different gravity fields and different humidity levels, but this was the first time we’ve actually seen it change color before.â€Â

Mission controllers saw a goal of opportunity not long after the probe had achieved Duna orbit. Duna has a small mun, Ike, and, using the fuel still aboard the probe, it was possible for Venturer 3 to perform a flyby. There would not be enough fuel to return the craft to low Duna orbit, but scientists were hopeful that the probe’s new orbit would allow for long-term study of both Duna and Ike. In its new orbit (Ap: 2,580 km, Pe: 583 km), it performed its first flyby of Ike not 8 hours after achieving orbit around Duna. Goo observations were made, which matched the results achieved for most high orbit and deep space observations of the Goo to date.

y7YOIgK.png

Venturer 3 approaches Ike

Dr. Genecas mused on the findings. “It’s clear that the Mystery Goo has an affinity for deep space conditions. We’re not sure why this is, though the Goo is certainly much happier in space than it is near any gravity field so far.†When asked how the Goo’s happiness was quantified, Dr. Genecas could only shrug. “We’re still unsure. We don’t even have a standard unit for happiness yet. Let me get back to you on that.â€Â

Unfortunately for the mission, on Day 16 of Year 2, a serious power outage at KSC damaged the computers responsible for tracking Venturer 3. Repairs of those systems took two weeks to complete. By the time Venturer 3’s signal was re-acquired, the probe was no longer in Duna orbit, but on an orbit that took it well beyond Jool. With its fuel reserves so low, and the probe’s comm array not powerful enough to reliably receive new commands from KSC at that distance, the mission could not be salvaged. Long term study of Duna would have to wait for a future mission.

“We suspect that, during the communications blackout, the probe had another close encounter with Ike,†Dalsen said at the press conference on Day 30. “Ike’s gravity acted as a kind of slingshot, altering Venturer 3’s trajectory that it was sent out of Duna’s gravitational sphere of influence altogether. A one-in-a-million chance, which because we could not transmit instructions to the probe, resulted in the mission’s termination.â€Â

Gene Kerman concurred and stated that additional measures were being taken at KSC to prevent future loss of contact. “In addition to improving our power systems here, we’ll be constructing a second tracking station elsewhere on Kerbin. It’s clear that just one station is no longer enough. Ultimately, we’ll need multiple stations, and communication satellites in high Kerbin orbit.â€Â

Total Mission Time: 91 days, 12 hours.

Mission Outcome: SUCCESS.

Surveyors 1 through 4: Touching the Mun

jayKVFK.png

Surveyor 1 lifts off from KSC

Now that the PKSA had demonstrated the ability to send a spacecraft to the Mun and bring it back, it was time for the next step: actually landing on the Mun. Much about both the Mun and Minmus was still unknown, especially the local terrain, so it was decided to sent a series of robot landers as advance scouts. To that end, the Surveyor program was born.

EYDZR88.png

One of the Surveyor landers, being fitted to a Moho-VIc launch vehicle.

Building on the work of Aldemy Kerman, who had been experimenting with parts he called “landing legsâ€Â, the Surveyors would carry a camera and a temperature sensor to the surface of the Mun. This would allow scientists to get a good look at the Mun from ground level; it would also give mission planners an idea of the conditions a crewed mission to the Mun would face.

Eight mission were planned for the Surveyor program; the first four for the Mun, with two others for Minmus, and the final two to “targets of opportunity†on either mun.

Date: Year 2, Day 16

Mission: Surveyor 1

Goal: Probe soft-landing on the Mun

This first mission had no particular surface target beyond being on the Mun’s near side, to allow for near-continuous communication between Surveyor 1 and Kerbin. The lander used its booster stage to alter its orbit so the periapsis was approximately 6 km above the surface at East Crater. When Surveyor 1 approached this new periapsis, the booster stage fired for a final time to kill most of the spacecraft’s orbital velocity, after which the lander separated from the booster. Tracking showed Surveyor 1 touch down in East Crater, at 2* 56’ 32†S by 84* 11’ 47†W. Once the probe settled down and all instruments were shown to have survived the landing intact, controllers at KSC finally allowed themselves to breathe again.

Pruxwe3.png

Surveyor 1 measures the temperature in East Crater.

Total Mission Time: 7 hours, 18 minutes.

Date: Year 2, Day 42

Mission: Surveyor 2

Goal: Probe soft-landing in the Northwest Crater.

Surveyor 2’s mission went much like Surveyor 1, except for two issues. On its arrival into Munar orbit, it soon became apparent that the selected landing site at Northwest Crater would be in shadow, running a real risk of the spacecraft losing power before landing. So Surveyor 2 spent close to ten hours in orbit around the Mun, waiting for the landing site to be in sunlight.

8OVI0mZ.png

An unexpected discovery.

The second issue, while not a danger to the mission, has prompted a fair bit of excitement in the scientific community. At T+16:55:00, less than a minute before the probe was to commence its deorbit burn, cameras spotted a geological anomaly near the edge of the Northwest Crater. Camera images were not overly detailed, as the object was near the limits of resolution, but controllers called it a stone arch. Such structures are not uncommon in certain desert areas on Kerbin, where wind and water can carve them out of hills and cliffsides, but wind and water are not present on the Mun. Scientists have tentatively labelled this object Munar Geological Anomaly 1, and have recommended it as a priority target for future crewed missions.

Surveyor 2 touched down at 9* 54’ 45†N by 34* 1’ 47†E.

Total Mission Time: 17 hours, 4 minutes.

Date: Year 2, Day 56

Mission: Surveyor 3

Goal: Probe soft-landing in the Munar Midlands.

Surveyor 3 aimed for the Midlands, targeting one of the smaller craters on its final approach. It landed at the crater located at 6* 57’ 21†S by 48* 29’ 16†E, which has been named Obwig Crater in honor of KSC’s chief Munar geologist.

eIJKeHX.png

Surveyor 3 safely down in Obwig Crater.

Total Mission Time: 10 hours, 53 minutes.

Date: Year 2, Day 92

Mission: Surveyor 4

Goal: Probe soft-landing in the Southwest Crater.

The final probe for the first phase of the Surveyor missions aimed for the Southwest Crater. In an experiment in precision approach, one of the small (< 1 km diameter) craters became the targeted landing site. Surveyor 4 touched down at this crater, currently unnamed, located at 36* 26’ 48†S by 6* 36’ 31†E with no incidents.

UQKi8Zh.png

Surveyor 4, with the crater wall in the background

Total Mission Time: 8 hours, 42 minutes.

Anaid 1: A Spaceship Built For Two

Date: Year 2, Day 72

Mission: Anaid 1

Crew:

Commander:
Kenwise Kerman

Pilot:
Milwig Kerman

Goal: Orbital test of Anaid spacecraft prototype and Eve-1b launch vehicle.

With the growing demand to explore the Mun and Minmus more fully, researchers began to focus on larger spacecraft, lander systems, and the more robust launch vehicles needed to get them into space. With the development of the “Skipper†engine, and the first Mk 1-2 Command Pod prototypes, the PKSA believed it now had the technology needed to start the Anaid program.

Named after a mythical Kerbal adventurer long associated with the Mun, Anaid’s goal was simple - place Kerbals on the Mun and Minmus and bring them safely back. Anaid 1 would be the first, albeit modest, step in this process, placing a capsule with 2 Kerbals inside into orbit and bringing it safely back.

cwwS6fd.png

Anaid 1, just prior to its morning launch.

Kerbal program alumni Kenwise and Milwig were selected to go up on Anaid 1, and after a month of training in one of the prototype capsules, prepared to travel to space aboard the largest rocket yet built by Kerbals. The ascent went without much incident, except for the unfortunate fact that the Eve-1b launch vehicle did not have sufficient delta-v to put the Anaid 1 spacecraft into orbit by itself, bringing the ship into space but not yet to orbit. Milwig was able to salvage the mission by using some of Anaid 1’s fuel to attain and circularize the spacecraft’s orbit. Back at KSC, Werhner von Kerman greeted the news of his launch vehicle’s almost-success with stoicism, requiring only one glass of North Region Rum before he calmed down.

govkyu0.png

Anaid 1 in orbit, solar panels unfurled and functioning.

Anaid 1 was designed with most of the systems needed for a Munar mission, lacking only a docking port, as that technology was still being developed (it was now child’s play for Kerbal engineers to split a spacecraft apart - joining two spacecraft together was... something else entirely). Kenwise and Milwig put these new systems through their paces, testing the RCS jets, the high-gain antenna, the expanded fuel capacity, and so on. Over the course of the mission, Milwig altered Anaid 1’s orbit to an inclination of 20 degrees; even after the circularization and inclination burns, Anaid 1 still had a fair bit of fuel left in its tanks.

In addition, Kenwise exited Anaid 1 for a spacewalk, using his jetpack to inspect the exterior of the spacecraft. He stayed outside for a total of 4 minutes, breaking his previous record for longest spacewalk.

jgzsiry.png

Kenwise inspects the spacecraft.

Finally, it was time to return to Kerbin. Milwig attempted to plot a vector that would put the capsule down in the Badlands. Unfortunately for his ambitions and pride, Milwig’s vector fell short, and despite a few correction burns to compensate, it missed the Badlands by a wide margin, settling down in the highlands further west. Nevertheless, the command pod landed safely, and Kenwise and Milwig enjoyed a local sunset while waiting for the recovery teams to arrive.

XFM26k6.png

Anaid 1’s command pod on its final approach.

Total Mission Time: 1 hour, 24 minutes.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.