KSP nominated for Best Sci-Fi Game - Voting now open

CaptRobau

what a stupid voting! X-Rebirth hasnt been released yet, EvE is an MMO (should be in the MMO section) and Swapper....... never heard of it

Although it is a totally different genre then KSP, The Swapper (what a name :confused: ) really deserves your attention if you like 2D puzzle games. I loved the art style and atmosphere of the game. That being said, I voted for KSP :)

I'm not going to vote for that (don't feel like any deserve it to be honest) but I don't think KSP deserves "best" sci-fi game. It's not really a sci-fi game. I honestly think that the winner should be Eve Online, but again I'm not voting as I haven't played either of the two other options. I just think Eve Online is an amazing idea

Manned missions to other planets and/or building bases... how is that not science fiction?

Because we could do it if we wanted to . . . the only reason we don't is because humans are rubbish and prefer to spend money on things that are no where near as impressive, like wars.

So yeah ok, its fiction because the Kerbs seem to have a far more advanced sensibility that human kind.

At the risk of becoming political, the UK government want to build a train line that will shave about 30-60 minutes off travel covering about 1/3 the length of the country, the proposed cost of this train is around £40 billion (which will almost certainly at least treble when they actually build it, these things always do!).

This figure is around middle of the range for estimates of the cost of a manned mission to Mars.

So: Train, agreed by most to be a huge politically motivated white elephant vs manned mission to Mars

I know what I'd rather have.

Because we could do it if we wanted to . . . the only reason we don't is because humans are rubbish and prefer to spend money on things that are no where near as impressive, like wars.

So yeah ok, its fiction because the Kerbs seem to have a far more advanced sensibility that human kind.

At the risk of becoming political, the UK government want to build a train line that will shave about 30-60 minutes off travel covering about 1/3 the length of the country, the proposed cost of this train is around £40 billion (which will almost certainly at least treble when they actually build it, these things always do!).

This figure is around middle of the range for estimates of the cost of a manned mission to Mars.

So: Train, agreed by most to be a huge politically motivated white elephant vs manned mission to Mars

I know what I'd rather have.

I disagree... a manned mission to Mars, maybe. But what about missions to Jool (Jupiter), or any other planet where Kerbals can go? Ain't gonna happen... not in my lifetime. Therefor, KSP is science fiction... seems legit.

I disagree... a manned mission to Mars, maybe. But what about missions to Jool (Jupiter), or any other planet where Kerbals can go? Ain't gonna happen... not in my lifetime. Therefor, KSP is science fiction... seems legit.

You're probably right that manned visits to the outer solar system probably won't happen in our life times, but again it could be done with modern tech

The LV-N in KSP is modelled after one of these which despite being a 50 year old idea has never been properly developed.

Then there is VASMIR drives, which have no real equivent in KSP, the Ion drive is close but as they run on Xenon, I'm guessing they are meant to emulate a more traditional lower thrust Ion Drive. Again this is a nearly 50 year old idea which has only seen any serious development in the last decade or so. . . by private companies.

If NASA / governments had been seriously working on this stuff since the 60's and humanity had got over it irrational fear of everything Nuclear then we may well have been seriously talking about trips to Europa etc.

But yeah sadly didn't happen. . . any yeah it might take many decades before we get there. . . if ever. So fiction may be valid.

You're probably right that manned visits to the outer solar system probably won't happen in our life times, but again it could be done with modern tech

The LV-N in KSP is modelled after one of these which despite being a 50 year old idea has never been properly developed.

Then there is VASMIR drives, which have no real equivent in KSP, the Ion drive is close but as they run on Xenon, I'm guessing they are meant to emulate a more traditional lower thrust Ion Drive. Again this is a nearly 50 year old idea which has only seen any serious development in the last decade or so. . . by private companies.

If NASA / governments had been seriously working on this stuff since the 60's and humanity had got over it irrational fear of everything Nuclear then we may well have been seriously talking about trips to Europa etc.

But yeah sadly didn't happen. . . any yeah it might take many decades before we get there. . . if ever. So fiction may be valid.

Sure, we've got a lot of cool stuff but even if money or political motives weren't an issue, a return trip to any of the planets in the outer or inner system would be more than a daunting task. It's not just engine power that is holding us back. The extreme distances we have to cover are making it extremely difficult to reach anything further then the Moon. You need food, oxygen, entertainment etc. and also something to make sure the human body doesn't take any damage from a long time exposure to zero gravity. We are not up to par with those challenges yet.

Don't get me wrong: I really DO hope we will visit Mars in my lifetime and maybe go even further than that. I'm not an expert, but with my current knowledge this seems next to impossible.

Luckily we've got KSP and we can live our dreams! :cool:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.