EVA Gone Mad

What is "EVA Gone Mad?"

EVA Gone Mad is a challenge that will test your very skills at EVA. It also is one of the first few challenges to utilize the Debug menu as a full-on implement of the challenge. Basically it goes like this. You EVA a kerbal at Kerbin, and proceed to jetpack into orbit and visit other celestial bodies.

EVA Gone Mad Requirements

- First of all, since you can't jetpack on Kerbin, using the debug menu is a must. Press Alt+F12 to bring it up. Once you've brought it up, click "Infinite EVA Fuel" and "Hack Gravity".

- All Achievements must be done in EVA.

- Pictures!

Challenge Rules

- No Hyperedit.

- Timewarp allowed.

- Map View Allowed.

Scoring

Kerbin Achievements

- Enter Space (Past 40 KM): 10 Points

- Enter a stable Kerbin Orbit (Perigee past 69.1KM): 15 points

- Attain Escape Velocity: 50 Points

Mun Achievements

- Transfer to the Mun: 25 points

- Enter Munar Orbit: 60 Points

- Land on the Mun: 100 points

- Land on the Mun and return to Kerbin safely (Since Gravity is hacked, you can now survive descent and reentry): 300 points

Minimus Achievements

- Transfer to Minmus: 60 points

- Enter Minmus Orbit: 100 points

- Land on Minmus: 200 points

- Land on Minmus and return: 450 points

Leaderboard

1. Pxi - 185 Point for successful lunar landing/other stuff.

Have fun, and begin EVAing!

Edited by NASAFanboy

Ok here we go with part one of my attempt, in which I successfully leave Jeb stranded on the Mun...

Taking off:

2013-11-07_00007.jpg

2013-11-07_00008.jpg

Reaching 40km altitude - 10 points

2013-11-07_00009.jpg

Reaching a stable orbit of Kerbin - 15 points

2013-11-07_00010.jpg

Beginning the Mun transfer:

2013-11-07_00011.jpg

Probably the weirdest Mun encounter trajectory I've ever seen:

2013-11-07_00012.jpg

Aparently this is what it means:

2013-11-07_00014.jpg

We can fix that:

2013-11-07_00015.jpg

Burning retrograde into orbit around the Mun:

2013-11-07_00023.jpg

And that's our orbit - 60 points:

2013-11-07_00018.jpg

Watching the vertical speed indicator, and wondering exactly how much thrust does the EVA suit provide...

2013-11-07_00027.jpg

Enough thrust aparently:

2013-11-07_00028.jpg

Getting close:

2013-11-07_00030.jpg

Touchdown! - 100 points:

2013-11-07_00031.jpg

Jeb seems to be taking it in his stride:

2013-11-07_00032.jpg

Of course, there's no scientific value in doing this, but think of the propaganda value! Quick, plant a flag and pose for a photo:

2013-11-07_00034.jpg

I'd continue, but it's past 5am, and I don't think this will function as a reason why my clients pc's won't be being fixed in the morning. More to come.

Edited by pxi

With infinite EVA fuel you could potentially go to other planets (and return) as well.

I have a base on Moho so I just tested there, got up into orbit fine even though bit fiddly and tedious (physical warp helped lots), with infinite EVA fuel.

I've returned to orbit from Dres with just the EVA pack, without infinite fuel, so Dres is 100% doable.

According to the wiki Moho's surface gravity is 2.70 m/s2, which would make Vall (2.31 m/s2) and Eeloo (1.69 m/s2) possible as well.

Bop, Pol, Gilly and Ike are of course entirely possible.

Only one I'm not personally sure on would be Duna, surface gravity of 2.94 m/s2. Been ages since I was there and I didn't EVApack around a lot there, so can't remember if the EVApack has a TWR higher than 1 there.

So who's up for interplanetary trips?

Only one I'm not personally sure on would be Duna, surface gravity of 2.94 m/s2. Been ages since I was there and I didn't EVApack around a lot there, so can't remember if the EVApack has a TWR higher than 1 there.

It does. Just barely. It may not at sea level. I realized after landing my first craft there that I forgot to add ladders...

So who's up for interplanetary trips?

Unless I massively mis-read the OP, use of hack-gravity is a requirement, so everything up to and including eve would be up for grabs as I see it.

Unless I massively mis-read the OP, use of hack-gravity is a requirement, so everything up to and including eve would be up for grabs as I see it.

Hack gravity on Kerbin, yes, but hack gravity won't be enabled for any other SoI, it has to be toggled 'locally' once you've entered the specific SoI. That way if you toggle it on Kerbin you can get into orbit with just the EVA pack, but beyond that you have to do orbital manouvers as usual, which I understood was the point of the challenge.

Hack gravity on Kerbin, yes, but hack gravity won't be enabled for any other SoI, it has to be toggled 'locally' once you've entered the specific SoI. That way if you toggle it on Kerbin you can get into orbit with just the EVA pack, but beyond that you have to do orbital manouvers as usual, which I understood was the point of the challenge.

Aha, I assumed hack gravity worked everywhere once you enabled it, thanks for clearing that up!

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.