KMP v0.1.5.1 [0.23] [alpha] [inactive]

TehGimp666

hey guys

so i D/l the client it works but i have no severs, is there an active list of servers, or is anyone willing to share? i can't not run the server as I'm on a mac and using the terminal is to much of a pain lol, I'm lazy maybe?? but iv tried and it makes my brain explode.

@SgtElis: That's a very complicated bug, and that bug is going to be hard to track down (it's currently listed as won't fix on the bug tracker).

KSP depends on an odd version of the .NET framework, most of the times it's fine, but sometimes people run into this bug. If we can work through it, it might be worth commenting on issue 626

@Lundmunchkins: For some not-completely-clear reason, KMPServer needs administrator privileges on windows. The HTTP class may be expecting to use port 80 before it uses 8081, but you might be able to work around the issue by turning the http status page off with "/set httpBroadcast false" before the "/start".

@StelarCF: Generally most mods work, but you have to basically test them for yourselves. There's quite a few servers running with Mechjeb, remotetech, KAS, kethane, FAR etc... So if you're curious, give them a try :)

@MissMolly: There's a server list in my sig, but to set up a server you generally do this:

Download KMPServer from spaceport / the dev version from my build server (this has some problems), or my dark version while gimp is away - which is on the build server too.

Copy Assembly-CSharp.dll, Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll, and UnityEngine.dll into the KMPServer folder

/set autoDekessler true - This deletes debris older than 30 minutes, pretty much well needed on a KMP server.

/set autoHost true - So you don't have to type /start when you start the server next time

/set autoRestart true - When KMPServer crashes it will restart itself

/set safetyBubbleRadius 1700 - The smallest recommended bubble size, it just protects the end of the runway.

/start

You don't need to change the ipBinding - the default is to listen on everything.

While I agree that it might be helpful, there's only so much info that you can put in a readme/opening post/server output before it becomes too bloated and people will ignore it all-together.

It's not even fundamental to Unity; Basically every modern computer language is case sensitive, from Java to Python, XML, C and of course C# which Unity and KSP are built on. It's a simple mistake to make, but also one that is easy to figure out when you look at how the server output capitalizes the commands when it lists them on startup. Not to mention In both mine and godarklight's example code it was capitalized as well, so chances are if someone (not picking on Tux-box1 here specifically) missed it there, after we even provided correct code that could have just been copy/pasted, then adding it to a readme probably wouldn't help much either, regardless of how big we make the letters.

Also just to be clear I'm not trying to put Tux-box1 on the spot here, goodness knows I've made many far more embarrassing mistakes before :D My point is that you can't catch every silly mistake people might make and sometimes it's better to only include the most critically important information, and then help potential issues on a case-by-case basis. That's what these forums are for after all :)

I'll take my punishment for a silly mistake, sure. Just for reference, this is the first time I've run a windows based server app. If I had been running this on a linux server where case sensitivity is the rule every where I wouldn't have missed a beat. Just saying, yes it was a simple mistake I accept that, should have noticed the case in the reference on the command line. I didn't notice but I did figure it out. Now there's a reference to it on the forums so some one who's banging their head on the wall as to why something's not working they can find out with ease. I'm ok with some public backlash if it helps others. /coffee /peace

I have a problem! I install KMP as said. I put the Gamadata folder in the Gamedata folder of KSP; I put the saves in the saves folder. I boot KSP and it says I'm missing the Squad folder which I'm not since I have not moved nor modified the Squad folder whatsoever. Please help me!!!

@SgtElis: Wow... That post took a little bit of figuring out for me, but I didn't actually know those 3 files existed there. Use the ones from KSP_Data for the server, they contain the functions we use, unlike Launcher_Data.

I think this has been popping up occasionally and you might have given me an explanation as to why it happens, thanks :)

If you can't see each other - I'm hoping you are just in the safety bubble still. You can find out if you are in the bubble by typing !bubble.

@ZooNamedGames: KMP has 2 folders to install, the first is "(Your_KSP_folder)/GameData/KMP/", and the other is "(Your_KSP_folder)/saves/KMP/".

One way to verify for sure, is to use my KMPUpdater program. If you did it correctly it won't download anything.

I know I've been suggesting the dark version for a while, but the current development version has just a few too many problems for my liking. When things are merged back the dark version will be deleted (because the changes will be merged back into dev) :).

KMPUpdater-dark.exe is going to be helpful for a little while still...

I have tried setting it up: KSP/Gamedata/Gamedata/KMP stuff AND have tried KSP/Gamedata/KMP Stuff+Squad folder.

I have downloaded several mods successfully but only his KMP been a constant issue... Also I have followed many tutorials and guides for no avail.... Do I need Mod Manager for this? I don't think so...

@ZooNamedGames: Kvick might have confused you, he was just trying to say make sure you have KMP installed like this:

1) KSP/GameData/KMP (under this folder there will be plugins, flags, and KMPButton).

2) KSP/saves/KMP (under this folder there will be start.sfs and persistent.sfs)

I have no idea what's going on with the squad folder, it should be where it always is (it should never be touched by mods):

KSP/GameData/Squad (under this will be Flags, FX, Parts etc).

It kind of sounds like you need to reinstall KSP, KerbalMultiPlayer has nothing to do with the squad folder :-/

KMPUpdater will also install KMP for you, just put it right next to KSP.exe.

@Designer225: I've never heard of spectate mode failing, It kind of sounds like a player switched to your vessel, but I don't think it's possible for you to lose control to another player (unless you jump to the space center or another vessel). If this is the release version server lag could be playing a part too.

If you know how to make it happen exactly, it's worth reporting on the bug tracker.

I have downloaded it correctly as far as anyone has said. However it still doesn't work and yes, I have no touched the squad folder. I have reused the same .zip that I got from KSP.com, so it's as original and normal it can get. I'd say it was me, but when I tried to join the servers, others could, but I could not. :/ so.... I'm gonna need a serious technician. I'll try that link you gave me, but if it fails again. Then I am lost. :( there is very little I can do, after this. I came to the forums as a last resort, so I am going to just skip this mod (sadly) if no fix can be found, which may be the hard truth. We'll see

my friend and I are trying to play on the same server. We are successful but for some reason if I move my s*hip and he is close to me he will move far away from me. If I don't move my ship you can doc.K. Basically only one of us can be moving our ships or else it seems to bug out where he warps away. I am using version 0.1 .6. Any ideas?

Edited by kaladek

I have downloaded it correctly as far as anyone has said. However it still doesn't work and yes, I have no touched the squad folder. I have reused the same .zip that I got from KSP.com, so it's as original and normal it can get. I'd say it was me, but when I tried to join the servers, others could, but I could not. :/ so.... I'm gonna need a serious technician. I'll try that link you gave me, but if it fails again. Then I am lost. :( there is very little I can do, after this. I came to the forums as a last resort, so I am going to just skip this mod (sadly) if no fix can be found, which may be the hard truth. We'll see

Hm, have you heard about Teamviewer? If not, I'll explain it to you. It's basically a program that allows you to control someone's computer and someone can control yours. You install it and start the program. After that, you are given a persistent ID (9 numbers) and a password (4 numbers). In order for someone to control your computer, they need the ID and the pass. If they have that, they can help you with stuff, remotely.

I'm thinking that maybe Godarklight or I can help you by using that. I'm available right now, so if you want you can throw me a PM and I'll explain more in detail.

@Pockrtplanesairways: You install it the same way as you install it on windows and linux, copy the folders to the correct place, or just run KMPUpdater from the KSP directory.

@ZooNamedGames: I think I'm going to need you to start KSP with -kmpdebug

To do that, Right click on the KSP shortcut, I think the end of it will look like KSP.exe", change that to KSP.exe" -kmpdebug

Start KSP, connect to a server (if KMP comes up), and then close KMP again. After that upload KSP_Data/output_log.txt to pastebin. It's probably better to jump on the IRC channel for this though, you might be hitting something odd and it's easier than trying to talk in the forum thread :)

@kaladek: The only version that is called 0.1.6 is my dark version, so that kind of helps ;)

There's a bug with the way KMP currently handles docking mode, the idea was to resync the orbit around every 14 seconds (from memory), but that causes the other ship to jump every 14 seconds... It's related to bug 436. The bug been around for a while, but the fix isn't completely clear just yet.

The problem is a radial component is getting added to the vessel when it really should not be, here's a video of the extreme case and then showing the orbit resync.

I also didn't realise before, Welcome to the forums ZooNamedGames and kaladek :)

@KvickFlygarn87: Teamviewer/join.me/vnc may be good for that thing, but I think it would be much better creating a tutorial so everyone can see ;)

I'm am one of those people whom don't trust the common Internet to have full access to my computer HOWEVER, if I could email you pictures of what I see, could you tell me what to do then?

I don't think anyone here would ask you to give 'full access' to your computer... "one of those people" would cover basically everyone here.

The whole point of taking a screenshot is that you choose what is shown. If you ever need to show someone something but don't want to show everything on your screen, just use the windows snipping tool: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/snipping-tool

With it you can select a section of your screen, save it as an image and then upload that image on an image hosting service such as imgur. The screenshot at the bottom of this post is an example of where using screenshots helps, because it can convey information easier than trying to describe it in words.

So are you asking me to change the .exe file to something else? I think your explanation has the most hope, but please elaborate. I don't understand if you want me to change the .exe file or if it's something in game...

In windows you can add command-line parameters through shortcuts: http://vgstrategies.about.com/od/faq/a/CommandLineP.htm

What godarklight said is for you to modify a shortcut to the game. The exe itself remains completely and totally unchanged.

Another way to do this that might be easier for you would be by adding it as a launch option in steam: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=1040-JWMT-2947

You can follow the above tutorial, and the launch option you would type in the text field is -kmpdebug.

In short, this is what you should see in steam:

kSv0viC.png

Though the windows will of course look slightly different, since I'm using mac OS here.

This ultimately does exactly the same thing as adding the parameter on a shortcut, and it will only work if you launch the game inside steam (the same way that parameters on a shortcut only work if you actually run the game by using that shortcut).

Once that launch option is added, just click 'play' on kerbal space program in steam, and the log file that is created will now include some extra debug information.

Edited by JohannesMP

Ah, now your going the wrong way, I don't have steam, nor imgur, however I'll get one seen for this reason. So, I'll do what you say, just don't go on the path of steam. As I don't have it. If I get the log file, do you want to me oy put it here or where?

Edited by ZooNamedGames

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.