Simulation tweak

Hello all,

Normally i don't make suggestions for games like this, as i am sure the devs already have a million ideas on their plate ... and as always there are some obvious ones that will stand out and these obvious ones are already thought of and repeated in forums like this 1000 times. So i usually find its best to let them get on with the mountain of work before repeating any of these standard ideas.

That said there is one minor tweak that i would love to see ... and i only suggest it because i know its a very very easy thing to change up.

It is to do with the Revert flight option when you press escape during a mission, this is useful but I think i may have come up with a more interesting way of doing it that will add realism to the game. ---- Flight Simulation!

Flight Simulation is an absolutely crucial part of NASA's work and can be very easily replicated without changing much at all.

At the moment we revert the flights, I think it would be really cool if there was an option in the construction yard to turn on and off flight simulation mode before you launch you mission.

So if simulation is on, things would work very much as they do now ... you can revert flights to assembly or launch as many times as you like, the difference being here that it would not allow you to gather any data to increase your science for further unlocks.

whereas when you turn it off the flight is for real .... any accidents that happen, happen, and there is no reverting just plain death and mayhem. (unless you have prepared for it in your designs, with escape pods etc.)

Obviously this idea is for career mode and may have already been planned, but if not i really feel it would add that intensity to your "real" flights and add that extra element of realism to the overall experience. From what i know of programming this will not be hard to adjust either.

Thanks for reading people, let me know what you think!

HarvesteR is against having a "Simulation" mode because he doesn't want to force people who succeed in that mode to do it again "for real this time". You can think of Revert Flight as a retroactive simulation mode - if you reverted, it was a simulation. If you didn't, it was the real deal.

So people not liking this one then .... fair enough, Its a shame really, ..... I can see it making things a looot more exciting. Only drawback i saw was --- for some reason some builds work fine the first time but will completely fall apart on the second.

and i know what you guys are saying in regards to treating all the failed attempts as a simulator, its kind of what i do now anyway. I just think that failures happen in the space program and using your initiative to solve the crisis is a big part of being an astronaut ... look at apollo 13 one of NASA's most famous of flights ... they didnt make a film about apollo 11 did they!!

This game could so easily re-create that lvl of excitement, i know that its really long winded testing every stage of your mission before a real flight takes place, but it would test you ... How confident are you in your designs over how much do you care for your kerbals!

In regards to making the game more real ... i think for games like this the more real the better. I understand that some people don't like realism in games but have mainly found that's because they can't deal with the intensity real life throws at you and like to take the easy way out. If this is you stop being lazy and man up!!!

that said i do love the cheat of being able to re-enter the atmosphere from any angle at any speed and not burn up into a million pieces. the majority of my flights would never make it home otherwise.

but as far as i am concerned its still cheating :P

Edited by Mirimus

So people not liking this one then .... fair enough, Its a shame really, ..... I can see it making things a looot more exciting. Only drawback i saw was --- for some reason some builds work fine the first time but will completely fall apart on the second.

and i know what you guys are saying in regards to treating all the failed attempts as a simulator, its kind of what i do now anyway. I just think that failures happen in the space program and using your initiative to solve the crisis is a big part of being an astronaut ... look at apollo 13 one of NASA's most famous of flights ... they didnt make a film about apollo 11 did they!!

This game could so easily re-create that lvl of excitement, i know that its really long winded testing every stage of your mission before a real flight takes place, but it would test you ... How confident are you in your designs over how much do you care for your kerbals!

And it would be boring as crap. What the hell would be exiting about testing, when you can just shoot your kerbals up and figure it out on the way?

In regards to making the game more real ... i think for games like this the more real the better. I understand that some people don't like realism in games but have mainly found that's because they can't deal with the intensity real life throws at you and like to take the easy way out. If this is you stop being lazy and man up!!!

How about you stop being lazy and go buy a simulator, instead of trying to turn a game into a simulator. Go learn the difference

that said i do love the cheat of being able to re-enter the atmosphere from any angle at any speed and not burn up into a million pieces. the majority of my flights would never make it home otherwise.

but as far as i am concerned its still cheating :P

The what now? You have a funny definition of cheats

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.