Station Parts Project [stock welds by the DoPToOT]

little square dot

Big thumbs up here for your parts. I'm using your mod for my stations now, both for its looks and what seems to me to be a much smaller ram footprint than FusTek parts. The unlit porthole version giving us the choice of where to light it up is great. Add a bit of functionality to the various sections would make it perfect.

Thanks again

Edited by Nemesis30

Really nice welds there, aesthetics wise... Problem is, as bac9 has pointed out, performance takes a big hit, and I've had to keep only the parts i want in the pack.

Next, I really suggest you cut down on the chatter in the part description. Not everyone out there has a 1920x1080 monitor, don't expect the description, the module info AND the part name to fit on a 800 or 768 tall screen. Really. Just put the required info in the description, and reduce the humour.

Really nice welds there, aesthetics wise... Problem is, as bac9 has pointed out, performance takes a big hit, and I've had to keep only the parts i want in the pack.

I hear you guys. Really. I don't see how this is a problem though, because those who run into performance issues can simply discard the parts that are causing the game to chug, as you did.

As I said before, I haven't had any issues with performance, so long as I don't use a bunch of the more complex parts on the same station, and it doesn't make sense for me to reduce the options for those with higher-performing pc's simply so that those with slower pc's don't have to delete parts.

I did post a second pack without portholes to address performance/aesthetic concerns, but beyond that I don't plan on reducing the number or complexity of the parts. I will however be more mindful of performance in future releases, as I don't want those with older pc's to feel/be excluded.

I don't have a beast of a machine myself, so I sort of assumed that what works for me would work for most, however given some of the feedback that I've received, I suppose I should not have made that assumption.

Next, I really suggest you cut down on the chatter in the part description. Not everyone out there has a 1920x1080 monitor, don't expect the description, the module info AND the part name to fit on a 800 or 768 tall screen. Really. Just put the required info in the description, and reduce the humour.

Admittedly, I didn't even consider this as a potential issue until I noticed in final testing that a few of the descriptions took up nearly the entire length of my screen, but the descriptions weren't exactly high on my list of priorities as I was ironing out the wrinkles in the welds, and I forgot to revisit them before releasing.

That said, I don't think that it's beyond anyone's ability to open a config and delete a description or parts of it, although of course ideally the player shouldn't have to.

I will keep this in mind when updating/in future releases. Thanks for the feedback. =)

As I said before, I haven't had any issues with performance, so long as I don't use a bunch of the more complex parts on the same station, and it doesn't make sense for me to reduce the options for those with higher-performing pc's simply so that those with slower pc's don't have to delete parts

It's not that one has a slower PC, it's that KSP is still stuck in a 32 bit system and can only use 3 or 4 GB of memory. Till I found a few lower res texture packs I couldn't use all my mods at the same time cause KSP would crash with out of memory errors and I have 16 GB of ram on this PC. And till Unity updates to a 64 bit option it'll be stuck there.

It's not that one has a slower PC, it's that KSP is still stuck in a 32 bit system and can only use 3 or 4 GB of memory. Till I found a few lower res texture packs I couldn't use all my mods at the same time cause KSP would crash with out of memory errors and I have 16 GB of ram on this PC. And till Unity updates to a 64 bit option it'll be stuck there.

Sure, we've all been after SQUAD about the 32-bit thing for a while, however that's a restriction that we all face, yet people are having vastly different experiences regarding the performance of this pack.

GPU's and CPU's play a major role as well.

Nice parts, although if those things on the escape pods are Sepratrons I suggest replacing them with the small radial engine.

They're just models. All engine parameters were customized and manually added to the .cfg.

The thought of escape pods with LFO propulsion and fuel tanks just doesn't seem right to me, but you can edit all of that in the .cfg if you like.

Simply add LF and O capacity, copy the parameters from whichever LFO engine you like, then tweak 'til your boat is floating.

there is a 64 bit unity but its buggy as hell thats why they havent swtiched over

Nice concept, infinite possibilities for building space stations etc but you are going to have to do something about the lights from your accommodation pods etc! They are simply overpowering, far to bright almost as if each porthole has a spotlight shining out of it. (Anybody else having the same problem?)

Try and attach some of the radial accommodation pods in the assembly building and see what I mean.

Nice concept, infinite possibilities for building space stations etc but you are going to have to do something about the lights from your accommodation pods etc! They are simply overpowering, far to bright almost as if each porthole has a spotlight shining out of it. (Anybody else having the same problem?)

Try and attach some of the radial accommodation pods in the assembly building and see what I mean.

thats why he has a pack with them removed all lights but on the docking bays so u can add yourself

Yeah, we discussed this in the first few posts, and as sidfu said, an alternate version without portholes was released to address the issue.

It would seem as though the lighting mechanics are slightly messed up to begin with, and seriously effed up by some of the welds, which appear to reflect the light in odd directions while magnifying the intensity exponentially. I noticed this in testing, but I also thought that the modules would look rather bland without portholes, so I released the parts avec les portholes, fully expecting to make a pack sans les portholes aussi. Download link at bottom.

one thing i really would like is plz have lights toggable on all parts. only a few of the parts have toggable lights and they start on. when in daytime causes alot of lag due to number of lights

Trouble is that only one light per part will toggle... t'is the nature of the weld. Only one EVA hatch will work, one animation, etc. because they're all single parts.

I actually almost released this pack sans portholes for the very reason you mention, in addition to which I dislike how effing bright the portholes are, and each additional light seems to increase the brightness exponentially.

I think I will release a second pack with placeholder models where the portholes should be and let people attach them themselves, as this would make them all toggleable. It would also increase part counts, although even still most modules would only be 3 parts, which shouldn't be unmanageable so long as you're not making 100+ module stations.

Download Station Parts v1.static_portholes_removed_add_your_own!

(^^this^^ version has had all of the pre-placed, static portholes removed, both to improve performance and to give the player the freedom to place portholes in areas of their choosing, which will also result in the player having the ability to turn their 'internal' lights on and off.)

Big thumbs up here for your parts. I'm using your mod for my stations now, both for its looks and what seems to me to be a much smaller ram footprint than FusTek parts. The unlit porthole version giving us the choice of where to light it up is great. Add a bit of functionality to the various sections would make it perfect.

Thanks again

My pleasure, and I bestow a "POST PICS!" upon you as well. :cool:

How do the escape pods work? are kerbals meant to go inside them somehow ?

I can't figure out how right now tbh!

You can either use crew manifest to transfer Kerbals in, or the invisible hatch, haha... If you put a kerbal in a pod and go to the launch pad you'll find it. If you look at the escape pod closely you can see the bottom of the Mk1 Pod from which I have borrowed the hatch.

I actually never tested it to make sure that kerbals can enter, but they can definitely exit, so I assume entry shouldn't be a problem. I appreciate that it's a tad awkward, but I'm afraid the options are quite limited when working with welds.

Yeah, didn't read the thread before I posted my reply, new at all this. I downloaded your mod without the portholes activated (Sans portholes?) which fixed the problem. Really enjoying the mod now, especially as I can can use your porthole on other pieces of equipment.

Keep Up the good work!!

Just got my first space station into orbit using this mod, wanted to show a pic of it but cant figure out how to post one, it keeps asking me for a URL?

You need to upload the image first.

http://imgur.com/ is a nice, simple site for image hosting.

Register with imgur, upload screenshot(s) from your pc, copy the image URL(web address), click on "insert image" and paste the URL.

It's really a lot more simple than it looks, and once you're up and running you can share all of your images with three or four clicks of your mouse. =)

Just a heads up for those interested, I will be posting a version of this pack with both tech tree and Station Science mod integration tomorrow.

Henceforth I will only be updating the "Sans Portholes" version of the pack because it's much more flexible and performance-friendly (and far less blinding) than the original.

I should probably also rename it the "Ploppable Portholes" version, as I don't want to be seen as being anti-viewport in any way... I'm really not... I mean, my best friend is a viewport, honest.

Also, keep your eyes peeled for my Stock Colonization Project, which I hope to have finished within the next few weeks.

Thanks for all your support, constructive criticism and suggestions. =)

Edited by little square dot

Just a heads up for those interested, I will be posting a version of this pack with both tech tree and Station Science mod integration tomorrow.

Henceforth I will only be updating the "Sans Portholes" version of the pack because it's much more flexible and performance-friendly (and far less blinding) than the original.

I should probably also rename it the "Ploppable Portholes" version, as I don't want to be seen as being anti-viewport in any way... I'm really not... I mean, my best friend is a viewport, honest.

Also, keep your eyes peeled for my Stock Colonization Project, which I hope to have finished within the next few weeks.

Thanks for all your support, constructive criticism and suggestions. =)

thats good with the memory reduction mod i can use more than just a few of these parts now.

Does it play nice with deadly reentry and FAR?

I don't see why not.

As far as Deadly Reentry, remember that the welds are all single parts, so a burning appendage will be raising the temp of the entire part. Also, I can't recall giving the maxTemps in the .cfg's much attention, so they may need some tweaking. I seem to recall my default value being pretty high, but I could be wrong about that.

Regarding FAR, none of these parts are propulsive or generate lift, and while I'm fairly sure the drag won't be accurate, generally station parts are enclosed in fairings at the top of a rocket until they're in space anyway, so whether you use FAR or not shouldn't really matter.

thats good with the memory reduction mod i can use more than just a few of these parts now.

Yeah, that one's a little gem.

Hello, I'm trying your mod and really like it, I just have a little bit of a problem with the lights.

I'm trying the "sans porthole" version, but some of the pieces still do come with lights on them, like the docking ports and the light on those really are too bright to my taste. And being a bit new there, I was curious to know if there is a way to "dim" those lights, and restrict their range some ? As I would not mind to have them giving some "life" to my station, without making it shining brighter than the sun out there lol.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Edit : Found a kind of "chainsaw" way, that remove the lights fully from those parts. Not exactly what I wanted at first, but until someone give me some tips I will use that.

Edited by Stavinsky

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.