Now-defunct-thread-that-should-not-appear-in-google-search.

Cilph

For some reason, after I set the signal delay from true to false, the Remote Tech control panel no longer appears when I press the button in the top left corner. Any thoughts?

I'm thinking:

Edit the cfg file in the RT2 folder, set delay from TRUE to FALSE.

Edit: Or True to False - mind the capitalization.

But not a clue beyond that.

I have a big problem - whenever I try to launch with the first antenna and activate it, it simply breaks off during launch.

Is this possibly because of Deadly Reentry or something?

The Communotron 16 ? Working as Intended, if it's deployed it will break under high dynamic pressure, i.e. when moving through the atmosphere at speed. You need to have a sturdier antenna, couple of the dishes don't mind being active in atmo, or there's the 500km dipole antenna (Reflectron DP-10) that's activated from the start and doesn't break in atmosphere. :)

Edited by Sacred Aardvark
typos and s..tuff

I have a big problem - whenever I try to launch with the first antenna and activate it, it simply breaks off during launch.

Each antenna has a maximum dynamic pressure, beyond which it will break if it is activated. Your best bet is to attach the small dipole to your booster stage. It doesn't need to be activated and will withstand a launch (and re-entry). Once safely out of the atmosphere, you can then activate your other antennas.

Trying to launch first satellite. Programming for 900 m/s burn and only getting about 600. What am I doing wrong? See before & after screen captures.

Are you actually getting only 600m/s of burn, or is there 300m/s left on the node after your 900m/s burn is complete?

You're not making an instant velocity change that the burn node "assumes" you would, hence the longer the burn the larger the difference in actual burn and perceived burn dV. Like with the nodes path display after burn differing slightly from the real path after the burn.

At least that's what I think is happening. I've only guesses and empirical evidence for it :P

Also, your second link gives a 404, and neither of the img tags work for me, had to quote you to see the links.

Are you actually getting only 600m/s of burn, or is there 300m/s left on the node after your 900m/s burn is complete?

You're not making an instant velocity change that the burn node "assumes" you would, hence the longer the burn the larger the difference in actual burn and perceived burn dV. Like with the nodes path display after burn differing slightly from the real path after the burn.

At least that's what I think is happening. I've only guesses and empirical evidence for it :P

Also, your second link gives a 404, and neither of the img tags work for me, had to quote you to see the links.

During the burn, it thinks that it is changing the delta v by 900. (It decreases from 900 to 0 in the flight computer display). When it reaches 0, it stops the burn, but the ship is still about 300 d/v short of establishing an orbit.

Sorry about the link. Don't know what I'm doing wrong there, either :blush:

I'm trying to launch several subsatellites from a single vessel, but the subsatellites, when released, aren't getting a connection, even though they have an active SPU probe core, electrical power, active omni antennas, etc. The mothership has an active connection and several omnis on it, so it should be relaying the connection to the subsatellites.

What's going on?

Really needs some mechanic to "lock" satellite constellations' orbital separation, second perfect orbital periods still result in sats bunching up in useless orbits after some time-warping, you can do it using hyper-edit, but that feels like cheating, even if you're almost there manually, some in-mod mechanic to do it would be nice, "maintain orbit" etc, could very slowly spend fuel and need some power to run.

Not sure if you know this already. If you send a command with a delay of 60 sec and ship loses connection after 30 sec, command is still recieved.

My ship went behind eve and still preformed command when it shouldnt have recieved message.

Edited by Romby

During the burn, it thinks that it is changing the delta v by 900. (It decreases from 900 to 0 in the flight computer display). When it reaches 0, it stops the burn, but the ship is still about 300 d/v short of establishing an orbit.

Sorry about the link. Don't know what I'm doing wrong there, either :blush:

I wont start arguing this too badly since I'm not all that confident I'm even in the right ballpark with this hypothesis. :)

However, I'd like to point out that you are not burning prograde, but towards the maneuver node, which might somewhat explain the reduced increase from expected in orbital velocity, though it probably doesn't.. Think I need to start up KSP and do some experiments before embarrassing myself any further ^_^

I do suspect that I'm way off base, since I've had at most a 10% difference in burns and you're missing a freaking third of the burn :o

You do have 900m/s of dV left in the stage, right? :wink: (had to ask, sorry :P )

[edit]:

The mothership has an active connection and several omnis on it

Is this active connection via omni, or targeted dish? If the latter, is the dish targeting the mothership, or active vessel? If the latter (deja vu), then the connection to the mothership gets cut when you swap to the subsat as the subsat is now the active vessel.

Not sure if you know this already. If you send a command with a delay of 60 sec and ship loses connection after 30 sec, command is still recieved.

My ship went behind eve and still preformed command when it shouldnt have recieved message.

The delay is for the execution of the event on the ship, not for sending it to the ship. The delay is there exactly so you can queue stuff up to be done when you are out of contact. :) (unless you meant [edit: he did mean] a 60s signal delay, not a custom delay, I'm not playing with signal lag atm so can't comment on that)

to avoid DP

The delay is for the execution of the event on the ship, not for sending it to the ship. The delay is there exactly so you can queue stuff up to be done when you are out of contact. :) (unless you meant a 60s signal delay, not a custom delay, I'm not playing with signal lag atm so can't comment on that)

It wasn´t the adjustable delay in flight computer i meant. Know this is made to allow you to preform burns with no connection. Had a 63 sec delay when flying around eve. Send a command and lost connection before it arrived and ship still preformed command.

Edited by Romby

It wasn´t the adjustable delay in flight computer i meant. Know this is made to allow you to preform burns with no connection. Had a 63 sec delay when flying around eve. Send a command and lost connection before it arrived and ship still preformed command.

Yeaaah... *cough* I remembered the delay to be "up to minutes near Jool", and Eve is closer so figured that it might not get a 60s signal lag. Having now checked, it was "up to 15 minutes near Jool" :blush:

Think I need to start up KSP and do some experiments before embarrassing myself any further ^_^

Okay, did a test, 1400m/s burn via the flight computer in a ship with 1499m/s dV. End result was that the node shows the burn to be 54.4m/s incomplete and MechJeb showing 147m/s dV left in the stage.

Second test, quickloaded and did the same burn, but orbit prograde instead of node. End result was that the node shows 166m/s to completion (more as was expected since we're burning in a off-direction), MJ says we have 192m/s left in the tank. (wth? :huh: )

Conclusion: I don't know. But my previous hypothesis has been shot down I think.

I'm not sure if there's any relevant info to be found there so I didn't post them, but if someone wants I can up my screenshots.

Moar testing nao ->

Okay, did a test, 1400m/s burn via the flight computer in a ship with 1499m/s dV. End result was that the node shows the burn to be 54.4m/s incomplete and MechJeb showing 147m/s dV left in the stage.

Second test, quickloaded and did the same burn, but orbit prograde instead of node. End result was that the node shows 166m/s to completion (more as was expected since we're burning in a off-direction), MJ says we have 192m/s left in the tank. (wth? :huh: )

Conclusion: I don't know. But my previous hypothesis has been shot down I think.

I'm not sure if there's any relevant info to be found there so I didn't post them, but if someone wants I can up my screenshots.

Moar testing nao ->

I think there was an issue in the flight computer not doing the correct calculation for burns(mentioned who knows how many pages back) and it was being worked on for the next version. I have the same issue with incomplete burns.

I think there was an issue in the flight computer not doing the correct calculation for burns(mentioned who knows how many pages back) and it was being worked on for the next version. I have the same issue with incomplete burns.

Oh, alrighty then, must have missed (or forgot) that. :blush:

Did you ever get your planetary targeting working btw? :)

Despite having turned Signal Delay off, the Flight Computer seem to not really figure this out. Also how do I turn OFF the flight computer once I turned it on? (after having used it ONCE, with signal delay turned off, it kept putting all my commands into the Flight Computer instead of just executing them, furthermore like previously stated, the signal delay seemed to automatically be added to the commands)

Please help with this, and thank you so much for this wonderful mod

can someone please help me here: I really want to use the AIES dishes and antennas, but I can't find a way to do it. I know that at one point there was a download that was on either the remotetech or the AIES thread, but I can't find it anywhere! I feel that I'm probably just going to have to edit the Config files, but I'd rather not mess something up.

You do have 900m/s of dV left in the stage, right? :wink: (had to ask, sorry :P )

Yes:)

I got it working. I received a BSOD later and re-downloaded the MOD. First one must have been corrupt because I got a different MD5 on the second. This one seems to work. THANKS A BUNCH for the help.

I noticed that if you de-activate an engine during a programmed burn, the Flight Computer continues to decrease "count down" the m/s required, and eventually shuts off the throttle. So it's not specifically using actual ship delta/v as an input to how much change needs to be made, or has already been made.

Really needs some mechanic to "lock" satellite constellations' orbital separation, second perfect orbital periods still result in sats bunching up in useless orbits after some time-warping, you can do it using hyper-edit, but that feels like cheating, even if you're almost there manually, some in-mod mechanic to do it would be nice, "maintain orbit" etc, could very slowly spend fuel and need some power to run.

There is not much the mod can do for you, placing the satellites in an exact 6hr KSO orbit with correct phase angles is a difficult (and rewarding) exercise.

Have in mind that a 1 second difference results in a big deviation after a single year passes (1460 orbits of 21600 seconds). You have to be a lot more precise than that, here are some tips to achieve that.

Getting the correct phase angle's not too hard though.

Just needed to find the right math for it.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IX6ykVb0xifBrB4BRFDpqPO6kjYiLvOcEo3zwmZL0sQ/edit?pli=1

Get a graphing calculator to do that, or you can follow one I already plotted below:

A hohman transfer to a target from a 200 km (circular) orbit to a 2868 km orbit has a phase angle of ~92 degrees.

That means, for your burn, your destination position needs to be 92 degrees ahead of you at the time of your transfer burn. When burning for arranging keosync satellites, your 'target' is going to be an imaginary spot above your desired coverage position. Don't worry about getting it down to a degree or two. You've got enough play with distances at that altitude that it doesn't really matter.

When putting up a constellation, just imagine your target spots in relation to an existing satellite.

So in short. Set up for a 200x200 km orbit. Wait until your vessel is coming up on a right angle from your target point in KEO, and do your burn.