Inept Rocket Builder J78936542 Signing in

chgrogers

Hi, I am the new Inept Rocket Builder starting my career in the Kerbal Space Program. I have been assigned to design team for the probe mission to Duna. So far to assist in getting to Duna I have managed a manned mission to Minmus and a probe mission to Mun. All other manned mission to Mun resulted in a stranded Kerbal. Now am building an oversize probe to tour the Duna system and land on its moon. I keep running into issues building a big enough rocket to get it into Kerbin orbit.

Signing off,

Inept Rocket Scientist J78936542

Welcome to the community chgrogers :)

Protip, you don't need a huge rocket to get to Duna and back, or anywhere else for that matter, low mass is your friend and that includes fuel mass.

You can do Duna in one launch, some people even manage it with a single stage to orbit craft, you can too it just takes practice, perseverance and leaving all those jumbo-64's at home :)

Good luck with that.

Add More Boostars Add More Boostars Add More Boostars Add More Boostars Add More Boostars Add More Boostars!!!!!

This Career Mode build made it to Mun orbit and back with no solar panels or extra batteries. You go straight up on the boosters, start the gravity turn upon staging,and complete the 100k orbit with a short burn of the third stage. From there in, you plan your Mun encounter, get in orbit, and do a direct return to aerobraking with fuel and power to spare.

zUCLXGU.jpg

cfd0Euk.jpg

This more sophisticated design, also from Career Mode, made Minmus.

kTLUCfc.jpg

0zkwkwu.jpg

This one did Duna and Eve.

Rz1Nym6.jpg

3ShcRQU.jpg

The Kracken ate a critical thruster when I switched from the control center to fly mode. It is now in Duna orbit. I have another probe on the way for the landing attempt.

In short, don't overbuild. Build and test for efficiency.