[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

Linux, you say... I might bust out my VM again!

Yesh sir. Finding out that KSP ran x64 on linux and lifted my 4GB barrier is why I'm completely on linux now. I hit about 8MB for KSP (yeah, it takes 4m to load), however, I do get some random CTDs. (Advice anyone?)

I only use Windows as a gaming platform (and some odd-man-out progs).

So after deciding that I am stubborn enough to not compromise to use lower quality textures, I did what any sane person would do and spent the day yesterday sectioning off a partition of my SSD for Arch Linux so I could run 64 bit KSP and get those giant textures I wanted ever so badly. Well now it works and I can run RSS with full textures, so IN YOUR FACE WINDOWS!

That said, now that I'm officially a member of the RSS club, I've got some questions about the mod moving forward. I know PlanetFactory's been offline for a while now, but is there any interest in expanding RSS to have the full suite of planets/moons? Also, what about rings? I'm sure all of this has been asked before but since I'm new around these parts of the forum I figured there's no harm in getting the information out again. :)

So after deciding that I am stubborn enough to not compromise to use lower quality textures, I did what any sane person would do and spent the day yesterday sectioning off a partition of my SSD for Arch Linux so I could run 64 bit KSP and get those giant textures I wanted ever so badly. Well now it works and I can run RSS with full textures, so IN YOUR FACE WINDOWS!

That said, now that I'm officially a member of the RSS club, I've got some questions about the mod moving forward. I know PlanetFactory's been offline for a while now, but is there any interest in expanding RSS to have the full suite of planets/moons? Also, what about rings? I'm sure all of this has been asked before but since I'm new around these parts of the forum I figured there's no harm in getting the information out again. :)

They're developing a better alternative to PlanetFactory here. I can imagine that'll be used to expand the system to have a full suite of planets and major moons.

Yep. I'm even a contributor on that project (although I've done little other than chat and answer questions so far because ~time~) and it will be the plugin-successor to RSS; RSS will become only a config and what little bits of its own plugin Kopernicus doesn't implement.

Ralathon: Sorry, I got nuthin; I'll try landing over Arabia when I get a chance. Can anyone else confirm/deny?

Hai. I've got another stupid question: I'm looking for a good source of information regarding EVE compatibility. I saw over in the RSS Visual Enhancements (RVE) thread, the OP says it's compatible with version 0.23.5. However, recent comments in that thread suggest it at least mostly works for 0.24. Even so, before I install anything I'd like to verify this with the community and people who know better. When it comes to knowing which mods depend on what I'm not generally that confident.

I suggest you use EVE Overhaul (download the release from root of the Overhaul branch of EVE on github). 7.x has serious issues. You can also check out pingopete's RVE thread in Dev, although that hasn't been updated recently, waiting on rbray doing more work on Overhaul.

Nope, it's rbray's ground-up rewrite of EVE. I.e. an overhaul of it.

It just happens to work a lot better with RSS than 7.x did.

But it has issue of cloud displaying when in map view... :sigh:

I changed back to use 7-3 and haven't found much serious problem till now.

Question:

I am attempting to make use of RSS along with planetfactory to make a custom solar system (specifically one wherein Kerbin orbits a gas giant).

For some reason, if I exit the game with any vessel in orbit of anything, when I reload, that vessel is placed into a ludicrous-speed orbit, usually marked as escaping the sun.

I am also experiencing that when a vessel is launched, sometimes the view is dark, with a NAN speed, and no control ability.

I half-remember seeing somewhere that this can be caused by kerbin not having the correct reference id or something, but I have been as of now unable to locate a relevant post.

If anyone could point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

I'm trying to edit Earth's atmosphere from 130 km in the mod, to Kerbin's 69.3 km, and, uh, how exactly would I do that? Because, in the settings thingy, on every planet with an atmosphere, there are lines upon lines just pertaining to the atmospheric drag and stuff at certain altitudes, and I would like to change the atmosphere without spending 20 hours messing with that. ;.;

Edited by Ianwubby77

Someone has probably asked this and I apologize in advance for looking extremely lacking in the cranial areas, but what will happen if I try to use metaphor's outdated configs? Is there a version or something like this for the current version, or is it a Planetfactory issue? I've not played with RSS for a while and I'd like to play with that system again.

Someone has probably asked this and I apologize in advance for looking extremely lacking in the cranial areas, but what will happen if I try to use metaphor's outdated configs? Is there a version or something like this for the current version, or is it a Planetfactory issue? I've not played with RSS for a while and I'd like to play with that system again.

The planets in the current version of RSS look much better than they did in the Planet Factory config. So any new PF config would look really out of place unless the textures and height maps were similarly redone, and I'm not sure how to do that, or where to find height maps for the smaller bodies of the solar system. I'm also kinda waiting for the Kopernicus mod to come out, as that would make it much easier to edit planets and add as many new ones as you want, without having to mess with the already existing parameters of the outdated Planet Factory planets (I'm not sure PF even works well with KSP 0.24.2).

The planets in the current version of RSS look much better than they did in the Planet Factory config. So any new PF config would look really out of place unless the textures and height maps were similarly redone, and I'm not sure how to do that, or where to find height maps for the smaller bodies of the solar system. I'm also kinda waiting for the Kopernicus mod to come out, as that would make it much easier to edit planets and add as many new ones as you want, without having to mess with the already existing parameters of the outdated Planet Factory planets (I'm not sure PF even works well with KSP 0.24.2).

Oh, okay. Frankly I was wishing for more moons, etc. It'll probably make my game faster as it is. Thanks anyway.

Howdy folks! I apologize for asking here what I would assume is a somewhat common question.

I'm recovering from a full hard drive wipe and Windows reinstall from scratch. In KSP, this means new savefile, using 0.24.2 for the first time, and cherrypicking the mods that I'll be running with for the next while. (I'm likely going the x64 route, but I'm wondering if it might be a good idea to learn for the first time how to run Linux, as I know that is the only x64 version of KSP that runs stable.) I like the idea of RSS or RSK installs, but aircraft landing gear sinking into the runway and ground textures swallowing my EVA-kerbonauts really bothers me from a visual standpoint. I understand in broad terms that this is actually something that happens in miniscule fashion on a stock install, and realsize-ing the planets simply magnifies it to the point where it's more noticeable. I'm wondering if there's a setting I can modify to reduce or minimize it though, as it would really interfere with my plans to construct bases on Mun and other bodies. Perhaps incorporating references to this issue in this mod's FAQ?

Also, I know that the ground often flickers with EVE, but this flicker is somehow more noticeable on RSS / RSK installs. Is this related to my above concern?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by MisterFister