[1.2] VOID 1.1.0-beta - Vessel Orbital Informational Display

toadicus

I'm a user and lover of VOID, but I've noticed one issue in the current (1.0) versions: VOID doesn't seem to respect the setting on whether or not to use Blizzy's toolbar. I'll change it to use the AppLauncher, and then it'll switch itself back. Is this a known issue?

Hmm, it seems to be working OK for me. In general VOID should default to using the Toolbar in all scenes when you install it, but if you've switched it to the AppLauncher at some point you will need to switch it back to the Toolbar in each scene (Editor, Flight, SpaceCentre). Can you confirm that it's switching back for you in a given scene when you go back there after having set it previously in that scene?

I just went into the VAB, clicked the VOID icon in Blizzy's toolbar, clicked configuration, unchecked "use blizzy's toolbar", and the icon went away, but nothing showed up in the AppLauncher down below.

I added a pod, launched, the icon is in blizzy's toolbar. Take the same steps to remove it from the toolbar, and it shows up in the AppLauncher.

Recover the vessel, re-ender the VAB, no icon either place.

Launch the pod again, the icon is back in blizzy's toolbar.

VOID has been updated to version 0.18.2! This version fixes the AppLauncher icon bug and some Exceptional simulation cases.

Thanks, godefroi! The AppLauncher button wasn't working in that circumstance because in fact the functionality to support it was completely broken. Not to worry; now it's all new. :)

CHANGELOG:

v.0.18.2 [2015-05-06]
* Fixed a couple more cases of VesselSimulator-centric exceptions.
* Fixed handling of the AppLauncher button when Toolbar is installed.
* Minor cleanup.

EDIT:

My huge mistake has been corrected. Downloads in all the usual places will work as expected now. :)

Edited by toadicus

Thanks, godefroi! The AppLauncher button wasn't working in that circumstance because in fact the functionality to support it was completely broken. Not to worry; now it's all new. :)

Sure, no problem. Easiest bug report ever!

• 2 weeks later...

VOID has been updated to version 0.18.3! This version has no new features of any kind, but has a bunch of general code improvements on the back end that should improve performance. It also supports the new ToadicusTools I just uploaded to CKAN... no idea if 0.18.2 will or not. :P

CHANGELOG:

v.0.18.3 [2015-05-18]
* Behind-the-scenes fixes to improve performance.

oh, toadicus I've been meaning to ask if you could make some adjustments for the data logger. This is a very personal request so I understand if you don't want to take the trouble to do it, but could you have the lat/lon be output as just numbers, with no degree symbol or cardinal direction? And also have the lon value negative for the western hemisphere? Maybe as an option? The reason is that I finally got around to implementing KSP Maps leaflet into my flight tracker and I can create plots for my launch ascents (example). So I can just import VOID logger CSV files directly into MSAccess for use in my flight tracker. (I tried changing the cell formatting in Excel to see if that would wipe out everything but the numbers but that didn't work).

Really it's not a huge amount of work to go and delete what I don't want from each cell, but hey never hurts to ask...

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to toadicus again.

Dammit! But yes, that makes life so much easier, many thanks! Tracking long rover drives, I was not looking forward to having to modify all those cells :P So did you just decide to make that the way it's recorded moving forward? I know the original method was more readable for those who don't know how KSP Lat/Lon is setup

Dammit! But yes, that makes life so much easier, many thanks! Tracking long rover drives, I was not looking forward to having to modify all those cells :P So did you just decide to make that the way it's recorded moving forward? I know the original method was more readable for those who don't know how KSP Lat/Lon is setup

Yes, that's just how the logger works now. Because, really, the logger isn't for people who want a bunch of pretty numbers: the HUD does that, and it's still got °E, etc. The logger is for people who want a bunch of raw data for a specific purpose -- like you -- and raw numbers are way better for that than prettily-formatted numbers.

If people really want pretty numbers in their spreadsheet they can use a formula for it. ;)

How to make the windows able to overlay the parts panel in the sph/vab ?

It's been a long time since I wrote that, but as I recall, at this point I'm specifically preventing you from doing so. I'll add an option to allow it.

I've re-uploaded VOID here and at KerbalStuff, compiled and packaged with the very latest version of ToadicusTools. Any weirdness stemming from incompatible versions of ToadicusTools should be gone.

toadicus Thank you for VOID, It's one of my favorite mod. :)

I just really miss a few things to make it perfect :

- All : Power loss should close (or empty) all of VOID's windows

- Surface : Landing's "Suicide burn" deltaV, time and altitude estimation.

- Surface : Collision time to the surface estimation at current orbit.

- Rendez-vous : Intersects distances during transferts

Maybe I missed these informations, otherwise well, this is my feeback ^.^ Thanks again for your appreciated work !

Thanks for the feedback, OzoneGrif! Those are cool bits of functionality that I would like to add. I'll need to sit down with some maths to figure out the best way to get at the suicide burn and collision calcs. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for being absent over here folks. I'll look in to the stage info window as soon as I can.

luizopiloto, what kind of interface would you envision? Because there's already a mod called Telemachus that provides a lot of info as a web page: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/24594

Not sure it provides everything VOID does, but I know it does a lot. Gaiiden is probably the expert there. At least, I think Gaiiden uses it. ;)

VOID can also provide a lot of info as a CSV file. If you can read that in real time, you can do a lot of cool things with it. I'm relatively certain that Gaiiden is the expert there. :)

Anyway, doing something external isn't really on my radar right now, but if there was a compelling way to provide external information in a way that wasn't too far out of scope, I could consider it.

Not sure it provides everything VOID does, but I know it does a lot. Gaiiden is probably the expert there. At least, I think Gaiiden uses it. ;)

Heh, Telemachus would be the best bet, but KSPTOT also provides a real-time telemetry interface. My own flight tracker is a bit less open-ended for use by other people. Although, dynamic display of ascent data is next on my list and it'll be written in JavaScript which Telemachus could easily grab to use for their software as well at some point.

Bug Report: I am currently playing with the dev version of AJE, and this is occuring

295zm2c.jpg

I already asked them if it was on their end, but they said that it wasn't. this was their exact response

"Sorry, but this one is on VOID's end. I'm not 100% sure what's going on here, but I'm guessing that VOID is simulating stock engines based on the way stock engines work rather than asking each engine for its actual thrust and Isp."-blowfish

just wanted to give you guys a heads up, so that hopefully when the release of AJE occurs, VOID can be compatible

jab136, VOID uses VesselSimulator from KerbalEngineer to do all the engine calcs. They're aware of some issues with their jet simulations; a future update should help with stock jets at least; I've offered to help them test with AJE as well.

gendalf, I've found and fixed the disappearing stage info window issue.

New update with that fix will happen when 1.0.3 releases. :)

• 3 weeks later...

toadicus, any possibility you could add function to allow us to display certain windows in only certain views of the game? I'd like to have the Career Status window displayed in the KSC view only.