Now-defunct-thread-that-should-not-appear-in-google-search.

Cilph

whenever i'm controlling any secondary craft the relay one won't connect, but when i switch to it, it does

Well somehow i missed this, i guess its (too) late.

Are you sure the dishes on your sats are not set to target "active vessel"?

and now my ships have displaced themselves in their orbits.....because the two around the mun should be directly opposite each other, i spent an hour doing it. and my KSOs are now not aligned with KSC...great...

Edited by Mykill Metal

This is a similar situation in a game of mine....

hLKaMPz.png

The yellow lines are dish connections. The grey lines are omni conns. The thin grey lines are cone borders.

You can see the "seeker III" targeting Kerbin from Mun orbit and getting dish conn from Kerbin sats. You can also see the cone of its dish and you can see antoher cone hitting Kerbin from Eve.

So from your screenshot we can see that all your sats are using dish conns. You have 0 omni connections. And we dont see any cones. This means all your sat are targeted directly. Which is ok. But i highly suspect you have some dishes set to target "active vessel" instead of satellites orbiting the Mun.

Again, are you sure the dishes on your Kerbin satellites are not set to target active vessel? The behaviour you mention (getting connection only when you switch to satellite) seems to indicate this.

I really dont mean to sound condesending but i have to make sure this is not the case... The following ss shows the targeting interface with a dish set to target a ship around Gilly(its greyed out). You should set some dishes on Kerbin sats to target sats around the Mun like this and vice versa and make sure they arent set to target "active vessel".

ooL04il.png

If they are all properly targeted you will have to wait for Cliph to look at your case and then, probably, do a bug report on Github.

Edited by Vrana

and now my ships have displaced themselves in their orbits.....because the two around the mun should be directly opposite each other, i spent an hour doing it. and my KSOs are now not aligned with KSC...great...

Did you timewarp? If you did and they were not perfectly aligned (extacly the same orbital period down to a second) they will drift. This has nothing to do with RT.

all of my satellites have an extra dish set to active vessel and the rest are pointed at sats none at planets, and trust me i used mechjeb and spent a lot of time making sure they were as close as physically possible in orbital periods KSOs especially. And i didn't timewarp more than 2hr gametime

If we have signal delay turned off in the configs, does the flight computer refuse to accept commands with a time delay? I'm trying to set up a delayed burn around eve, when I have no signal, and no matter what I do, the computer just starts the burn immediately, or am I a idiot and doing something wrong?

EDIT: I was being an idiot. Figured it out.

Edited by vardicd

all of my satellites have an extra dish set to active vessel and the rest are pointed at sats none at planets, and trust me i used mechjeb and spent a lot of time making sure they were as close as physically possible in orbital periods KSOs especially. And i didn't timewarp more than 2hr gametime

Could we get shots of your dish targeting setup on the KSO and Munar relays? Since based on the current information, the most likely explanation is that the dishes aren't pointing at the satellites they need to be pointing at, be it by accident or error.

Is there a explanation anywhere in this thread on the flight computer controls?

Yes there were a couple, some pages back.

do you mean physically pointed? or just targeted... they are all targeting the correct satellites it's just not connecting when it should

Targeted. As has been stated, physically pointing them isn't necessary. However if everything is correctly targeted with the correct satellites, it should work. Hence the assumption that despite your assurances of everything being as it should be, something might not be, since mistakes do happen to the best of us. Or you could have found a bug, at which point you should do a bug report to github. :)

Incase you're unsure of what I meant by shots of your dish targeting setup, I meant these type of windows, openable via the rightmost button in the lower right corner in map view or tracking station:

http://imgur.com/X7zgH8h

Edited by Sacred Aardvark

Im guessing bug, I just checked again and they are all definitely pointing at the right targets.

Mykill read the first post post in this thread, you will find this ("When targeting a planet, the dish will look for a target anywhere in a cone towards that planet. How wide this cone can be is a property of the dish.") So what you should do, is spend a dish from satelites in kerbin, pointing at the mun, and a few in the mun pointing back at kerbin, try this maybe it will help..

i don't have any pointed at planets or the mun (cone thing)...they all have targets (auto-pointed at selected satellite), which is better

Except it's worse, at least in my opinion, since you'll need a dish for every satellite or have to swap dish targets around in order to maintain communications. For example a network of 3 KSO + 3 munar will each need at least 3 dishes and one omni(or 2 more dishes) just to maintain connection to each other. That's 3 dishes per satellite to connect from KSO to the 3 munar satellites and and omni or 2 dishes to communicate with the other two KSO's. Whereas using a dish with a suitable cone, you'll need one dish and one omni (or two more dishes) per satellite to make the network.

Anyway, direct vs cone is a preference thing in the end, more dishes just means more rtg/solars and thus more fuel to lift up, but it shouldn't affect your situation afaik unless their targeting is mucked up, and since you're absolutely sure everything is targeting the right targets, all I can suggest at this point is to make the bug report and hope Cilph has time to fix it sometime in the near future. :)

i don't have any pointed at planets or the mun (cone thing)...they all have targets (auto-pointed at selected satellite), which is better

?????

They are all targeted at "active vessel"?

If so, that is your mistake. Doing this would prevent any dish-based network beyond a single relay. Put ONE small dish and ONE omni on each sat. Point it at either Mun or Kerbin. The omnis will do the rest.

Except it's worse, at least in my opinion, since you'll need a dish for every satellite or have to swap dish targets around in order to maintain communications. For example a network of 3 KSO + 3 munar will each need at least 3 dishes and one omni(or 2 more dishes) just to maintain connection to each other. That's 3 dishes per satellite to connect from KSO to the 3 munar satellites and and omni or 2 dishes to communicate with the other two KSO's. Whereas using a dish with a suitable cone, you'll need one dish and one omni (or two more dishes) per satellite to make the network.

I haven't started my network, although i have tried it, i haven't started due the fact i am using the career and i need a bit of science to get there, assuming i wanna have a good network, my thought is, to have 3 satelites in KSO orbit, they will have 4 dishes, and one antenna, 2 dishes to point at the other two satelites in kso orbit, one to point at mission control, and the fourth one, to point at the mun, getting the signal from the satelite. And the two satelites in the moon, with 3 dishes, or more idk yet, and one antenna, 1 to point at each other in the moon, another to point back at the kerbin, and leave the auto target system work.

I haven't started my network, although i have tried it, i haven't started due the fact i am using the career and i need a bit of science to get there, assuming i wanna have a good network, my thought is, to have 3 satelites in KSO orbit, they will have 4 dishes, and one antenna, 2 dishes to point at the other two satelites in kso orbit, one to point at mission control, and the fourth one, to point at the mun, getting the signal from the satelite. And the two satelites in the moon, with 3 dishes, or more idk yet, and one antenna, 1 to point at each other in the moon, another to point back at the kerbin, and leave the auto target system work.

I've got 8 medium dishes, 5 small dishes, omnidirectional antennas (communitron 32s), and alot of solar on each of my relays. I've got 8 relays up right now, with a medium dish to each of the 4 inner planets, and one to active vessel. One small dish to Minmus, one to Mun, one to Kerbin. I still don't think I've got enough coverage.

Thinking through your network in my head it seems alright. Though based on my experience, put few more dishes on your satellites than you expect to be needing, you'll probably get use for them eventually. My first KSO's was a pair of satellites with 4 dishes and an omni, they've since got a pair of friends with 8 dishes and an omni, but when I start expanding my network onto other planets I'll probably need to launch one more pair of KSO's to act as a relay for the additional long range comms satellites. :rolleyes:

I've had a ton of crashes using multiple cones and multiple Active craft satellites, but it seems to be KAS in most cases. Not entirely sure. This is when I have a craft that needs to point at Kerbin to pick up any of the many satellites it could reach that can reach it. Going one on one, craft to craft targeting, seems to work best for me when it comes to the active craft. Cones work fine when physics is off. Trying to cone a distant planet with my active craft? Usually hangs up KSP.

I'm trying to get my satellite network going, but the relays don't seem to be working. I have two satellites in geo-Kerbin orbit and was trying to place a third when I ran into problems. The third was supposed to use the second satellite as a relay, but it never picked up ts connection. It could relay from the first satellite to mission control, but it couldn't make two jumps.

My first satellite has two dishes, and its in geo-Kerbin orbit relatively over KSP. Its first dish is pointed towards mission control, its second is pointed towards the Active Vessel.

Satellite #2 has two dishes as well, the first of which is connected to the first satellite. The second is pointed at the active vessel. When I'm switched to this satellite, I clearly see the relay between this satellite and the first satellite holding strong.

However I can't get my third satellite or any normal vehicles to connect to the second satellite's relay. Am I doing something wrong?