Rocket explodes in mid flight.....?

I need help becuase my rocket keeps exploding in mid flight (Its not lack of struts...) I'll try and upload the .craft file :)

(in posting permissions it says I cant add attachments????)

A picture might be better for now

Possible reasons for mid air spontaneous disassembly:-

Acceleration exceeds 3g to 4g depending on components, structural failure in a single component due to compression trashes the rocket. Main symptom is "failure of connection between a and b" followed by lower sections crashing into upper sections.

The only reliable and easy way to avoid failure due to acceleration is to keep acceleration below 3g (or so). While the rocket may produce 2g or 3g acceletration at the start of the stage, as fuel burns the accel will climb unless you throttle back the motor.

The complex way is to build a strong framework around your payload and secure the upper payload sections to the framework. May result in connection failures due to the acceleration just extending them too much.

Lateral flex caused by widely spaced steering mechanism causes too much strain leading to failure of connection between parts of rocket. usually results in a rotating disassembly. You can reduce the tendency to harmonic flex by turning off any control wheels far from the center of the rocket or by locking the gimbals of your rockets.

Struts provide compressive strength, to improve rigidity of a rocket you'll need to place them in radial sets of 4 or 6. I use short girders each side of a stage connector as attachment points for my struts and so far my launches have exploded for completely different reasons to those mentioned.

Overheating, fairly easy to see as the engine fuel readouts also provide temperature feedback.

Edited by falofonos

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.