Now-defunct-thread-that-should-not-appear-in-google-search.

Cilph

Is anyway to make a configuration, like the target: active vessel, and make it like active connection, so when there is no direct connection to the mission control, the dish would point towards the next available connection that has direct or through other satelites, a connection to the mission control. And also make the dishes a bit automated, this means, that whenever a dish is pointed to them, the satelite would point one back.

Also this seems stupid, but for less than a click, i lost two probes, meaning the fact i clicking on activating and actually forgot to target them to mission control, so a second suggestion, make mission control default, so when the satelite is activated, it goes straight to it.

Now THAT was fast, thanks a lot!

Btw am i the only one who gets his geostationary orbits messed up by the game? I got 3 Geostationaries around Kerbin, they were almost perfectly distributed around the planet and were only off between each other for like 5 seconds per orbit. But on a reload suddenly one of the three got moved close to another one and now i got a good part not covered anymore and need to launch a new one.

At some point you gonna end with 10 satelites KSO, just to keep the connection live with all your satelites, that's how

Also would make more sense, if the antenas, were able to receive from any distance, but only to send to a certain distance as defined right now, it makes more sense, since you only need a copper wire to hear the radio, and other instruments to transmit data.

Also would make more sense, if the antenas, were able to receive from any distance, but only to send to a certain distance as defined right now, it makes more sense, since you only need a copper wire to hear the radio, and other instruments to transmit data.

You need bidirectional communication to control a craft.

A question. Is one omnidirectional antenna enough for multiple links inside the range, or do you need one antenna for each connection?

Any antenna can connect as many times as it needs. I tend to keep multiple on each relay for realism purposes. Also, multiple dishes for multiple targets.

At some point you gonna end with 10 satelites KSO, just to keep the connection live with all your satelites, that's how

I've got an 8 relay constellation at KSO, with huge overlap from each. They also all target the exact same things for the sole purpose of complete coverage at all times possible.

Just notice this little glitch, and an aesthetic one in the upper left where it shows connection status. If I have satellites connected in a relay pattern around mun, I notice that sometimes they will lose their connection to mission control even when there is a craft capable of receiving a signal from either MC or a KSO satellite.

2w5ppqs.jpg

Edited by Mykill Metal

I'm having great fun with this mod. Spent about 3 hours planning satellite constellations on paper to get the minimum cost for total coverage. Now have 3 satellites in LKO to relay a signal to the Mun.

Today I used the flight computer to run a capture burn when on the far side of the Mun.

This mod requires a whole new style of planning and play and I'm loving it. Can't wait for signal delay to add in another dimension :)

Well assuming we want to give total coverage in Kerbin and the mun, it will require some sort of 6 satelites with a lot dishes, the three satelites in KSO, would have 5 dishes, one to point to the Mission control, two dishes to point to the other satelites in KSO, one for active vessel, one pointing at the moon "When targeting a planet, the dish will look for a target anywhere in a cone towards that planet. How wide this cone can be is a property of the dish.", i haven't tested but Cliph says it works. The other three satelites on the moon, would have almost the same ammount of dishes, 2 for each vessel in the orbit around the moon, one for active vessel, one for mission control(assuming the signal delay will be bigger, if crossing through other satelites, this will help) and one pointing at the planet kerbin.

The problem is, it isn't working. I have at least 8-10 dishes on each satellite and they each have a target, yet when i use another craft and use those as relays, they don't connect to their targets, and I checked, they're well within the range of the dishes.

addendum - It would be stupid to make us have to change craft and point it a different way, screw the whole "must be in the cone of a dish" thing, if it's within the 90Mm or whatever the range of that dish is, in ANY direction (because i can't control that many crafts, and don't want to even if i could) it should connect. is there a way to get rid of the whole "cone aim" thing? this isn't real life, just having to make satellites is enough. we shouldn't have to rotate and pitch and yaw them every five minutes just to make a burn around jool.

Edited by Mykill Metal
addendum

is there a way to get rid of the whole "cone aim" thing? this isn't real life, just having to make satellites is enough. we shouldn't have to rotate and pitch and yaw them every five minutes just to make a burn around jool.

There is no "cone aim" thing. Just the dish targets which are assigned via a menu as you know. Once they have been assigned the dish automatically turns the cone to face its target. You have a different problem with the connection loss, however from your description i am unsure what it is.

I got 3 Geostationaries around Kerbin, they were almost perfectly distributed around the planet and were only off between each other for like 5 seconds per orbit.

5 seconds off is actually quite significant. Your satellites will drift around half a degree per day. Spend a little time in rapid time-warp and your satellites will not be where you left them.

You have to get the periods down to the precise second if you don't want to have to do station-keeping maneuvers from time to time.

Edited by RoboRay

Well assuming we want to give total coverage in Kerbin and the mun, it will require some sort of 6 satellites with a lot dishes.....

You can get away with quite a lot less. 3 satellites at 120 degrees apart in orbits of 625km will be able to use the communitron 32 to link to KSC and each other. Then they only need 1 dish to point at the mun, or at the active craft. I've set this up with each sat only having the 1 antenna and 1 dish. A similar set-up will work for the Mun, or you can use the flight computer to plan burns when on the far side of the Mun and get away with less that 100% coverage.

I've started blogging my Remote Tech adventures, with a focus on maximum efficiency. It's a work in progress but you can read it here:

http://www.kingtiger.co.uk/kingtiger/wordpress/2013/11/19/kasa-lowest-possible-orbit/

Mykill, we just dont have enough information to answer that.

Maybe some dish is not targeted properly? Maybe a dish which is targeted properly lost its line-of-sight? Maybe some of your sattelites are running out of electricity? Maybe you are not using the latest version(there was a conn loss issue with planet targeting a few versions ago)?

Or maybe you did encounter a new bug in which case you should head over to github and properly report it (include log and/or persistance file).

In any event i can see nothing wrong with that screenshot except the wrong position of the flight comp icon over MET/Timewarp interface. But then again your mission time is also positioned wrong which leads me to suspect that the problem is not related (just to) RT.

all the satellites are on rtgs loaded up the wazoo with extra batteries and and extra set of XL solar arrays, power is not an issue, as for connection, it's clearly in the line of sight of two of my KSO satellites, just not talking to them, whenever i'm controlling any secondary craft the relay one won't connect, but when i switch to it, it does

Btw am i the only one who gets his geostationary orbits messed up by the game? I got 3 Geostationaries around Kerbin, they were almost perfectly distributed around the planet and were only off between each other for like 5 seconds per orbit. But on a reload suddenly one of the three got moved close to another one and now i got a good part not covered anymore and need to launch a new one.

Just 'walk' the bird back into position. Lower your peri to go faster and move to the east (relative to the other birds) or raise your apo to go slower and move to the west. Circularize when you're in the right spot.

all the satellites are on rtgs loaded up the wazoo with extra batteries and and extra set of XL solar arrays, power is not an issue, as for connection, it's clearly in the line of sight of two of my KSO satellites, just not talking to them, whenever i'm controlling any secondary craft the relay one won't connect, but when i switch to it, it does

Only thing which comes to mind is...

Are you sure the dishes are targeted properly? As in they target other sattelites and not Kerbin/Mun. Anything but the shorest range dish(DTS-M1 at 45 degree) doesnt have enough cone angle to encompass your whole network at that range. So it might gain and lose connection as sattelites fly through the narrow cone of a long range dish.

If this is not the case it does sound like a new bug.

is there a way to get rid of this "cone"? i'm not switching to each one to turn it slightly just for a connection... like couldn't they all be OMNI with a sphere or something?

Oh and they are targeting the satellites but when you're not controlling them they can't turn. Which is a problem.

The dishes look cool and all, but KSP isn't real life, needing satellites for signal is good enough, don't need to make it any harder.

Edited by Mykill Metal

is there a way to get rid of this "cone"? i'm not switching to each one to turn it slightly just for a connection... like couldn't they all be OMNI?

Oh and they are targeting the satellites but when you're not controlling them they can't turn. Which is a problem.

You dont need to turn them manually at all. In fact turning the facing of the ship does nothing for the facing of the dish cone. The dish cone turns on its own, even if you are not controlling the ship, if it has a target assigned. Afaik there is no way to turn off cones on dishes without reconfiguring them into omnis.

To see where a dish cone is pointing click the second icon from the left ("X") in the small RT interface at the lower right of your map/tracking station screen. The "X" will turn into a small planet after you do this and dish cones will display on your map screen.

Can you click this icon and then screenshot and repost the situation you showed before? Seeing cones might make troubleshooting your problem easier.

If you really want to you can turn dishes into omnis or ramp up the range on omnis to dish level quite easily by editing the cfg files.

Edited by Vrana