Is anyone else having is issues with the landing legs LT-1, LT-2 in 0.22

As much as I am enjoying the new version, I have discovered that the legs are compressing, that in turn is lowing my craft and making it harder to get anything under it like a rover,

Also I have discovered that if you land Ok, after a few mins the craft will start to lean to one side, and in doing so, makes it very hard to redock.

Is there a way to stop this, and have the legs return back to the older version, that when you land that it is, and non of this compressing.

Edited by chrischambers

I heard these legs may now break and partially retract if you put them under too much stress. That may cause leaning of your ship. You may try to repair them with a Kerbal on EVA similarly to how broken rover wheels are repaired.

Personally I did not have any landed ship leaning problems yet.

Viewing this even on small vessels with far more legs than necessary, even just on the KSC launch pad. I've even set ships down, then used the legs to lift them up (which worked just fine, so they had plenty of strength), then the legs on one side will slowly compress, listing the structure over to a 30~ish degree angle.

I did a bit of testing and from what I can tell landing legs are working fine. Thing is people are used to landing legs either working 100% and not compressing, or breaking off entirely, thus you could hold a lot of mass on just a few legs. With compression to worry about you'll have to add more legs to get no noticable compression. In lower gravities however it shouldn't be very noticable, but it's something new to get used to and take into consideration during design.

My example just on the launchpad was to take a X200-32 fuel tank (18 tons full) with probecore, batteries and RTGs, and then LT-2 Landing Struts. With 4 struts one leg was entirely compressed and the tank tilted over, but no actual damage. With 6 the tilt was noticable, not too bad with 8. Not until I had 12 struts around the tank was it unaffected.

Bottom line, I don't feel that it's a bug.

It's possible to alter the part files though to potentially remove the functionality alltogether, or strengthen the legs so that they don't compress as easily. I'll personally take them as they are and just learn new designs.

It's possible to alter the part files though to potentially remove the functionality alltogether, or strengthen the legs so that they don't compress as easily. I'll personally take them as they are and just learn new designs.

I am glad that it is not me, I like the new idea but feel that when you are trying to designed something that has something under it like a rover or that you want it at a set high, as you are building a base, then it would be nice to have the option to lock the legs, so that they don't compress.

personal I am going to do is copy / rename the new LT2 Leg in 0.22 to LT2-Compress and copy a older version of the LT2 Leg from 0.21, this way all my old crafts will work, and also if I want the compress then all I have to do is use this leg.

EDIT: - Update - I did this and it works :-) i now have the new and the old legs

Edited by chrischambers

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.