So I took my large space craft to Duna...

dellcom1800

After completing my space ship "Intrepid" I decided to test it out. I took it out from 250K orbit of Kerbal to an orbit just beyond Mimus.

H6oWiTN.png

y08KncH.png

YiKMe31.png

I then decided it was working well (laggy) but well. I then set my sights on Duna and with a course plotted I fired the engines and off I went.

FYI I do not use any mods, all stock.

Well I got to Duna but my fuel was not looking great. I ended up literally having almost exactly enough to get into an aero-capture orbit. As of now I am in an elliptical orbit (AP 950k PE 200k) and all 4 Kerbals are safe and even have a lander to try out later. But I have zero full for the Nuke engines and I have no way to get them home so my thought is to send a fuel barge out there next.

I have learned I could have put less RCS tanks and a single larger liquid full tank which would have helped. The engine module is undock-able so I could just build and send a new one, great advantage of module construction.

RGsh0lG.png

How have others solved this problem? I assume I am not the first to run out of fuel in orbit :)

Edited by dellcom1800

After completing my space ship "Intrepid" I decided to test it out. I took it out from 250K orbit of Kerbal to an orbit just beyond Mimus.

-snip-

I then decided it was working well (laggy) but well. I then set my sights on Duna and with a course plotted I fired the engines and off I went.

FYI I do not use any mods, all stock.

Well I got to Duna but my fuel was not looking great. I ended up literally having almost exactly enough to get into an aero-capture orbit. As of now I am in an elliptical orbit (AP 950k PE 200k) and all 4 Kerbals are safe and even have a lander to try out later. But I have zero full for the Nuke engines and I have no way to get them home so my thought is to send a fuel barge out there next.

How have others solved this problem? I assume I am not the first to run out of fuel in orbit :)

That's why i have a fuel station in LDO...

AzI2kl7.jpg

Well the fuel barge worked, although I need to build a better transport system for it. Was able to get 1 orange tank there getting me back to 50%, it would have been 100% had I not had to steal some of its fuel to get in a proper orbit. I was coming in at the wrong angle.

4zU8Y0f.png

After Docking. I had to undock the landing craft to make room. Another re-design I will have to do on the next version, better docking access.

x1cCPk6.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.