Probe Drop Pod Challenge

Hard

The Challenge is to make a drop pod that you launch from orbit and leave it. The pod would then travel towards the ground at 500+ meters per second and hopefully survive. :wink:

The idea is that you make a probe covered in impact resistant plating so that it could survive a harsh landing, without any rockets or parachutes etc.

Please include screenshots!!

Essentially, however this is a challenge to make the most reliable drop pod that can be executed from orbit and left.

Lithobraking in my experience is in no way easy so making a drop pod that could do this(reliably)would be awesome.

So I encourage you to try!!.

Wrong On planets with atmospheres including Laythe a wing configuration could slow your craft down to acceptable speeds so that your craft could survive. However on planets without atmospheres yes lithobraking is the only way.

And BTW i did not exclude mods however stock would be better. They would both have their respective completion sections on this thread.

Hang on, lithobraking kerbin with 2 parts.

I won't be able to play for a while now, but yes, the RoverMax XL3 have an impact tolerance of 150 m/s, which is higher than terminal velocity at sea level on Kerbin: maybe you could try attaching a single one to a probe core, and land with that?

Large_wheel.jpg

Oh, and you don't need to go suborbital, just build some vertical speed :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.