What has 0.22 done for YOU?

Wayfare

It's made landing legs useless for large landers.

That's about it.

How so?

I was able to do my first interplanetary missions now with .22. I tried back when I first started playing but I had no luck doing it. Now after spending a ton more time messing around in Kerbin's SOI I have learned more and I was able to land put two probes into Duna's system.

I am waiting for the launch window to open up so I can send my first manned interplanetary mission out.

And Sub-assemblies yeah I have so many subs saved in the sub-assembly mod using them now is even easier.

How so?

I'm not the person you were asking, but from what I can tell they're... "soft" now. The legs seem to be a lot less rigid than they used to be, which is really screwing up some of my landings. It doesn't help that the new ASAS is a lot less effective at holding things perfectly vertical; in the old days if you were a bit off on your landing the ASAS would keep you close enough to vertical to let your legs straighten you out, but now tall landers will just tip over if you have even the slightest tilt or sideways motion.

I'm not the person you were asking, but from what I can tell they're... "soft" now. The legs seem to be a lot less rigid than they used to be, which is really screwing up some of my landings. It doesn't help that the new ASAS is a lot less effective at holding things perfectly vertical; in the old days if you were a bit off on your landing the ASAS would keep you close enough to vertical to let your legs straighten you out, but now tall landers will just tip over if you have even the slightest tilt or sideways motion.

I've not noticed a problem with tilt... and I often make tall landers.

However I have noticed the soft legs bit, and have crushed through them on more than one occasion. I find however that treating them like struts and simply adding more tends to fix things. After all why should that 80 ton lander be able to set down on the mun as a tripod with the skinniest legs available?

me?

It has taught me to learn to read the code in the persistent file and update it to include Kethane parts at different stages.

It has taught me to learn to NOT play with Impossible Innovations, which are more of a cheat than MechJeb

It has taught me that in order to implement more science, they will have to include more content...but i cant quantify it.

It has taught me that i have put in over 700 hours of gameplay...

.22 has gotten me to fly new mission profiles, ones I wouldn't have tried before, like landing on Minmus on my ship's engine bell and doing flybys of Eve and Duna. I never did flybys before, and went straight to landings and returns.

It's also interesting to see what missions I can fly on a very limited part set, so that's a nice little challenge.

How so?

I was able to do my first interplanetary missions now with .22. I tried back when I first started playing but I had no luck doing it. Now after spending a ton more time messing around in Kerbin's SOI I have learned more and I was able to land put two probes into Duna's system.

I am waiting for the launch window to open up so I can send my first manned interplanetary mission out.

And Sub-assemblies yeah I have so many subs saved in the sub-assembly mod using them now is even easier.

Well I'm building an Eve lander. It weighs 150 tons and has 38 landing legs. Enough parachutes to slow it down to 4m/s when testing on kerbin, yet when I land the legs all squish down and the ship ends up sitting on its engines.

Something is wrong with the way they scale up. You can support a 20 ton lander just fine with 3 legs - almost 7 tons per leg...... yet my lander has less than 4 tons on each leg and they're squishing down and breaking the engines.

Well I'm building an Eve lander. It weighs 150 tons and has 38 landing legs. Enough parachutes to slow it down to 4m/s when testing on kerbin, yet when I land the legs all squish down and the ship ends up sitting on its engines.

Hmm, maybe you can use the modular girders as landing legs? If you attach them with structural pylons to your lander you not only get a very high impact tolerance, you can drop them on launch to save weight. Some tests I did on the launch pad looked very promising. (I used a minimal amount of 'chutes and hit the launchpad with almost 15m/s. No structural failures. Well, in one test the quad-coupler with aerospikes fell off but the girders didn't cave...)

What has .22 done for me?

I'm no longer using MechJeb. Setting up rendezvous and docking uses less fuel and I got rather good at it very fast. The only thing I really miss are the landing predictions, especially in atmo. I can land near KSC but I mostly do it by using a very steep landing trajectory. Not ideal at all.

I've also given up on large bases. Instead I send 1-3 Kerbals and return them - something I haven't done often before. I launch rescue missions for every single Kerbal if necessary.

The most important change was however that I want to visit every planet and moon. My tech tree is unlocked and I have 7500 science points left but I'm still going. My goal is to plant a flag on every celestial body with a solid surface, bring a sample back and see how much science I can collect.

Edited by Col_Jessep

Encouraged me to do things I was lazy to do.

E.G. Build interplanetary rockets and actually take time and wait for it to arrive and such.

After being many times to mun and minmus, that is.

Two low orbit satellites rests now in Duna and Eve, each, with enough fuel to get to their moons and do science there.

I've really started loving to use LV-Ns now, before I was just "Meh, they are efficient." and that was about it.

Something is wrong with the way they scale up. You can support a 20 ton lander just fine with 3 legs - almost 7 tons per leg...... yet my lander has less than 4 tons on each leg and they're squishing down and breaking the engines.

Doesn't have anything to do with the higher gravity does it?

Also this guy did a very well thought out test of what the new landing legs can handle. They are a bit weaker than you think.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/53664-New-Landing-Legs/page9?highlight=landing+legs

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.