[PLUGIN+PARTS][0.23] SCANsat terrain mapping

damny

First go with it this evening - damn, only thing was power use but I got both sats into polar orbits with better sun exposure and it was fine. No issues to report - it's brilliant. Got Kerbin scanned for biome, altimeter and slopes very quickly. With landings made on both the Mun and Minmus I was hoping to find some more landing sites, and now I can get a SCANsat up and scope them properly.

Feel sorry for Insewerants - the excellent ISA project has been dead in the water with the 0.22 update and his own personal issues, but tip of the hat, damny, this is a mighty fine replacement.

You know if you incline your sats right along terminus then you get an orbit with direct sunlight for 99.9% of the time...year after year.

I'm really liking the GUI. There are so many things! And it shows your flag marked places!

Apart from one glitch, where the window shut and wouldn't appear again, my first try went well.

Also, it seems you have three parts that do very similar things, all map making. I see how you plan to use it in the techtree, but once everything is all unlocked, the less high tech ones will just be clutter. Unless you make it so they fill a niche- they could be lighter, or less power intensive, or be smaller.

I think you ought to do some sketches and put out a request for a model maker. This mod is getting enough attention, you should be able to get someone who can make some good looking, yet low-poly things

Feel sorry for Insewerants - the excellent ISA project has been dead in the water with the 0.22 update and his own personal issues, but tip of the hat, damny, this is a mighty fine replacement.

Actually, Insewerants has been posting in his blog again, and seems to be getting ready to work on stuff. As this one has a lot more to offer than the last Mapsat edition, it will be interesting to see how things go.

Ok so, I'm interested in this mod, but won't be downloading it yet because of the massive amount of work it still needs. I will keep an eye on it though.

It's really stable actually... Sure there's features to still be added but the functionality is present...

Ok so, I'm interested in this mod, but won't be downloading it yet because of the massive amount of work it still needs. I will keep an eye on it though.

Massive amount of work??

It already works great, and has had 2 major updates since the beta release. The weakest link is the placeholder parts, and those are not bad at all, kinda fitting.

Yeah this works better than half of the "released" mods I have. Lol.

I'd also just like to say that I've never seen a dev as responsive as damny. Suggestions float around the thread... BOOM. A few hours later we have a polished implementation. I would like to tell damny though... don't worry about being so responsive. I definitely don't want to see such a great mod with a talented developer burn out. We can be a little more patient.

Plus he ensured backwards compatibility. Not just by leaving the obsolete part in... he gave it a freaking self-destruct button. Who actually does that?!?! hahaha

Edited by simmy2109

-snip-

Actually, Insewerants has been posting in his blog again, and seems to be getting ready to work on stuff. As this one has a lot more to offer than the last Mapsat edition, it will be interesting to see how things go.

In the short term it will be reputation versus technical superiority.

• ISA has become a concept, in the past even the most hardcore stock-only people knew (or even used) ISA. Because it was such a natural extension upon the game.
    His new [0.22] tag will attract a lot of good ol' times fans.
  • SCANsat got featured on the Daily Kerbal (how many people read that?). But once tried, I don't think any will look back at ISA (for some time).

In the long run, it will be the tech that matters:

• Tech-wise, the current state of Mapsat can't hold a candle to SCANsat features and robustness. (Though the robustness is perceived, by contrast with Mapsat and by lack of people who know C# and actually dive into Github to dissect SCAN).
  • How fast will Innsewerants be able to produce a 'stable' release of Mapsat? Something that is at its core capable of expanding to SCANsat feature levels?
    If he is fast enough he'll probably win over many old fans before they ever knew there was an alternative.
  • Innsewerants taught himself C# so he could make Mapsat.
  • Damny claims in his first post to not have touched C# in 10 years before SCANsat.

Damny seems to be at an advantage. But none of us can truly gauge the level of expertise that Innsewerants taught himself, or how how extensive Damny's experience is.

Interesting times ahead indeed.

Edited by OrtwinS
typos

Snap!

But does it matter in the long run who's on top? Two competing mods is not necessarily a bad thing, and I doubt Damny is out for Innsewerants' ego. Thats his issue and related personal issues are quite frankly none of our nor Damny's concern. I just want a scanner that works and works well, and I'll support whoever does so.

Perhaps reading the OP's initial post instead of spamming the thread? But here, I'll do your reading for you:

It's not properly integrated with career mode yet. Currently, the parts should be hooked into "Science Tech". Obviously, the plan is that the better sensors should come much later. But those sensors didn't even exist two complete refactorings ago.

You know if you incline your sats right along terminus then you get an orbit with direct sunlight for 99.9% of the time...year after year.

Yeah - got lucky in that I overengineered the first sat (which was literally just throw some parts together and put it up there) which had plenty of fuel to adjust the orbit to run the terminus (figured that out on my own ;D). Second one had enough battery to last the night after solar top up so I wasn't worried about adjusting it, plus I wanted to ensure I had enough fuel to deorbit them.

Not reading through the entire thread, but just wanted to suggest that you find a way to make the plugin work with stock dishes.

Don't bother making parts if you can't actively maintain them between updates - it's the death of many a mod.

Perhaps reading the OP's initial post instead of spamming the thread? But here, I'll do your reading for you:
All the parts in this mod currently use the same terrible mesh that I made to find out how to get a mesh into a mod, with a texture I made to find out how painting textures works in blender. I don't know how soon I can make the actual models. At least it looks vaguely like a sensor array. But it's not pretty, and it's not animated.

Stock dishes would not work as scanners, as they are getting custom textures and models eventually.

As a side note; TMS, Pesqueeb and anyone else not bothering to read the initial post: You are spamming up the thread. Read Damny's inital post.

For me it is no discussion.

I tried this ISA Mapstat stuff f****** 10 times to install.

Everytime it crashed my game or made it lag to death.

I did install this baby here, and it worked first time stable, lagless, performance nice, and many nice features.

When it will get cool Meshs for the parts it will beat ISA Mapsat outof it`s old dusty outof Date Boots. (Sorry).

For me person. I will stay now at this Mod (as long it stays alive).

If I could do models or model I would make you free models for your mod to use, but I have not real a clue how this works here. I can make 3D Models but know not how to put them in this game.

By the way, is it not time to put it into the release Forum? I think this mod is more release worthy than many in that category.

Edited by Xentoe

My apologies if this has been asked before, but does this have any known conflicts with other mods? When I started a RADAR Scan, it caused parts of my interface to disappear (namely the Kerbal Alarm Clock window), but also caused the pause screen to disappear. (I press escape and the game pauses, but the pause screen doesn't actually appear). I assume that the SCANsat interface is supposed to appear when I start a RADAR Scan, but that isn't happening either. Any suggestions would be quite welcome. Thanks. :)