[0.23.5] Ares I, Ares V, and EFT-1

ethan829

Sorry for the long silence, everybody. I've home from school for winter break now and work on the Ares V has resumed. I was recently reminded of thrust plates, and I think it's going to solve a lot of stability and fuel flow issues I was having before. Expect some updates soon!

wUv6tgD.png

Yeah, they are a bit wide. Fixing that is easy enough, though. Although to be fair, they perform the same as those in the Ares I, and are more accurately to scale with the Ares V core stage. The Ares I "SRB" had to be so narrow to look right with the orange tank 2nd stage.

Yeah, they are a bit wide. Fixing that is easy enough, though. Although to be fair, they perform the same as those in the Ares I, and are more accurately to scale with the Ares V core stage. The Ares I "SRB" had to be so narrow to look right with the orange tank 2nd stage.

Just one thing, will it be possible to make the Ares V core stage scaled down to the same as the Ares I SRB and not the other way around by making the SRB thicker? Is just that the whole Ares V core stage looks to thick in compareson to the Ares I's scale.

Just one thing, will it be possible to make the Ares V core stage scaled down to the same as the Ares I SRB and not the other way around by making the SRB thicker? Is just that the whole Ares V core stage looks to thick in compareson to the Ares I's scale.

I see your point, and I'll definitely look into it. The problem is that when you start squeezing a lot of fuel tanks that close together you lost the ability to have a girder running through the middle that everything can be supported by. I'm sure it's possible, it's just gonna require a lot more clipping and some creative finagling.

I see your point, and I'll definitely look into it. The problem is that when you start squeezing a lot of fuel tanks that close together you lost the ability to have a girder running through the middle that everything can be supported by. I'm sure it's possible, it's just gonna require a lot more clipping and some creative finagling.

Oh ok. I understand. Hope your able to find a way to do it smaller while still allowing the girder to pass through it. Other than that, it's perfect and it just looks plain awesome.

The new, slimmer version is coming along nicely. Thanks for pointing out the size issues, looking back it did look way too thick.

Right now the first stage has a TWR of 1.15 and 5966 m/s vacuum dV on the pad, but that's without an upper stage, payload, or SRBs.

atL28gR.png

The new, slimmer version is coming along nicely. Thanks for pointing out the size issues, looking back it did look way too thick.

Right now the first stage has a TWR of 1.15 and 5966 m/s vacuum dV on the pad, but that's without an upper stage, payload, or SRBs.

atL28gR.png

Looks perfect. Now you just need to make the second stage and your done.

I'm pretty sure that the Ares V has 6 RS-68B.

Yes that is true but it was the most recent proposal and the least detailed. The one before had five engines and is way more specific in its details. Also the six engine proposal was made to carry more mass however the five engine would be more efficient.

Also the five engine proposal is the most known.

It's like SLS right now. They already have a definite block I version but the block IA would use a more advanced booster. However there still debating whether to use a more advanced and efficient solid rocket booster or a liquid fueled booster. The liquid fueled would most likely be powered by two F-1 engines per booster.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.