When to de-orbit a station?

something else you could do is using RCS (largely dependant on how much fuel you have) you could do the initial zero velocity procedure described above, then after you begin your approach (i dont do more than 2.5 m/s less than 1km) use the IJKL keys (in staging mode) to control your lateral drift.

I think, after reading all of your replies folks I have decided, it will be placed into stand by mode with 2 solar array's left extended, bring her crew home after 5 years in orbit, and leave her in orbit, fully fueled, supplied and waiting for the need for her to go operational again. Thank you all.

well, here sits the station, with the crew return vehicle docked. I find that after overhauling my initial launch vehicle to get them home, and finally docking, I am re-debating this with myself lol. First pic is the FIRST attempted automated crew return vehicle, the Goliath Crew Return Vehicle. was a MONSTER that was ultimately scrapped. could not be controlled. Following 3 images are the final version of the GCRV the MK3 variant, very scaled back, but, still a reliable launch platform. The GCRV module in orbit, and finally docked at the KISS <Kerbal International Space Station> viewing a sunrise that sadly sparked the debate in my head again lol

sd55.png

dy1s.png

glrh.png

tjqs.png

Edited by AlamoVampire

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.