[1.1.3] AntennaRange 1.11.4 - Enforce and Encourage Antenna Diversity

toadicus

My animation was slowed when I turned on the probe comms dependancy option from the spaceport screen. When I turned it off, the problem went away. Also, I hadn't noticed the issue in the Kerbin system, only once I got far away from home (Duna as it happens). Thx for the mod! :)

My animation was slowed when I turned on the probe comms dependancy option from the spaceport screen. When I turned it off, the problem went away. Also, I hadn't noticed the issue in the Kerbin system, only once I got far away from home (Duna as it happens). Thx for the mod! :)

Does it consistently recur when you turn probe dependency back on? Because, honestly, turning the probe comms dependency on does almost nothing to the otherall functionality of the mod. The mod checks for connection every few seconds anyway when there's an icon to draw; all the probe comms dependency does is lock the controls when that check fails. Is it just your antenna animation, or does KSP slow down in general?

Does it consistently recur when you turn probe dependency back on? Because, honestly, turning the probe comms dependency on does almost nothing to the otherall functionality of the mod. The mod checks for connection every few seconds anyway when there's an icon to draw; all the probe comms dependency does is lock the controls when that check fails. Is it just your antenna animation, or does KSP slow down in general?

I will check on that. Going back to Duna soon. :)

Probe dependency on (LoS and transmission): physical timewarp speeds up animation, rails timewarp has no visible effect. FRAPS recorded a steady 35-40 FPS during the entire video.

Relevant output log from this - there's a few errors from Engineer so ignore those but otherwise, there's nothing that seems to affect antenna animation.. hmm...

Probe dependency on (LoS and transmission): physical timewarp speeds up animation, rails timewarp has no visible effect. FRAPS recorded a steady 35-40 FPS during the entire video.

Relevant output log from this - there's a few errors from Engineer so ignore those but otherwise, there's nothing that seems to affect antenna animation.. hmm...

So I'm pretty sure the relevant lines in that log are specificaly the "Setting FX Modules to [01]". That's Squad's antenna module manipulating the animation directly, IIRC. When I get a chance, I'll fire up my über logging and see if AntennaRange is doing anything in between "Settings FX Modules..." and "FX Module set"... but again, I'm pretty sure that I don't actually have anything to do with it. I just call ModuleDataTransmitter.TransmitData() and let it do its thing.

That said, I'm vacationing for a few days: starting this Saturday, I'll be out of contact until Wednesday, so there'll be no support during that period. :)

Regarding animation bug, I have had it return once or twice now having changed no settings. As far as I can tell it has nothing to do with AR settings and just sorta comes and goes with no effect other than slowed animation and thus, delayed transmission.

Enjoy your vacation. :)

Having trouble, I'd like some help.

I landed a rover on the Mun for a contract. Its delivery module/ground station has a Comms 88 and a good connection to Kerbin (

lWixelX.png
). But the actual rover, with a Comms 16 that is parked right next to it has no connection (
XOAiE3b.png
).

As per the OP, "if your ship has a short range antenna, but is in range of a longer range antenna that can communicate back to Kerbin, it will do so", but this doesn't appear to be happening. Any ideas/thoughts/suggestions? This is the second time I've done this contract thanks to me forgetting the actual part the first time round, I'm not really in the mood to repeat it a third time..

Is there a config for SXT?

I haven't written configs for any non-stock parts, and AFAIK only MeCripp has published any others: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php?p=1157251#post1157251

If SXT isn't in there, you'd probably need to build one yourself. If you do, be sure to share! :)

Having trouble, I'd like some help.

I landed a rover on the Mun for a contract. Its delivery module/ground station has a Comms 88 and a good connection to Kerbin (

http://i.imgur.com/lWixelX.png
). But the actual rover, with a Comms 16 that is parked right next to it has no connection (
http://i.imgur.com/XOAiE3b.png
).

As per the OP, "if your ship has a short range antenna, but is in range of a longer range antenna that can communicate back to Kerbin, it will do so", but this doesn't appear to be happening. Any ideas/thoughts/suggestions? This is the second time I've done this contract thanks to me forgetting the actual part the first time round, I'm not really in the mood to repeat it a third time..

Is there anything interesting in the log when you're switched to the other vessel? Does it change at all if you change the LOS fudge factor? Does the 16 on the rover say anything like "blocked by the Mun" in its context tip? I'll try to duplicate, but we'll get there faster if you've got more info. :)

Is there anything interesting in the log when you're switched to the other vessel? Does it change at all if you change the LOS fudge factor? Does the 16 on the rover say anything like "blocked by the Mun" in its context tip? I'll try to duplicate, but we'll get there faster if you've got more info. :)

Ok, so I tried again. These are my findings (still not working):

Before decoupling, Comms 16 is out of range. Expected, since it's the Mun and I have an in-range antenna onboard. No screenshot, but that's what it says in the right click GUI. Anyway, this is the state of affairs before decoupling. I decouple and loads of things are activated, nothing in the logs to do with AR though. I switch back to the fairing base and, although I have a connection, I can't retract the antenna or transmit data etc. Also, it should be noted that I can't deactivate the engines etc - in short, it's acting as though I have no connection when I clearly should have (sorry for dark pic, but its the Poles and that's Kerbin on the horizon. Pic taken before settling and decoupling)

Few things - vessel root was the probe core on the rover, perhaps AR is assuming active vessel = one with root part or something? Nothing in the log said anything about AR (snippet of log from when the transfer stage has Munrover on a suborbital trajectory, has been decoupled and has crashed into the Mun)

I believe AR is carrying on the characteristics of the original root part (no connection) to all decoupled modules (like the ground station). If needed, I'll try and replicate in stock but it should be easily reproducible.

Thanks and I hope you enjoyed your holiday! :)

Ok, so I tried again. These are my findings (still not working):

Before decoupling, Comms 16 is out of range. Expected, since it's the Mun and I have an in-range antenna onboard. No screenshot, but that's what it says in the right click GUI. Anyway, this is the state of affairs before decoupling. I decouple and loads of things are activated, nothing in the logs to do with AR though. I switch back to the fairing base and, although I have a connection, I can't retract the antenna or transmit data etc. Also, it should be noted that I can't deactivate the engines etc - in short, it's acting as though I have no connection when I clearly should have (sorry for dark pic, but its the Poles and that's Kerbin on the horizon. Pic taken before settling and decoupling)

Few things - vessel root was the probe core on the rover, perhaps AR is assuming active vessel = one with root part or something? Nothing in the log said anything about AR (snippet of log from when the transfer stage has Munrover on a suborbital trajectory, has been decoupled and has crashed into the Mun)

I believe AR is carrying on the characteristics of the original root part (no connection) to all decoupled modules (like the ground station). If needed, I'll try and replicate in stock but it should be easily reproducible.

Thanks and I hope you enjoyed your holiday! :)

Any chance the ground station was flagged as Debris? AntennaRange ignores vessels flagged as debris to keep performance up on late saves with bad cases of Kessler syndrome. From the log, which called what I believe to be your ground station "Munrover Debris", I'm guessing it is flagged as debris. Change the vessel type to "base" or "rover" or "probe" or "anything but debris" and you should get a connection through it. :)

I don't know if this is a known phenomenon but after I uninstalled AntennaRange, all the vessels that hat antennas installed with the mod installed now weren't able to transmit any science any more. There was just a message like "No Transmitter on board" (or something like it) displayed.

After I reinstalled AntennaRange everything went back to normal.

I don't know if this is a known phenomenon but after I uninstalled AntennaRange, all the vessels that hat antennas installed with the mod installed now weren't able to transmit any science any more. There was just a message like "No Transmitter on board" (or something like it) displayed.

After I reinstalled AntennaRange everything went back to normal.

I would bet money that's to do with KSP's new PartLoader system. AntennaRange replaces Squad's ModuleDataTransmitter on all of the stock antennas (and any others you have patches for, e.g. MeCripp's patch pack), so in your .craft files and save game files, all of your antennas are saved with AntennaRange's ModuleLimitedDataTransmitter in lieu of Squad's ModuleDataTransmitter. Previously, KSP's default behaviour would clone the prefab part and then try to load from persistence, so when you removed mods you'd always get Squad's modules back. That doesn't seem to happen anymore; if there's nothing in persistence, Squad doesn't load a module for it at all. This seems like a major regression but at this point it's not one I can do anything about.

So, my advice at this point is:

• If you're "just trying out" a mod, do it in another KSP installation dedicated to sandboxing and testing.
  • If that's untenable for whatever reason, always back up your saves before installing a mod, so that you can revert to your previously-healthy save if you decide not to use a mod.
  • As a very last resort, scavenge your broken save files and revert changes from mod patches manually. In this case, remove all MODULE { name = ModuleLimitedDataTransmitter // ... } blocks and replace them with MODULE { name = ModuleDataTransmitter } blocks.

None of this should be necessary, and it's a big burden on mod users and developers alike. I'll be watching the ModuleManager thread for a while to see if there's anything we can do to ameliorate the situation.

I'll try that - it was indeed debris. Thanks for the speedy response! :)

So that's fixed it then? Happy to help out. :)

Wasn't that fixed in 0.24.1?

"Fixed". I haven't looked into it in depth since 0.24.1 was released, but based on mecki's report I feel very confident in my answer. At any rate, since the issue happens after AntennaRange is no longer installed, it is certainly not something I can hope to fix, unless ModuleManager can address it.

So more problems..

Made a base in the SPH, SelectRoot broke things when trying to make it a subassembly. Fine, whatever, I'll put the root (cupola) on in the VAB. I do so and thank to it's design (on its side), I need a probe core pointing up. Put a probe core on the bottom, Hyperedit it into LKO and all is going well. Munar insertion burn going well, Cupola is still the root, but controlling from the secondary probe core. Land the base ok, decouple the landing engines (thanks to TweakableEverything), focus switches to them but because they're activated and burning, I can't switch back to the base. It crashes, then KSP runs out of memory and crashes. I load up the game and everything, fly the Base and am met with this in the log:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at AntennaRange.ModuleLimitedDataTransmitter.CanTransmit () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at AntennaRange.ARFlightController.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Which, fair enough I may be out of LoS of Kerbin to transmit, but I have a kerbal in the cupola and because AR is saying the thing is non-functional, I can't get him out or anything.

If you want, here is the persistent file (you'll need B9 (or at least, the Parts/Adapter_M2 from it), SurfaceLights, TweakScale and TweakableEverything to load the base, and depending on when the last autosave was, KWRocketry too and if that's the case, you'll need to land the base somehwere ;)) and here's the output log (it's a big one..).

Let me know if I can be of any help or have missed something... But FWIW, doing this completed the 'land a base on the Mun' contract, so yeah, silver lining and all...

So more problems..

Made a base in the SPH, SelectRoot broke things when trying to make it a subassembly. Fine, whatever, I'll put the root (cupola) on in the VAB. I do so and thank to it's design (on its side), I need a probe core pointing up. Put a probe core on the bottom, Hyperedit it into LKO and all is going well. Munar insertion burn going well, Cupola is still the root, but controlling from the secondary probe core. Land the base ok, decouple the landing engines (thanks to TweakableEverything), focus switches to them but because they're activated and burning, I can't switch back to the base. It crashes, then KSP runs out of memory and crashes. I load up the game and everything, fly the Base and am met with this in the log:

at AntennaRange.ModuleLimitedDataTransmitter.CanTransmit () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at AntennaRange.ARFlightController.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Which, fair enough I may be out of LoS of Kerbin to transmit, but I have a kerbal in the cupola and because AR is saying the thing is non-functional, I can't get him out or anything.

If you want, here is the persistent file (you'll need B9 (or at least, the Parts/Adapter_M2 from it), SurfaceLights, TweakScale and TweakableEverything to load the base, and depending on when the last autosave was, KWRocketry too and if that's the case, you'll need to land the base somehwere ;)) and here's the output log (it's a big one..).

Let me know if I can be of any help or have missed something... But FWIW, doing this completed the 'land a base on the Mun' contract, so yeah, silver lining and all...

So, there's a lot going on in that log; enough that I'd need to sit down and spend a bit of time studying it to comment on what's really going on.

What I can tell you is that you've got some mods somewhere causing some Big Kerfuffles. There are exceptions during startup, the usual OmgExceptionSpam from E.V.E., and then a bunch more about docking nodes and mechjeb and even TweakableDockingNode making noise from then on, which at the very least implies you've got a mod somewhere doing something that TweakableEverything does not expect (or stopping something that TweakableEverything expects to happen first). The AntennaRange exception you got, I suspect, is actually not related to your problem at all. It only fires once, and it's during a ship load/unload or vessel switch; it's probably a race condition of some kind and generally harmless.

That said, you definitely do have an issue during FixedUpdate runs that is preventing AntennaRange's "do I have control?" check from running. There are complaints from EnhancedNavball and Clouds in particular, but I use both of those and don't have this problem so your issue probably lies elsewhere.

I don't have time right now to build an install to load up your persistence file, but if I do over the weekend I'll let you know what I see. In the meantime, though, I'm going to reiterate my suggestion that you look elsewhere for your solution; I don't think AntennaRange is causing it.

<snip>

Ok, so this whole thing bugs me, my save borking out. I've tried to replicate it on a new install with minimum mods and I couldn't - the network setup went without a hitch. So yes, AR wasn't to blame for that and my apologies for thinking it was. Thanks for your patience and a wonderful mod :)

However, an error still exists, even with this new save. It's the only Exception present and AFAIK, none of the mods installed would interfere with AR.

at AntennaRange.RelayExtensions.HasConnectedRelay (.Vessel vessel) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Situation: Comms 16 (short range) on the ground. Comms 88 (long range) in the air. I can control the vessels with Comms 88s on board fine, but the surface Comms 16 is uncontrollable. It's either 'Blocked by Duna' or 'Out of range'. Which is odd, as the closest satellite is 807,446m away right now according to KER, and the Comms 16 has a range of 1,500,000. It should be able to reach it, no? At closest approach, the relay is 660,000m away. I've brought down the outer satellite as they are a touch beyond the nominal Comms 16 range, but still, no dice.

5DF6IJH.png

If you need to, I could upload this save for you to try out? Here is an abridged output log (deleted entire contents of it, quicksaved then quickloaded) Thanks again for your help and patience :)

Ok, so this whole thing bugs me, my save borking out. I've tried to replicate it on a new install with minimum mods and I couldn't - the network setup went without a hitch. So yes, AR wasn't to blame for that and my apologies for thinking it was. Thanks for your patience and a wonderful mod :)

You're welcome! Thanks for helping me make it better. :)

However, an error still exists, even with this new save. It's the only Exception present and AFAIK, none of the mods installed would interfere with AR.

at AntennaRange.RelayExtensions.HasConnectedRelay (.Vessel vessel) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Situation: Comms 16 (short range) on the ground. Comms 88 (long range) in the air. I can control the vessels with Comms 88s on board fine, but the surface Comms 16 is uncontrollable. It's either 'Blocked by Duna' or 'Out of range'. Which is odd, as the closest satellite is 807,446m away right now according to KER, and the Comms 16 has a range of 1,500,000. It should be able to reach it, no? At closest approach, the relay is 660,000m away. I've brought down the outer satellite as they are a touch beyond the nominal Comms 16 range, but still, no dice.

If you need to, I could upload this save for you to try out? Here is an abridged output log (deleted entire contents of it, quicksaved then quickloaded) Thanks again for your help and patience :)

So, I've finally had a chance to sit down and look at this. Unfortunately the news isn't great; there's nothing obvious going on here. The Exception there is the result of a race condition; in large, heavily-modded saves when load times are very long, Unity starts firing FixedUpdate events before everything is started up. ARFlightController is in charge of changing the icon color and locking the controls; it's trying to do its thing but the ModuleLimitedDataTransmitter in your antenna isn't set up yet, and chokes. I'm not entirely sure that's causing the issue you're having... but it might be. So, I've added a null check to CanTransmit, which should allow that process to run as anticipated.

This dll has that change, and is compiled with debug logging enabled, so it'll make tons and tons of noise in your game and log. Give it a shot; if it fixes the issue let me know and I'll push the fix into a release. If it doesn't, get me the resulting log; maybe it'll have more info for me. :)

I am having a few issues with LoS - namely, LoS not having any effect on vessels. I have a single satellite in LKO with several Com16, and it receives a signal even when opposite KSC. I have double-checked my settings, and I can't seem to figure out why. I have no craft on the ground that might be relaying the signal somehow. Has this issue been reported before? I am running 32 bit .24.2 on Windows. I have a pretty heavy mod list, including Dmagic, TAC LS, RealChute, FAR, KER, and KW.

I am having a few issues with LoS - namely, LoS not having any effect on vessels. I have a single satellite in LKO with several Com16, and it receives a signal even when opposite KSC. I have double-checked my settings, and I can't seem to figure out why. I have no craft on the ground that might be relaying the signal somehow. Has this issue been reported before? I am running 32 bit .24.2 on Windows. I have a pretty heavy mod list, including Dmagic, TAC LS, RealChute, FAR, KER, and KW.

Welcome! AntennaRange does not require transmission to any specific point on Kerbin: a signal that gets to Kerbin is good enough. I summarized my thoughts on this quite a while ago, and my feelings still stand.

So, that's not a bug, it's a feature! If you can talk to Kerbin from the far side of the Mun, we've got a problem. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.