Super Science Machine! (Or so I think)

Hello, KSP community!

So the recent big hoo-ha about career mode got me playing abit, and after 3 hours of fiddlin', I found out that Kerbin itslef has different places, and they all account for different environments, meaning that collecting samples on a highland near KSP is not the same as the one near the desert. And so I thought, hey why not make a machine that goes around collecting this data? Therefore I present, the Super Science Machine!*

It's just an idea though. But it's hatching!

So here goes:

Kerbin has an atmosphere.

Atmosphere = jet engines for super efficiency!

4Z5qxyQ.jpg

4kX4ytr.jpg

n15FK5q.jpg

And I brought it out on a test run! Flies really well, and capable of taking off straight from launchpad with only 6 jet engines.

Not only that, it boasts a super light-weight Kerbal Deployment Device, not a ladder with metal struts! :D

With 3 Science Jr. , 4 Mystery Goo Machines and 9 parachutes in tow, the Super Science Machine* can collect an array of data, and best of all,

RECOVERABLE AT ANYTIME! only on kerbin

With only a little trimming, it flies really well, but sometimes wobble. An ASAS will do the trick if you've progressed far enough.

If you happen upon a beautiful place, and really wanna check it out, just KILL THE ENGINES AND HIT THE CHUTES! You'll land almost immediately.

MFNXTh5.png

However, it doesn't come with landing legs.

VhdIqga.png

Like such!

Hence, if anyone has anybody feedback on my design, please feel free to criticise me! I'm really OPEN to criticism! *gosh this sounds like an innuendo*

Any improvement to suggest, any nitpicking to make, feel free to do so!

I sort of feel like Belethor from Skyrim. ;_;

Thanks in advance, you maginificent peeps!

.CRAFT file: http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/super-science-machine/

Well, for maximum efficiency my previous flights to the mun had 2 of both mystery goo and science jr. I could use one to store data, and the other to transmit back. This way, right before I return, I have 2 stored data; eg. Data on mun surface and near mun, netting me a lot of data when I recover my vessel.

Also, can someone briefly explain how jet engines work? I have absolutely no idea why I'm losing speed even though I'm losing mass. ;_;

What exactly are you doing?

The normal jets work best at low altitudes and the turbojet gives the most thrust up high. Too high and you'll flame-out from lack of air.

What exactly are you doing?

The normal jets work best at low altitudes and the turbojet gives the most thrust up high. Too high and you'll flame-out from lack of air.

Huh?!

So that means turbojet engines work better with a lack of air, and normal jets work better with more air?

Isn't the turbojet just an improvement to the basic jet?!

Huh?!

So that means turbojet engines work better with a lack of air, and normal jets work better with more air?

Isn't the turbojet just an improvement to the basic jet?!

More like turbo-jets work better at high speeds, which are possible with up high with less air because there's less drag. So no it's not an upgrade, they each have their uses.

In real life turbojets are very different from other types of jet engines. The "Jet" engine works best at 5km up, while the "turbojet" works better higher up for the aforementioned reason. The turbojet also delivers more and more thrust at higher speeds, until a max at around 2000m/s

Okay, okay. I'm abit confused. (and this is why i never go to the SPH at all)

So it's like this

> turbojet starts out at average speed

> plane goes higher

> higher altitude means less air

> less air means less resistance

> less resistance means higher speed

> higher speed means more efficient turbojet

Like that?

I asume you don't actually have landing legs, which would be the reason it doesn't have landing legs.

You could try building a cage from Girders, they can take quite alot of punishment. Maybe land it on it's side. You could also try to use the engines to help slow you down to a better touchdown speed. From the screeny it looks like your touchdown speed is 10m/s. Landing legs can take that, but some other parts can't. When you are almost on the ground, fire up the engines a little bit to help slow you down even more.

PS on the turbojet: An extra step: Going faster means the airintakes can take in more air

I asume you don't actually have landing legs, which would be the reason it doesn't have landing legs.

You could try building a cage from Girdrers, they can take quite alot of punishment. Maybe land it on it's side. You could also try to use the engines to help slow you down to a better touchdown speed. From the screeny it looks like your touchdown speed is 10m/s. Landing legs can take that, but some other parts can't. When you are almost on the ground, fire up the engines a little bit to help slow you down even more.

PS on the turbojet: An extra step: Going faster means the airintakes can take in more air

Well, I do have landing legs, but they're not long enough. I suppose the cages could do, but it's abit awkwardly shaped.

I'll see if I can get a workaround going. Thanks alot!

Also, at 10km I'm moving at 500m/s, can it get any faster?

You can get there faster by making a suborbital hop. You can even use time warp when above atmosphere. Jet engines are efficient but sloooow.

But a suborbital hop expends a lot of fuel, meaning that the flights are probably one-off things. Great idea, btw!

Edited by egnio98

To go faster, use turbo jets and travel at an altitude > 20 km. Just make sure you have enough air intakes to handle such altitudes. Also, since jet engines are very fuel efficient, I would suggest that you lose some of the fuel tanks, i.e. mass.

Okay, okay. I'm abit confused. (and this is why i never go to the SPH at all)

So it's like this

> turbojet starts out at average speed

> plane goes higher

> higher altitude means less air

> less air means less resistance

> less resistance means higher speed

> higher speed means more efficient turbojet

Like that?

Yep. But the turbojet starts out at low thrust compared to the jet. It also uses longer time to spool up the RPM, so the jet is more useful for take-offs (especially vertical) by giving a bigger punch, faster.

Getting from A to B with the turbojet it wins hands down, but you need more of them to take-off vertically than with jets. More engines need more air so you lower your service ceiling this way. With a high service ceiling comes high speeds

It's like a 909 vs nuclear engine discussion, both engines have their strengths and weaknesses, and both are useful.

Yep. But the turbojet starts out at low thrust compared to the jet. It also uses longer time to spool up the RPM, so the jet is more useful for take-offs (especially vertical) by giving a bigger punch, faster.

Getting from A to B with the turbojet it wins hands down, but you need more of them to take-off vertically than with jets. More engines need more air so you lower your service ceiling this way. With a high service ceiling comes high speeds

It's like a 909 vs nuclear engine discussion, both engines have their strengths and weaknesses, and both are useful.

I see. Do you reckon its possible to take off with normal jets, and decouple them after firing the turbojets at a better height? Will it be anymore useful? Also, im going to try to make the super science machine in the SPH. Will post pics when done!

I see. Do you reckon its possible to take off with normal jets, and decouple them after firing the turbojets at a better height? Will it be anymore useful? Also, im going to try to make the super science machine in the SPH. Will post pics when done!

Go into the KSP folder. Open up the saves file. Find the folder with the name of your game. Open up Ships map. Open VAB map. Find your rocket. Copy rocket file. Go back and open SPH map. Copy rocket file. Your rocket can now be loaded in the SPH

Go into the KSP folder. Open up the saves file. Find the folder with the name of your game. Open up Ships map. Open VAB map. Find your rocket. Copy rocket file. Go back and open SPH map. Copy rocket file. Your rocket can now be loaded in the SPH

Or just detach the command pod and save the rest as a sub-assembly. Sub-assemblies can be transferred without messing with the save file.

Or just detach the command pod and save the rest as a sub-assembly. Sub-assemblies can be transferred without messing with the save file.

Thanks for the tip! Though, I did do abit of tweaking around, and made it the all new FLYING science machine!

o0c35Dj.jpg

OB9bVTq.jpg

Feedback?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.