What i love about career mode

Rainbow-Dashie

I just love figuring out I can do so much with so little. I mean in Sandbox, every single ship I sent up had at least one of the huge Orange Fuel Tanks, most had 3 to 5 of em, and that was for everything from putting something in LKO, to a Mun landing, to Interplanetary travel.

But in career mode, I was amazed at how I could get into orbit with nothing but the starter solid boosters, and the 200 power engine. I'm amazed I was able to get to the Mun's orbit with nothing but the boosters and the same engine. In Sandbox that would have taken me some massive 6 stage ship loaded with fuel.

Maybe I'm just a noob who over did my rockets, but I find this fun seeing what I can do with these limited parts.

For me it was kind of a reeducation in how to play the game.

To use an art analogy: You can paint any kind of picture you want as long as you've got big tubes of red, yellow and blue. If you've already got a starter set of 16 colors, why learn how to mix brown yourself?

I always slapped an orange Rokomax tank with a mainsail on every rocket I ever built. How else was I going to get to the moon? Career mode showed me the only things I need to get to the moon (and back!) are the smaller engines and a pair of landing legs.

Agreed. I also like the way it makes a refreshing change from my normal play style which revolves around probes and over engineered, three man capsules, usually with rendezvous and docking as part of the flight plan. Being forced to rely on 1 kerbal 'there and back with a single rocket' style missions makes for a fun change of pace. Feels much riskier and pioneering.

My early career rockets have engineering limits that I didn't have to take into consideration previously. It's given me a new appreciation for parts I was taking for granted. Using only first 3 or so unlocks: No struts, no fuel lines, no SAS (except for pod torque), no lights, no ladders, I'm even missing the tiny cube strut!

I'm lovin career mode. I love using the limited number of parts to do what I use make huge rockets for. It makes you rethink how much you can really do with just simple and light weight rockets. I don't see why people are complaining about it. I relish everything I do just that much more. Knowing I did it without huge engines and limitless power supplies.

Career mode got me to fly planes.

Sure, I flew a few stock ones, and on meshed something together on a blue monday, but NOW, I want to do science on Kerbin! I now actually have a reason to go somewhere on Kerbin, and I want to get there alive.

I had never before landed a plane without some unplanned disassembly! (and if I did, it was based on pure luck).

And just now, I landed a self-designed high altitude plane (20km alt. cruise with 1500 m/s, I get continuous shock effects :P) in the middle of some mountains and badlands (yes, badlands, still hadn't researched those). without a hitch! I haven't even sent anything outside Kerbins SOI that much am I intrigued by these 'plane' things... Thanks to Carreer mode.

Edit: since carreer mode can get me to do stuff, I need a mod that increases research costs a factor 5 or 10, otherwise I'll probably never land something on some Joolian moon. I prefer mun-bases and space stations... But with a science requirement incentive... I am motivated to try new stuff!

Edited by OrtwinS

Career mode is good for that, it teaches you how to play in a minimalist fashion by limiting what you have. I'm sure many people are surprised at what they're actually capable of using small rockets.

I have found this to be completely true. The smaller you build your rocket, the easier it is to do things. Yeah, mainsails are great, but you need an enormous amount of fuel to run them, adding multitudes of weight. Stepping back to the basics and removed the paralyses of choice made the game new again (at least to me).

Truth! Career mode also helped to ween me off of orange barrels of fun. It prompted me to take my time more and use parts I hadn't spent time on as well. I learned nuclear engines a little and actually got a space-plane to another planet!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.