Now-defunct-thread-that-should-not-appear-in-google-search.

Cilph

Could not find a build of this from jdmj, so downloaded Cilph's last master version and made the change and built it. Passed my test case (deploy satelites from probe core --> exit physics range).

Looks to fix the map/return to space center crashes.

Fixed 1.3.3 DLL (used jdmj suggested change):

http://www./download/nr641y4ng8vou9o/RemoteTech2_2014.01.08.16.38.zip

This stops the stuff from freaking out while in orbit (toggling between satellites deployed via a common launcher both with the bracket keys and the map view), but after returning the launcher and retrieving it the space center disappeared.

I know you're not the dev so I'll post this on the issue tracker as well, but here's my ksp.log and output_log.txt.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6121926/kerbal/KSP.log

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6121926/kerbal/output_log.txt

EDIT:

Nevermind, reloaded Kerbal and the behavior is just as bad as it was before. Here are the fresh files

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6121926/kerbal/KSP_2.log

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6121926/kerbal/output_log_2.txt

Edited by TomatoSoup

This stops the stuff from freaking out while in orbit (toggling between satellites deployed via a common launcher both with the bracket keys and the map view), but after returning the launcher and retrieving it the space center disappeared.

I know you're not the dev so I'll post this on the issue tracker as well, but here's my ksp.log and output_log.txt.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6121926/kerbal/KSP.log

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6121926/kerbal/output_log.txt

EDIT:

Nevermind, reloaded Kerbal and the behavior is just as bad as it was before. Here are the fresh files

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6121926/kerbal/KSP_2.log

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6121926/kerbal/output_log_2.txt

My first time looking at KSP logs. Everything is throwing exceptions... what a mess.

What were your steps to crash? What type of craft and steps to reproduce?.

Also looks like you have 3 module manager DLLs in your gamedata? Try removing all but the latest?

Me again with a bran new problem..

I've been trying to put up a new first network around Kerbin now that I fixed the previous problem, but after I get the third satellite up, and it goes out of contact with the other two satellites, instead of simply disconnecting, the lines on the map that would normally point between the satellites just float there, as if they're their own sprite, separate from the rest of the entities.. When I circle back around and it should connect, it simply doesn't. So I switch to a nearby vessel and I'm met with this screen

Replace your RemoteTech .dll with this one:

http://epsilonzero.nl/downloads/RemoteTech2_2013.12.18.21.39.zip

Should help, had exactly same problem, this version solved it.

And like Peppe wrote above: Delete every other Module Manager than 1_5_6! You need only this one version. It has check on startup so it wont load other if it detects older ones, but still, only the recent one is required.

Also, there is post on GitHub that targets deleting RT config file as one of possible workarounds. I did it and infact after using fresh one game did not bugged out. It did however after generating config file and repeating same situation with quickload. Take it into consideration while in testing enviroments.

Edited by koksny

My first time looking at KSP logs. Everything is throwing exceptions... what a mess.

Also looks like you have 3 module manager DLLs in your gamedata? Try removing all but the latest?

So this is the upper stage of my deployer. http://i.imgur.com/aCys1mc.png

Burn out to semi-synchronus altitude, deploy antenna and solars, pop a satellite off at apoapsis, rename it, circularize it, let the main carrier make a orbit to get ahead of that one, rinse and repeat. So at each step I used brackets to switch to the freshly deployed satellite and map view to swap back to the carrier. This went perfect until I returned to kerbin. Upon landing and recovering the craft, empty space center. Close kerbal, copy out the first two log files.

Reload kerbal, clear out the duplicate craft, go to fly two that were still in orbit next to each other. They pass through physics loading range, I check map, the connection lines are stuck. I switch to another satellite and the speedometer says 0, altimeter says 0, navball is locked to 0, but the camera is rendering from high above kerbin. Go back to space center, it's missing. Click where the tracking station is, enter it, only the last satellite I was on is in the list. Close kerbal, copy out the second two log files.

I'm now trying madadam's most recent .dll from the github.

Replace your RemoteTech .dll with this one:

http://epsilonzero.nl/downloads/RemoteTech2_2013.12.18.21.39.zip

Should help, had exactly same problem, this version solved it.

And like Peppe wrote above: Delete every other Module Manager than 1_5_6! You need only this one version. It has check on startup so it wont load other if it detects older ones, but still, only the recent one is required.

Also, there is post on GitHub that targets deleting RT config file as one of possible workarounds. I did it and infact after using fresh one game did not bugged out. It did however after generating config file and repeating same situation with quickload. Take it into consideration while in testing enviroments.

It seems to work for the time being.. Though, I'm not sure if it's part of this bug, or the result of my constant reinstallation of mods and plugins to fix this, but sometimes when I reload, one of my satellites disassembles itself into a few dozen pieces for fun lol

As peppe said u have 3 module manager.dll as u can see

[ModuleManager] version 1.5.6.0 at E:\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\ModuleManager_1_5_6.dll won the election against

Version 1.5.0.0 E:\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\ModuleManager_1_5.dll

Version 1.5.5.0 E:\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\ModuleManager_1_5_5.dll

and have seen some where that Kethane will lock on to a error and just spam it will try and find the post about it.

Edited by Mecripp2

It seems to work for the time being.. Though, I'm not sure if it's part of this bug, or the result of my constant reinstallation of mods and plugins to fix this, but sometimes when I reload, one of my satellites disassembles itself into a few dozen pieces for fun lol

It happens because last version of RT duped your satelites in save file, now they are physically in exactly same place, and when you load your game - they crash into each other.

Just find satelites that have the same name/launch time and delete duplicates before loading craft, it will "fix" save file.

@tomatosoup, You sure you replaced your original DLL with the one I posted. Sounds exactly like the error I had before making the DLL.

If you hit alt f2 when do you start getting errors?

@tomatosoup, You sure you replaced your original DLL with the one I posted. Sounds exactly like the error I had before making the DLL.

If you hit alt f2 when do you start getting errors?

I'm fairly sure that I replaced the DLL, but I'll try again, also deleting the settings file. I've also resolved the multiple module manager situation. I will report back soon enough. Also, I never hit alt f2, do you mean alt f12?

Edited by TomatoSoup

I'm fairly sure that I replaced the DLL, but I'll try again, also deleting the settings file. I've also resolved the multiple module manager situation. I will report back soon enough.

Also, I never hit alt f2, do you mean alt f12?

Alt f2 shows a chunk of the output log in game. Red things in it are bad.

You can hit f2 again to bring back the interface.

Well, I got the same symptoms of the stuck connection display and the missing space center. Managed to deploy 2 satellites the way I described earlier with no problems, though. Got the typical error spam when I decoupled a probe and timewarped with it (that is, I didn't move it away from the carrier, which still had an active probe coupled to it). I suppose it started just as it went out of phys range (of the carrier) while timewarping. Odd that didn't happen earlier when just flying the probes away.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6121926/kerbal/KSP_4.log

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6121926/kerbal/output_log_4.txt

Edited by TomatoSoup

Yes. I have had this problem and I launched my satellites on independent vehicles.

Same here, independent launches and I get duplicated satellites very frequently. For some reason the duplicates are always listed at the top of my tracking centre list. In other words, the duplicated craft have mission elapsed times from before my first launch in the new game. I can just delete duplicates in the tracking centre, however, KSP is behaving pretty unstable with all the problems reported by Cobbertson (last page of forum earlier today) going on for me too.

Excuse me, but isn't Remo...2.18.21.39.zip the version that caused an instant crash to desktop if you pressed any of the buttons in map view?

Works fine for me

OK. I will re-install it and try it again I guess... lol.

I also have another problem which I believe others have discussed before with regards to comms losses after undocking. I have traced this to what looks to me like as follows...

Mission control -> omni -> omni -> dish -> dish = no problem.

Mission control -> dish -> dish -> omni -> omni = no connection.

After your connection path enters a dish to dish connection then it will not continue after that along an omni to omni connection. The other way around works OK. This effect breaks, just for example, Apollo style missions where you have say a "CSM" craft with a long range dish and an omni antenna left in orbit. You cannot then establish a comms link via omni with your lander "LEM" craft's antenna. So signal loss happens as soon as your two craft undock.

Edit: Re-downloaded and tested version RT2_2013.12.18.21.39 and yes it causes for me an instant KSP close to desktop if you press any of the buttons in map view (Linux only issue perhaps?). It also exhibits the same no connection on omni after your signal path goes through any dish to dish link.

Edited by Kaa253

Mission control -> omni -> omni -> dish -> dish = no problem.

Mission control -> dish -> dish -> omni -> omni = no connection.

Edit: Re-downloaded and tested version RT2_2013.12.18.21.39 and yes it causes for me an instant KSP close to desktop if you press any of the buttons in map view (Linux only issue perhaps?).

Do you mean press any keyboard keys or click any RT2 icons? Because if its the former, then it must be a Linux only issue.

Also, how are you setting them up? Are you explicitly pointing them at each other or are you using options like Active Vessel or targeting a body?

I mean to say if I click any of the first 3 RT2 icons in the bottom right corner of the map view.

It is the same problem as reported for RT2_2013.12.18.21.39 before... http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/56399-0-23-RemoteTech-2-v1-3-3-Late-Christmas-Edition?p=854663&viewfull=1#post854663 in "UPDATE 2".

I am very sorry, I don't wish to complain because RT is an AWESOME and ESSENTIAL KSP mod and I appreciate the work being done by Cliph and others very very much. I am happy to wait patiently, everything is in alpha/beta/experimental phase and it's all understood and cool :)

Oh... I am probably using some active vessel links I can and will do a test of all explicit pointing

Curious if anyone else was crashing on the DLL (1.3.3 fix) i put out:

Just got back and trying everywhere I can to crash/break things and get crash it on my system using my old test craft. So far i have not crashed with it.

edit:

Here is new build (madadam+JDMJ fixes) 1.3.3 fixpack 2:

RemoteTech2_2014.01.08.22.30.zip

Edited by Peppe

Curious if anyone else was crashing on the DLL i put out:

RemoteTech2_2014.01.08.16.38.zip

Just got back and trying everywhere I can to crash/break things and get crash it on my system using my old test craft. So far i have not crashed with it.

Still updating my local KSP since I got back from holiday, I'll give it a try after I get everything updated.

Curious if anyone else was crashing on the DLL (1.3.3 fix) i put out:

RemoteTech2_2014.01.08.16.38.zip

So despite all the other issues I have (vessel duplication, space center disappearing, and so forth), I'm not crashing when clicking any of the RT2 buttons at the bottom right. But in addition to this, I just tested again to see if I could get it to freak out and I got it to work perfect (no errors in Alt+F2) until I quickloaded and it lost its marbles.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6121926/kerbal/output_log_5.txt

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6121926/kerbal/KSP_5.log

Edited by TomatoSoup

@TomatoSoup: Sorry! I rechecked all my dish links all along the comms path. The dish on my "DS 1" KeoSat was pointing using the active vessel method. When I changed this to explicitly target the dish on my distant Duna orbiter then the omni link from there to the lander on Duna's surface (far side from Kerbin) connected back to mission control. Sorry, the fault was in my head (duh!) and not with RT2. I understand the "danger" of using active vessel method much better now. Thanks heaps for all your help. I know there is a call-out on the first page of this thread for documentation for RT2, perhaps I could write a clear explanation of how this works now? :blinks stupidly and scratches head again:

@Peppe: I was using the DLL from RT2 version 2013.12.18.21.39 and getting the crash to desktop on clicking the map buttons. I have switched to version 2014.01.08.16.38 and so far everything looks to be good! A bit confusing having version "38" being apparently an update on "39"? I should pay full attention to the date. I will now keep play testing and look out for any signs of the bugs that were in the late Xmas edition. Hopefully I won't see them. Thanks!

@TomatoSoup: Sorry! I rechecked all my dish links all along the comms path. The dish on my "DS 1" KeoSat was pointing using the active vessel method. When I changed this to explicitly target the dish on my distant Duna orbiter then the omni link from there to the lander on Duna's surface (far side from Kerbin) connected back to mission control. Sorry, the fault was in my head (duh!) and not with RT2. I understand the "danger" of using active vessel method much better now. Thanks heaps for all your help. I know there is a call-out on the first page of this thread for documentation for RT2, perhaps I could write a clear explanation of how this works now? :blinks stupidly and scratches head again:

@Peppe: I was using the DLL from RT2 version 2013.12.18.21.39 and getting the crash to desktop on clicking the map buttons. I have switched to version 2014.01.08.16.38 and so far everything looks to be good! A bit confusing having version "38" being apparently an update on "39"? I should pay full attention to the date. I will now keep play testing and look out for any signs of the bugs that were in the late Xmas edition. Hopefully I won't see them. Thanks!

Cilph default build generates a zip with the build time in the name, so just uploaded it as is.

I am reading through madadam's quick fix on github as well. Doing a local build with his change and JDMJ's. Jd's seemed to fix the leaving physics range issue. I think madadam's will fix docking/decoupling quirkiness and may address the quick load tomato has? Not sure I don't quick load often.

Tomato can you recreate your issue(s) in a new save. Wondering if maybe something is already bad in your save? You seem to have the magic touch to blow things up :P

Edit:

Only errors i got were from other mods, so i think this has a good chance...

Edited by Peppe

Cilph default build generates a zip with the build time in the name, so just uploaded it as is.

I am reading through madadam's quick fix on github as well. Doing a local build with his change and JDMJ's. Jd's seemed to fix the leaving physics range issue. I think madadam's will fix docking/decoupling quirkiness and may address the quick load tomato has? Not sure I don't quick load often.

Tomato can you recreate your issue(s) in a new save. Wondering if maybe something is already bad in your save? You seem to have the magic touch to blow things up :P

Edit:

Only errors i got were from other mods, so i think this has a good chance...

Yeah, I've gotta confess that I haven't been making new saves. Just kept loading the same career save. But I nuked the remotetech_settings.cfg file and loaded madadam's fixes and it seems to work great now! Despite some AMAZING issues I had with it earlier (the total chronicles of which I listed on the github with so many pictures imgur stopped accepting my uploads for a bit. I'll grab your newest version and call it a day and just deal with any shenanigans I encounter until Cilph declares the best fix.

Thanks very much for all of your help! On the plus side of all these shenanigans, I finally found a reason to get Visual Studio installed (with the intent of rolling their fixes into my own .dll) but you went right ahead and did the work for me!

So I'm pretty sure this has already been mentioned many times before (but I really don't want to filter through 2000 posts!), but please bear with me; is there another way to connect two dishes without having to manually switch from one vehicle to the other and point them at each other? There might be antennae that go out farther but at earlier stages of the game when you're stuck with lower range equipment I find myself having to switch constantly every time I want to do another mission. This is very tedious >:

Is there some sort of technique I'm missing out on? Cheers.

So I'm pretty sure this has already been mentioned many times before (but I really don't want to filter through 2000 posts!), but please bear with me; is there another way to connect two dishes without having to manually switch from one vehicle to the other and point them at each other? There might be antennae that go out farther but at earlier stages of the game when you're stuck with lower range equipment I find myself having to switch constantly every time I want to do another mission. This is very tedious >:

Is there some sort of technique I'm missing out on? Cheers.

Yes, the third button to the right of the screen (the ones that show ship info and planet info) have a satellite icon. When you press it you can select different sats and it focuses on them without loading it. Then you should be able to use the bottom right button as usual, though it never worked for me. It's visible here.

Edited by AndreyATGB

Yeah I've been going through all the issues around the thread and apparently the focusing thing really bugs out, even with those replacement .dll files people have been handing around. I think I might wait until it's fully fixed first.