Best Action/Hilarious Scenes You've Produced

Pengwertle

Everyone likes to talk about all the times their missions went well and were successful. I've only been dabbling in KSP for the past few days after getting it months ago. I'm not skilled enough to successfully pull off an orbit, even after four revisions of my ship's design, but I have had magnificent failures.

My first try, I forgot to separate the stages, so my parachute activated at launch. You can guess where that led to. But, since I had Jebediah on board, who everyone thinks is awesome, I decided to bail out. Among all the explosions and freed solid boosters, Jeb leapt out of the spacecraft and fell to the ground, bouncing and narrowly avoiding the destruction. He was unharmed.

On my third try, I forgot to add radial decouplers to my tall boosters, so they were dragging me down. I decided to try an EVA report while my course was set to peak at about 30 km and then fall again. Jeb fell off of the capsule. He caught onto one of the still-burning tall booster, dragging it off course. The G-forces pinned him there for a few seconds, but when the ship started spiraling, he was flung off. He recovered, and used his jet pack to fly back to the ship, and, luckily, he managed to hold onto the spiraling capsule long enough to get back in. He detached the boosters, sending them off into space, and burned retrograde to slow his descent, and survived, landing in the middle of the ocean.

I am now a believer in Jeb.

Share your experiences!

A few minutes ago I was launching a rescue mission to save someone in orbit. I was in rush, but Jeb decided to sneak on board. Now, I could have restarted the mission and removed Jeb, but no. I clicked "EVA," yelled "Jeb, GET OUT!" and fired the engines mid-fall. Let's just say he got a sun-burn that day, and a few broken bones...

My first two man lander was designed with a science module that would decouple when the lander docked with the command module for return. Problem was the lander was just under the delta v requirement to make munar orbit.

Jeb's and Bill's plan? Decouple the science module and hope that the decrease in weight would give them the delta v needed. This failed because the decoupler failed to remove the module from the top of the lander.

Jeb's solution? An Eva pack assisted shoulder charge to the now decoupled science module . After getting the height, Jeb slams into the science module , sending it toppling off of the lander can.

After that, the lander barely made a very lopsided orbit, and Bob came to pick them up.

This probably falls under this category:

I wasn't sure if it'd work, but I was determined to try.

THAT

WAS

AWESOME

On topic: Forgetting to seperate rocket and shute in stage always draws a laugh.

And there was 1 time when I had a ship on an orbit far out of Kerbin after escaping the Mun, and than realized it was out of energy. This was how I found out you now need energy in a manned craft to steer.

So I build a new rocket, send it up, randevoused it at about 5km apart from eachother, and send Jeb on a spacewalk towards the tiny dot that was his rescue. When I arived, I found out I had forgotton to empty the spare command pod :blush:

Well, Jeb got stranded in orbit around the Mun, so I sent Bill to go get him, now I have 2 kerbs stuck in space

(both ships were made extremely early in my career, and have no docking ports or anything, and are both in extremely weird orbits, I have no idea how I'm gonna rescue them)

but, that's enough background for what happened.

Jeb was going to land on the Mun, Jeb soon realized he only had 5 units of fuel and his separatrons left.

being the genius Jeb is, he was able to make munar orbit again.

it's not as extreme as throwing him out of a ship mid-launch, but it was pretty intense when it happened

My horribly failed attempt at Mun base resulted in a pretty awesome crash landing. I'll just quote myself from an older thread rather than retell the whole thing.

I guess along the lines of OPs creepy abandoned ships I had...something back in 0.20 that you could consider an abandoned/destroyed ship/base.

It was an ambitious project. A large Mun base that would land itself prefabricated on the moon and then drive around to reposition itself. With the help of Kethane it may have even been able to perform a rolling take off spaceplane style an return to Kerbin. Disaster (read: girlfriend aggro) struck as it ended up descending a bit too early on it's approach to the large flat area I selected. It clipped the top of a mountain range and lost two of its 3 habitation modules, killing all 12 kerbalnauts aboard. After bouncing off the ground and back up into the sky (Would it still be "sky" on the moon?) it lost a wing and yet another hab module that bounced a few times before finally exploding, killing another 6 brave crewmen. The 3 remaining pilots managed to set it down...roughly. It sat there on the mun broken into 4 pieces with a trail of debris stretching back nearly 2k to the top of the mountain.

A rescue mission was launched, which ended up failing thanks to a physics bug that cause it to glitch through the ground and then rocket back into space. This brings the death toll up to 19. The second rescue vessel managed to retrieve the 3 survivors of the initial mission, but sadly its parachutes were ripped away in Kerbin's atmosphere killing them in addition to the three rescue craft operators; in the end the original mission had no survivors. The death toll now stood at 25.

I ended up launching another Mun mission that was a much more mundane and and quite a bit less...deadly. The new base launched a two man rover team, which thanks to the kerbal attachment system now carried a mini autonomous rover with it. They were dispatched to look at the derelict and plant a flag at it's resting place. I stupidly used the mini rover to explore the the debris in more detail and eventually ended up driving into its open cargo bay (after trying to ramp myself over the robotic arm for 10 minutes) which somehow caused both the mini rover AND the cargo bay to explode. Which sent a flat structural panel flying and almost ended up destroying the manned rover.

Never went back there again. Part of me almost thinks the place was haunted by 25 Kerbalnauts who never made it home. And of course, Kerbal ghosts would manifest themselves by making things randomly explode or fail horribly. :D

Well, this one takes a little explaining. I was having a trouble getting to the Mun, so I decided to aim my Mun rocket at the nearby mountains for some quick science. I'm not the best pilot, and screwed up the landing. I ejected the smaller tanks that were attached to the pylons around the main fuel tank to try and free the main lander. Right at the same time, it ran out of power. Just as it was about to roll off the hill, a single sas unit from the ejected tanks bounced over and wedged itself PERFECTLY so that the lander stopped rolling.

mR6OoDa.png

Also, this.

eMzRFKA.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.