(OLD) The Ultimate Jool-5 Challenge:land Kerbals on all moons and return in one big mission

Ziv

Nice Ziv. Better them than me though!

8.1 tons is amazing for a two seater if you can land it on Tylo. Tried a few drop tests?

How? I had no time to go to Tylo yet, and I don't want to use hyperedit or other similar stuff because that would kill the thrill for me. I just design and hope for the best while being exited on the mission! By the way my new mission for the Level-1 LowMass Sub-Challenge is already in orbit, with a different - TOP SECRET - lander. :D

Edited by Ziv

How? I had no time to go to Tylo yet, and I don't want to use hyperedit or other similar stuff because that would kill the thrill for me. I just design and hope for the best while being exited on the mission! By the way my new mission for the Level-1 LowMass Sub-Challenge is already in orbit, with a different - TOP SECRET - lander. :D

Let me guess? A kerbal clinging to a step segment on an RCS thruster?

Let me guess? A kerbal clinging to a step segment on an RCS thruster?

HAHA, No... :D this is why I made the open-space version prohibited in the Low Mass Category Challenge. Or would it be a good idea to allow these stuff?

HAHA, No... :D this is why I made the open-space version prohibited in the Low Mass Category Challenge. Or would it be a good idea to allow these stuff?

In my humble opinion: YES

Reason: A challenge for a standart, state of the art "realistic" mission is the Jeb-Mode.

the minimum weight from pad challenge should in my opinion show what reducing weight can bring.

I would love to see/make a chair+ladder+crazy EVAing solution for the big - 5 problem;) (after i beat the normal one ;))

Edited by Norcurion

The Osperus II (3rd Jool mission), has made it into Jool system, dropped landers for Tylo and Laythe along with their respective tugs.

Took multiple orbits of Kerbin to achieve escape from SoI, burning a LOT of fuel, (two jumbo 2.5m tanks), not overly happy with that, but the main ship is now in Jool orbit, with 8200dV remaining.

Jacuzzi installed in one of the centrifuges counterbalanced by gymnasium.

Kerbin orbit: Missing extra jumbo tank and landers.

public.php?service=files&t=f0f4bd764eb81fe3a059d6c4d0d73025&download

Kerbin orbit: Lander docking and tugs in place.

public.php?service=files&t=800f98aead09439b80c9d208ed63331d&download

Increasing periapsis, Jool system.

public.php?service=files&t=87a06c478be629ed7355ef6ba396eb0e&download

Tug and lander assembly.

public.php?service=files&t=7b8af438510d533a851c909ace58cfc6&download

Off to Tylo.

public.php?service=files&t=adcdf4edafcf6bb45e7eee5973e37b2f&download

Tylo orbit.

public.php?service=files&t=d2503954a5e1647be7a36bc5f31e59dc&download

Another tug and lander assembly went to Laythe.

public.php?service=files&t=b076da01f85cdc435e280b9b2c475fe4&download

Osperus 2, Jool orbit, lot's of deltaV remaining, no refueling this trip I think!

public.php?service=files&t=959728bb540f848ee7fc2bc421b94a67&download

Edited by SSSPutnik

MAYDAY!!! MAYDAY!!! This is Jool 5 - 1. We are in dire situation. The crew had considerations about the ÃŽâ€V of the Tylo lander considering Tylo's gravity and the mishap with Laythe and decided to lower the orbit so if anything goes wrong we will have some sort of escape plan. Our considerations were confirmed after seeing Jeb's ÃŽâ€V upon undocking. FIRE the engineer who calculated the ÃŽâ€V for Tylo lander. Jeb took it down anyway and barely made it back to orbit. He has very little RCS fuel. He will try to rendezvous with the mothership. Send refuel tank with an RCS tug if possible in case Jeb runs out of fuel. End of transmission.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Mobjack: Congratulations, you have finished the JOOL-5 Challenge at Jebediah's Level! (At first I had some concern about science because you have to bring back all the science instruments (or every science data if you bring a Mobile Lab) and I saw you had points only for the surface samples, and the others were transmitted. But I saw you had all the instruments back with the five landers so I can accept it.)

I really enjoyed your big mess back at Vall! :D Going in opposite directions, lol! That's dangerous, didn't you know!?!? :D And it was a really lovely scene as one of your lander tugs the other one. :)

Btw for most efficiency I think you should have left the main ship somewhere between Vall and Tylo, and that way the landers wouldn't have wasted dVs for going back to orbit around Vall and leaving it again (as weight on the main ship). But otherwise nice solutions, good job! :)

Edited by Ziv

OK, Ziv, I am challenger in it :)

Cool! Let's Challenge! :D

In my humble opinion: YES

Reason: A challenge for a standart, state of the art "realistic" mission is the Jeb-Mode.

the minimum weight from pad challenge should in my opinion show what reducing weight can bring.

I would love to see/make a chair+ladder+crazy EVAing solution for the big - 5 problem;) (after i beat the normal one ;))

Okay, I'm going to change the rules: you can use any crazy idea for the lander BUT you have to bring a pod. Come on, you don't want Jebediah to hold on to a ladder for 750 days! :D

Regarding the low mass challenge, won't this basically come down to pilot deltaV savings? Also, some entries already completed were very low mass.

Not really, it will come down to the lowest mass of the lander(s), the most fuel-efficient solutions, the good positioning of the main/fuel ship for deltaV savings and building an effective launcher. It is more complicated as it seems at first.

For a quick imaginary example, think about only the lander: it weights X tons and needs 0.7 X tons of refueling for each moon, so X + 5*0.7X = 4.5 X tons will be needed carrying to Jool. To bring X tons to Jool needs 5X tons of fuel. To bring X tons from launch pad to Kerbin orbit needs 9 X tons of fuel. So, it's like this:

Total Weight = 9 * (5 * 4.5 X) = 202,5 X

So if the lander (X) is 10 tons then the ship on the launch pad would be 2025 tons. But if the lander is 30 tons then the ship would be 6075 tons...

Edited by Ziv

Another progress report, the Taurus has made it to Jool, and achieved retrograde equatorial orbit around Tylo, needs refueling though for both fuel and mono-propellant. Am i able to send more than one fueling tanker at the same time so its not a huge ship? I will post the whole mission in Fan Works when I finish! :P I think i'm going to land the Tylo lander, as it is full of 7,000 fuel, then while it is on the surface, refuel the Taurus (that's the name of my ship), bring the lander back up to orbit and dock it. That way I don't get too much lag from having alot of ships docked :)

I honestly have no idea how the landers on the side did not break off during reentry, although i did have to stay in 1x warp or else it shook! My crew of 5 has been smiling literally the whole time and it's starting to freak me out, even Bob was smiling during reentry! Although it doesn't look like it, this is stock except for the KAS struts and obviously Kerbpaint (and info mods!)

Pictures:

Edited by Mr.Rocket

Okay, thanks,I will send re-fuelers, more than one :) The Tylo landing shall proceed while the fuel is on its way to Jool. Hopefully the retrogade orbit won't make the lander need more Delta-v :D !

Edited by Mr.Rocket

So ultimately a quick save file bug killed my whole mission -.-

I was on laythe and quick saved before restart to orbit. After reloading my lander exploded. Repeatedly every time I’ve loaded the save game.

It was so intense that one time the mechjeb pod was accelerated to an orbital speed of 37 km/s and left the Kerbol system (see screen shots)

The ship had a lot of design flaws, so I’ll not repeat the mission, instead there will be a Selene III, redesigned from tip to toe.

I put a lot of blood, sweat and tears in it, so I’ll post it never the less if it's OK

- What mods did you use, if any?

Mechjeb: I use mechjeb for standard actions like reaching LKO and the Jool transfer. furthermore i use it to execute the Nodes i planned manually.

- How many launches was needed to start your mission from Kerbal?

4 Hardware Launches + Crew Launch

- How many refueling did you do during the mission, how much and where?

There would have been a full orange tank necessary directly after the recapture of the Lander in the Laythe Orbit due to too much suboptimal designs of the lander

- Did you bring a Living Quarter (Hitch-hiker's Storage) for the guys during the long journey?

I had 2 Hitch-hiker's storage container which doubled as the lander for Kerbin.

There were 8 Kerbins on board: Jeb Bill and Bob and two others for the lander, Jebley and Jobley for the Lab and one to make coffee

- Did you bring additional stuff like satellites, rovers, etc?

there was a Hopper for Laythe, some kind of ugly minijet to get to the land an catch soil probes and atmospheric science with the nose probe

- Share the delta-V information too, if you tracked it!

HKO -> JOOL ~2100

Jool -> Tylo intercept ~500

Tylo orbit ~ 1500

Tylo -> Laythe ~ 800

Science plan for Laythe:

The lander was to land on the ocean and had a full science Setup + two additional Setups in a drop pod (that was to be read out by a swimmer and left on laythe)

higher Atmosphere: Nose probe while (re)entry

rest while re orbiting

No EVA

lower atmosphere: Nose probe while flying the hopper

rest with science drop pod on chutes

EVA when all chutes deployed

Sea: 2nd science hardware of drop pod

Water probe

EVA

Land soil probe from Hopper landing on an island

Bummer dude. I had mechjeb bug causing Tylo landing issues, finally did it after mostly manual landing.

Actually that thing landet without problems ... It swam perfectliy. I saved. I started. I crashed making nonsense... And after that i quickloaded... boooom ... Maybe the damn science pod under it caused it -.-

Dun, Dun, Dun. THE KRAKEN HAS STRIKEN! MAN THE HARPOONS!

Thats actually really unfortunate, that was a really cool modular lander. :(

Thank you :)

It takes more than one kraken to stop me.. ;)

My brave (crazy, stupid) Kerbals work on improvments for Selene III...

like the optional chutes (so they wont land on tylo)

tZKpXfn.png

AAAAAND the mobil Science Pod. I'll land just near the coast and fly on dry land... Taaadaaa Science for water and soil

Those 2.4 Tons are totally worth it!

47Y7TGR.jpg

(and Jeb kind of likes it too)

Edited by Norcurion

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.