[PLUGIN+PARTS][0.23] SCANsat terrain mapping

damny

Would it be possible to project the SCANSat map on the planet/moon itself à la Kethane's resources hexes? So that it looks something like this:

http://i6.minus.com/ibr3bkILyjrhpf.png

This would be the holy grail of displaying data like this.

Yes, it would be possible. It would "just" require an additional project/unproject pair, and the knowledge of how to place a spherical overlay on the map. I assume this could be attained by just examining the Kethane code, but I'm not sure.

I'll take a look this week into how easy I think this is, create an issue about it accordingly.

If you are not yet tired of new features, how about an orbit projection option that shows the orbit where the craft will be taking into account the body's rotation, so you can plan deorbit burns to determine the landing zone in specific locations. :wink:

Enhancing the capabilities and performance of orbits and their projections is planned for v7 (by me). I think that SCANsat currently takes into account the mainBody's rotation, but it doesn't offer you a projection of this -- it only allows you to execute the burn and see the resulting re-entry.

I will make an issue along these lines and see what can be done this week.

Glad you're willing to take a look. I brought it up because there's recently been some discussion about the science system in KSP and how to improve it. My take on it was to link science gathering to increasing practical knowledge that would help players plan future missions. Just having the practical knowledge part integrated into map view would already be a step in the right direction.

Glad you're willing to take a look. I brought it up because there's recently been some discussion about the science system in KSP and how to improve it. My take on it was to link science gathering to increasing practical knowledge that would help players plan future missions. Just having the practical knowledge part integrated into map view would already be a step in the right direction.

One of the reasons I'm so eagerly developing SCANsat myself is simply because I find it morally reprehensible to put Kerbal lives at risk landing without a pretty darn detailed altitude map of the landing site. So any argument along those lines will have my sympathy.

Hey Techno, have you thought about making a new forum thread as a continuation? I had not been following this thread and missed the update to v6? it would also allow you to update the title and what not to make it more visible when it has been updated.

Hey Techno, have you thought about making a new forum thread as a continuation? I had not been following this thread and missed the update to v6? it would also allow you to update the title and what not to make it more visible when it has been updated.

I am doing all of the really, really annoying processes that are required before doing that (creating a new thread) right now.

It involves taking tons of screenshots and making animations out of them.

I am actually progressing faster than I expected. Another batch of screenshots is coming up.

OK. I think those (except for the one Big Map thing that is labeled garbage) are a very attractive starting point for our first post (in either Showcase or Dev threads).

TODO:

I still need to do RPM screenshots. done

I still need to get screenshots of some science generation (DMagic, can you see if you have these in your screenshots folder already? I don't yet have a career mode savegame). Namely to show that 30% is the minimum you need, 95% is the maximum you can get, etc. done

I need to take screenshots of the toolbar, and some screenshots of non-toolbar interaction. (because this is a feature that changed from v5 to v6) done

I need to take screenshots of some asteroids on the Big Map. (because this is a feature that changed from v5 to v6). done

I need to take screenshots of planted flags showing up properly on the Big Map. (because this is a bug that was fixed for 0.23.5) done

I need to take/find screenshots of some anomalies showing up on the big map. (but not enough to give anything away) done

I need to make a screenshot demonstrating the increased speed with the caching. (this is an new feature -- and it may not be as hard as it sounds to do) scrapped

FYI others and Dmagic:

B.O.S.S. (the screenshot tool) works quite well for generating animations. It lets you take hundreds of screenshots over hundreds of seconds, or a few over a few, or whatever. However, on my system (even with a SSD), it can't write faster than 0.5 second intervals -- which means for some things (like the small map) you have to go past a resonance with the scanline time and pick up successive scanlines. See the Small Map 2nd image for this goes wrong. See the 1st and 4th images for where it goes OK, and goes quite well (except it's actually backwards against the scanline).

Edited by technogeeky

OK. I need to take a break! I am on vacation, after all.

Corrections and suggestions requested! Missing images of cool features requested!

I know at least there are some text changes:

* It's K7, not K6 (projection).

* Shorten the part descriptions so you don't need to mouseover (tiny limit!)

What else?

Looks good. Screenshots make for better educational tools than text, so it's good to show as much as possible.

I imagine you can fit asteroids, flags, and anomalies (just the KSC and maybe island airfield?) on a single screenshot.

Looks good. Screenshots make for better educational tools than text, so it's good to show as much as possible.

I imagine you can fit asteroids, flags, and anomalies (just the KSC and maybe island airfield?) on a single screenshot.

Thanks. I'm quite proud actually. I was able to get a lot of nice animation in under the 2MB limit.

GETTING STARTED

With
Optional
Toolbar Support

Without
Optional
Toolbar Support

PARTS

VAB Descriptions

Animations and BTDT Usage

Small Map

Big Map

Features and Overlays

Animated Examples

IVA maps with RPM

Settings

Edited by technogeeky

I downloaded the version in technogeeky's sig, however I can't get the map to open up at all.

The right click menu's seem to work correctly, but whenever I start scanning the maps just don't show.

I downloaded the version in technogeeky's sig, however I can't get the map to open up at all.

The right click menu's seem to work correctly, but whenever I start scanning the maps just don't show.

Can you post a screenshot?

And do you mean that neither the small map nor the big map show?

Or the maps show, but you never seem to get any mapping data to show on them?

I have the same problem as Joe32320. I also had that problem using the old version of SCANsat as well as the latest version. I have been able to determine it is a mod conflict although I don't know which mod. I installed SCANsat onto a clean install of KSP and everything functioned properly. I have been uninstalling mods 1 by 1 to figure out the conflict.

This is what appears when I try and use the SCANSAT parts.

http://i.imgur.com/dGHE5uc.jpg

If you have the toolbar, then the 'Start ___ Scan' and 'Stop ____ Scan' buttons will no longer open/close any map.

You'll need to use the three toolbar icons to open the maps.

Also, you'll want to go about 10 times higher in altitude for SAR.

This is what appears when I try and use the SCANSAT parts.

You also need to make sure you put the SCANsat folder in the right location: Kerbal Space Program/GameData/SCANsat

Hello,

can it be, that BIGMAP in V6 has problems with "+ [dev] Support for changing what you define as 'sea level'. Compiled to be default (ie, 0)." (from changelog).

At least my Kerbin BIGMAP has the wrong colors according to the scale bar. It looks like the color is offset to about +6000m.

EDIT: OK, forget it, resizing the BIGMAP windows reloaded the map and solved the problem.

BR

Rob

Edited by Rob2222