Now-defunct-thread-that-should-not-appear-in-google-search.

Cilph

Installing it wrong is not a bug. RemoteTech2 installs like any other mod.

I downloaded, then extracted to the main KSP directory, like every other mod I have that didn't specify otherwise. Did I miss a step? All my other mods work fine.

Edit: went back and repeated everything, though I think I forgot to delete the original parts directory, because they're all showing up twice in the VAB

Edited by Roastduck

Hello! First - thanks for your work, it's really amazing mod, which makes KSP more realistic and challanging to play.

So a have some issue here about wirking it with kOS mod. To tell the truth I unstalled kOS mostly for playing with RemoteTech. The key idea was - if we have a communication problems with automaed ships (as a feature of this mod with all this antenna range, signal delay and all the stuff) - why don't we just install a programmable computer module on them? So when our ship comes out of communication range it'll still complete it's program via kOS module. It will not be controllable of course but it will continue its mission. That was the idea. But when the ship comes out of range - it shuts down its engine and stops working, despite the program it was running.

I downloaded, then extracted to the main KSP directory, like every other mod I have that didn't specify otherwise. Did I miss a step? All my other mods work fine.

Look at where those mods actually go. There should be similar patterns to all of them at the folder level. Think about where they go.

Hello! First - thanks for your work, it's really amazing mod, which makes KSP more realistic and challanging to play.

So a have some issue here about wirking it with kOS mod. To tell the truth I unstalled kOS mostly for playing with RemoteTech. The key idea was - if we have a communication problems with automaed ships (as a feature of this mod with all this antenna range, signal delay and all the stuff) - why don't we just install a programmable computer module on them? So when our ship comes out of communication range it'll still complete it's program via kOS module. It will not be controllable of course but it will continue its mission. That was the idea. But when the ship comes out of range - it shuts down its engine and stops working, despite the program it was running.

RemoteTech is not yet compatible with kOS. You will have to wait and just do what you can with the limited abilities of the built in RemoteTech Flight Computer.

I've encountered a highly reproducible bug when using MechJeb (v139 and both v150) with RemoteTech 2 v 1.3.3.

This problem only occurred with payload probes. Not fully independent probes.

After launching a manned mission with a probe core payload, the probe core refuses to execute MechJeb commands correctly when separated. Time warp works correctly but throttle and attitude (orientation) do not. The gyros begin jittering all over the place in small oscillations, never finding the correct maneuver orientation. This is the source problem.

ONLY after doing these steps, the game starts throwing other errors. The RemoteTech overlay showing satellite conditions starts to drift around in space from map view. Afterwards, when trying to access spaceport, the whole screen turns blue as if the ground and all objects are gone. This persists till the game is restarted.

I have a gamesave if necessary.

Maybe this is a noob question, but I'm having a problem with running landers using RT2. I've googled for an answer and scanned through several dozen of these pages to no avail, so now I'm looking for help.

What I've done is built a two part probe mission to go to Eve. One part is an orbitter to scan the planet and (hopefully) act as a communication link between Mission Control and the other part, which is a lander. The orbitter has a GX-128 linked to a satellite orbiting Kerbin, which in turn gives it a good, continuous link to mission control, a DP-10, a Communatron-16 and a KR-7. The lander has a DP-10, a Communatron-16 and a KR-7. Initially, I thought I could send them out using just the DP-10s to maintain the communication link when they first separated while I linked the two KR-7's to each other. But that didn't work, so I added the comm-16s to each figuring that maybe the DP-10s don't link to anything but mission control and that having an active, omnidirectional antenna would provide the short range link until I got the KR-7's connected up. But that didn't work either. I can't point the KR-7s at each other before the orbiter and lander part company, so how am I supposed to do this, short of putting a whacking great GX-128 or KR-14 onto my little 1.25m lander? Or sending a half dozen Kerbals in a command ship to Eve to run the lander?

Can anyone give me some ideas for setting up a simple relay network around Kerbin? I'm trying to find the optimal altitude to ensure 100% equatorial coverage with the minimum number of satellites. I'm assuming the best antenna to use for Kerbin orbit is the dipole antenna.

Also, say I have a long range dish in orbit around Kerbin, perhaps pointing at a deep space ship, can that relay to a dipole antenna within 500km?

Bobe it's around 2868 Km some might think of it as cheating but i like the Hermes Deep Space Probe and make a *.cfg and put it in my RT folder if you want to try it download the mod http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/?p=7338 then open notepad

make a file that looks like this

@PART[LH_Hermes]

{

MODULE

{

name = ModuleSPU

}

MODULE

{

name = ModuleRTAntennaPassive

TechRequired = unmannedTech

OmniRange = 60000000000

EnergyCost = 0.93

TRANSMITTER

{

PacketInterval = 0.3

PacketSize = 2

PacketResourceCost = 15.0

then save it what u name it *.txt after save rename the *.TXT to *.cfg then put it in your RT folder has a 60 gm range Omni and if u use the gps mod and kos and protractor u can use this for it

@PART[LH_Hermes]

{

MODULE

{

name = ModuleSPU

}

MODULE

{

name = ModuleRTAntennaPassive

TechRequired = unmannedTech

OmniRange = 60000000000

EnergyCost = 0.93

TRANSMITTER

{

PacketInterval = 0.3

PacketSize = 2

PacketResourceCost = 15.0

}

MODULE

{

name = FigaroTransmitter

power = 0.03

}

MODULE

{

name = KerbalGPS

GNSSacronym = NONE

}

MODULE

{

name = kOSProcessor

}

MODULE

{

name = ProtractorModule

}

}

}

Edited by Mecripp2

Bobe it's around 2868 Km

Woah there, don't go over complicating things and making him have to overthink and over-engineer his craft by telling him he needs to make a geosynchronous comsat constellation.

Can anyone give me some ideas for setting up a simple relay network around Kerbin? I'm trying to find the optimal altitude to ensure 100% equatorial coverage with the minimum number of satellites. I'm assuming the best antenna to use for Kerbin orbit is the dipole antenna.

Also, say I have a long range dish in orbit around Kerbin, perhaps pointing at a deep space ship, can that relay to a dipole antenna within 500km?

Bobe, not very many people realize this, but I will let you in on a lovely secret about comsat coverage, its all about simple geometry. Think of it as you are looking down at Kerbin from the north pole. Also imagine the lines going from comsat to comsat, the closest you can get to kerbin is the point at which the lines from a polygon and an inscribed circle. this means that the more satellites you have, the closer you can get to Kerbin. In my old .22 save I had a 4 satellite constellation of antenna based satellites at 400 km and I had a 3 satellite configuration with dishes in geosynchronous orbit. I would also recommend throwing a few extra satellites into the same/similar orbits as a redundancy measure against the constellation drifting out of position. Also, if you are ever looking for polar coverage as well, may I recommend throwing a few satellites into two separate (north focused and south focused) 90 degree inclination Molniya-style orbits

Now as for your dish/antenna question, if you have a relay (with a connection of course) and it has a dish pointed at a ship with a dipole antenna that is within 500 km, it should relay the signal, if the dipole ship is farther away than 500 km from the ship with the dish, this will not work

Edited by Rokker

You need the 5 million meter for a simple yet effective setup like this: http://www.polaris.iastate.edu/EveningStar/Unit4/Graphics/PicES4_8.jpg Three is enough for basics and it's easy to make. You won't have to worry about drift.

I've encountered a highly reproducible bug when using MechJeb (v139 and both v150) with RemoteTech 2 v 1.3.3.

[...]

ONLY after doing these steps, the game starts throwing other errors. The RemoteTech overlay showing satellite conditions starts to drift around in space from map view. Afterwards, when trying to access spaceport, the whole screen turns blue as if the ground and all objects are gone. This persists till the game is restarted.

I'm having a similar issue with the same two addons (admittedly, with about 20 others as well), and there's error log spam about being unable to find the active vessel or having an invalid active vessel that multiple plugins would complain about.

I'm also having an issue with rapid unplanned disassembly when switching vessels sometimes, but I'm currently suspecting FAR or KJR for that one.

Edited by dewin
Fix misquote

Kerbin can be covered with 3 satellites (I did 4) excluding the poles. Here's how I did it fairly easily with Mechjeb and Flight Engineer -- but really all's you need is some way of determining orbital periods.

Satellite Design

In addition to basic requirements, each satellite needs a minimum of two dishes (to link with with the "previous" and "next" satellites in the orbit), a means of communicating with KSC or your existing network, and probably a means of communicating with other craft. My satellites have 4 dishes (pointed at: Previous Satellite, Next Satellite, Active Vessel, "future use") and two antennas (reaches KSC, really only need one)

Launcher/Deployment Vessel Design

I built a single craft that carries multiple satellites. Mine carried 6, but I only used 4. I made it manned, primarily so I can control it when on the wrong side of Kerbin in the process of getting the network set up.

Instructions

1. Choose target altitude "A". Calculate the following:

• "P" - Orbital period of circular orbit at this altitude
  • "n" - Number of satellites desired (minimum of 3, more if your network is for some reason low altitude.)
  • "t" - Orbital period divided by number of satellites. (P/n)

For the rest of this, I assume Kerbisynchronous orbit at A=853,206.67 km with an orbital period P=6 hours, n=4 satellites, and t=4.5 hours. Adjust if you use different numbers

2. Launch into an orbit with an apoapsis of "A". Adjust periapsis so your orbital period is either P-t (4.5 hours) or just "t" (1.5 hours; may not be possible in synchronous orbit)

3. Ensure all of your antennas are configured in such a way that your satellites will be able to reach KSC when they have line of sight to it. Have one dish per satellite pointed at "Active Vessel", at least for now.

4. While in range of KSC/your satellite network and on the "upward" (reached periapsis, en route to apoapsis) part of your orbit, undock/decouple your first satellite. Set the satellite to circularize at its next apoapsis. The satellite's orbital period should be "P" (6 hours) when you're done, you might use RCS to fine tune depending on how picky you are. It's not necessary to have a perfectly circular orbit, as long as it's relatively close and the orbital period is correct. Timewarp/etc until your first satellite is positioned correctly. Switch back to your launcher vessel.

5. By now, your launcher should either be nearing its apoapsis (or just passed it). On satellite #2, point a dish at satellite #1 before undocking, then repeat step 4. Satellite #2 should have an uplink to satellite #1 by the time it reaches Apoapsis, and due to the orbit timings it will be exactly 1.5 hours "behind" or 1.5 hours "ahead". If satellite #2 doesn't have LOS to #1, you either warped too many orbits or your target altitude is too low.

6. Repeat steps 4&5, always pointing one dish of the new satellite at the previous satellite to be deployed.

7. When your launch your final satellite, connect the additional dish back to the first one. You should have links that look like #1 <-> #2 <-> #3 <-> #4 <-> #1. Note if you're doing 4 satellites like I did, #1 and #3 will never have direct LOS to each other so there's no need to link them -- same for #2 and #4.

Notes

1. Kerbisynchronous orbit is not required, but is helpful. The drawback of not doing it will be that your first satellite won't have 100% LOS to Kerbal Space Center, so your subsequent satellites might lose uplink during the positioning process. If you're clever enough with timings or your launcher vessel can control (6 crew + whatever the special dish for it is), that is a nonissue.

2. If you don't want to fuss with Molniya orbits, you can do this exact same process with a polar orbit once your equatorial network is functional. The catch will be that -- while your polar network will always have LOS to your equatorial network, you can't determine which satellite in it they'll be able to reach, and they may not be able to reach KSC. Solving this is an exercise for the reader.

3. Other orbital periods for step 2 work as well, either P*x+t or P*x-t for any integer value "t" >= 0. The goal is that every orbit of the deployment vessel has it either "x" hours/etc either "behind" or "in front of" the last deployed satellite while at apoapsis.

4. You can also get away with swapping "apoapsis" and "periapsis" all of the above instructions. It takes more time to get set up, but works and is a must if you want something like... a communications network of satellites in say a 30km orbit

For a link to happen, both ends of the link must be within transmission range. It doesn't matter how much power your transmit with if your recipient is using a walkie-talkie.

A dish can't communicate with multiple sources at the same time IIRC (not sure for the "pointed at a celestial" case), so your deep space ship needs a second radio for the relay to whatever it's sending to. The second vessel only needs to be able to reach the spaceship though and does not need to independantly be able to reach all the way back.

You've overly complicated it dewin.

I use a simple 3-layer network.

First layer total Kerbin coverage network is easy enough with 3-5 sats parked at 742* km altitude with a 3 or 5 Mm Omni antenna equipped. I prefer 5 Mm because it improves comlinks with Keosats.

Second layer coverage is provided with Keosats. 3 are good enough, 4 provides redundancy. A five Mm Omni and a short range dish are all you need. Target the dish at the OCS explained next.

Layer three is the orbital command station** (as I call it) placed on a polar orbit half way between Mun and minmus. This station you can cover in all types of dishes for acting as a big relay hub Use a low power, wide angle dish and aim it at kerbin. It should ALWAYS hit all non-occluded (blocked) keosats with ease.

Technically, since KEO is at such a low altitude, the 5 Mm antennae means that the keosats can provide coverage to the entire surface and chain communicate. However, wonky orbit drift will cause long blackouts since keo orbit is so slow. The lower layer of sats at 742 km ensure that blackouts are short and ensure multiple redundant communications paths are always open. Even better, the OCS way up there in inter lunar polar orbit all but ensures zero blackouts because it is EXTREMELY difficult to occlude (block) from the commsat relay network.

*741 and some change km is the minimum calculated altitude to provide a radio horizon equal to kerbin's radius, giving you total hemisphere coverage. (This is the 'BEST' altitude for general commsats, as this keeps all the sats closer together in general, allowing you to use lower power comms, which translates into smaller power equipment, which means a lighter rocket, which means a smaller, less overly built rocket. Good if you're playing with a budget mod because now it's cheaper.)

**OCS requires a six-kerbal crew with a probe core to turn it into a 'mission control' platform.

If you want my PERSONAL configuration... Use the following. ALL orbits are precise, but spacing is ignored as it will never stick.

Layer 1: 742 km, equatorial. 6-9 satellites. 5 Mm comms.

Layer 2: Keostationary. 5 Sats, 5 Mm Omni with a dish.

Layer 3: 1/2 the way between Mun and Minmus. Polar Orbit. 1 Station, bristling with everything I can fit and the kitchen sink. (And a blender. Mmmm... Space Smoothies).

Network reliability = 100% uptime.

I know these guys talk about perfect geometry, but unless you're willing to crunch some (simple, to us) equations and thread beach balls through pin holes, just remember a few hard values and remember that redundancy beats out precision.

742 km. Lowest orbit one sat can see half the entire planet.

2,868 km. Keostationary. Altitude where orbit period is the same length as a kerbin day. Satellite 'stays above' the same spot on the planet.

5,500 m/s^2 This is the absolute maximum amount of delta-V you will need for just about any point in Kerbin orbit. Anything higher is overkill. And even this is overkill for most everything but placing the OCS. On the plus side, you have the burn time to make mistakes and correct them.

Edited by AdmiralTigerclaw

ksp 0.23, remotetech2 1.3.3

i'm not 100% sure if remotetech is to blame, but here goes.

Getting randomly NullReferenceException in debug log, when switching "switch to" diffrent vessel in map. (and can't control vessels anymore, need to quit ksp and restart -> resume)

ksp.log shows

[EXC 04:07:14.511] ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Argument is out of range.

Parameter name: index

and output_log.txt:

[HighLogic]: =========================== Scene Change : From FLIGHT to FLIGHT =====================

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/ea95e74f6e5f192d/Runtime/ExportGenerated/StandalonePlayer/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 54)

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/ea95e74f6e5f192d/Runtime/ExportGenerated/StandalonePlayer/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 54)

RemoteTech: SatelliteManager: OnVesselDestroy(56ce12f7-a99a-448f-94ea-60021422d2ab, Commusat1_4 Probe)

RemoteTech: SatelliteManager: UnregisterProto(56ce12f7-a99a-448f-94ea-60021422d2ab)

RemoteTech: SatelliteManager: OnUnregister(VesselSatellite(Commusat1_4 Probe, 56ce12f7-a99a-448f-94ea-60021422d2ab))

RemoteTech: NetworkManager: SatelliteUnregister(VesselSatellite(Commusat1_4 Probe, 56ce12f7-a99a-448f-94ea-60021422d2ab))

ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Argument is out of range.

Parameter name: index

at System.Collections.Generic.List`1[RemoteTech.ISignalProcessor].get_Item (Int32 index) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at RemoteTech.VesselSatellite.<get_SignalProcessor>b__4 () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at RemoteTech.RTUtil.CachePerFrame[iSignalProcessor] (RemoteTech.CachedField`1& cachedField, System.Func`1 getter) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at RemoteTech.VesselSatellite.get_SignalProcessor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at RemoteTech.VesselSatellite.get_Guid () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at RemoteTech.VesselSatellite.GetHashCode () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at RemoteTech.BidirectionalEdge`1[RemoteTech.ISatellite].GetHashCode () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.Collections.Generic.GenericEqualityComparer`1[RemoteTech.BidirectionalEdge`1[RemoteTech.ISatellite]].GetHashCode (RemoteTech.BidirectionalEdge`1 obj) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.Collections.Generic.HashSet`1[RemoteTech.BidirectionalEdge`1[RemoteTech.ISatellite]].GetItemHashCode (RemoteTech.BidirectionalEdge`1 item) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.Collections.Generic.HashSet`1[RemoteTech.BidirectionalEdge`1[RemoteTech.ISatellite]].Remove (RemoteTech.BidirectionalEdge`1 item) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.Collections.Generic.HashSet`1[RemoteTech.BidirectionalEdge`1[RemoteTech.ISatellite]].RemoveWhere (System.Predicate`1 predicate) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at RemoteTech.NetworkRenderer.OnSatelliteUnregister (ISatellite s) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at (wrapper delegate-invoke) System.Action`1<RemoteTech.VesselSatellite>:invoke_void__this___VesselSatellite (RemoteTech.VesselSatellite)

at (wrapper delegate-invoke) System.Action`1<RemoteTech.VesselSatellite>:invoke_void__this___VesselSatellite (RemoteTech.VesselSatellite)

at RemoteTech.SatelliteManager.UnregisterProto (Guid key) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at RemoteTech.SatelliteManager.OnVesselDestroy (.Vessel v) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at EventData`1[Vessel].Fire (.Vessel data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Vessel.OnDestroy () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

[PlanetariumCamera]: Focus: Mun

and that seems to lead for alot of "NullReferenceException" errors in debug log.

Yeah, it's a known issue with 0.23, but unfortunately I'm too busy to do anything about it right now.

Thanks for confirming the possible cause.

We can't expect people to NOT have a life outside.

But this already helps, me at least it tells me to stop looking for a possible cause.

This problem only occurred with payload probes. Not fully independent probes.

After launching a manned mission with a probe core payload, the probe core refuses to execute MechJeb commands correctly when separated. Time warp works correctly but throttle and attitude (orientation) do not. The gyros begin jittering all over the place in small oscillations, never finding the correct maneuver orientation.

[...]

I have a gamesave if necessary.

I experienced a similar issue (probe payload attitude & throttle uncontrollable upon separation) which I was able to resolve by right-clicking the probe core and selecting "control from here" -- give that a shot, but YMMV.

U3aoJ0j.png

Can anyone explain why in the above image I clearly have a connection between my Com Satellite orbiting the Mun and all my other vessels, but when I switch to the satellite vessel orbiting in LKO in this second image, I lose connection for control but still have a link to the ComSat around the Mun? I have found that if I have a direct link to KSC with the ComSat around the Mun, then I regain control, but why is the ComSat not working as a link between the other comsats around Kerbin w/o a direct KSC link?

oGiOvC3.png

*Edit* Here is a pic showing that when there is a direct link to KSC the connection works again.

jlpzR1N.png

Hopefully I explained that correctly. Thank you for any help you may have.

Edited by mspores

Is it possible to have RemoteTech active for specific save games only, or if not, to deactivate it on demand?

If not, this would be great!!! It would be nice to be able to have one "save game" that uses RemoteTech, and when I'm not in the mood to fool with it, or to simply have some fun with simple ships, to be able to de-activate it for "sandbox" mode.

TB

Could one of your comsats be targeting 'Active Vessel'? That would cause connections to be lost when you switch vessels.

They all have active/direct connections (but I'll go double-check just to make sure). The only time I have issues is when trying to use the MunCom as a relay (which is the whole reason I put it there).