"Go ahead and drop the boosters."

Whackjob

Again I am graced by failure. I will have to redo the lift system. One issue I absolutely have to correct is the asymmetrical weight. Even reaction wheels galore cannot correct for it. This part is turning out to be more difficult than I had anticipated.

No matter. It's going into orbit whether it likes it or not.

#EDIT: ARGH. Ok, apparently I'm some sort of idiot. It didn't occur to me to just stand the thing on end and then use a caged booster system. It's like I'd forgotten my own history.

Edited by Whackjob

Thank you, all, for the confidence you have in me. We will see if it isn't misplaced. :)

Redid the launch system. Why lift it flat like a plate? The weight isn't balanced, and while I could correct it, it does seem, at least in retrospect, silly and pointless.

MNYvLfx.png

With the redesign, this is sufficient to achieve orbit. Additionally, this should be capable of reaching and docking with the command module without assistance. Going to try to manage that before I coma until tomorrowsday get.

It's a good day when Whackjob builds something bigger than gilly :D

Ahhh - so that's what a caged booster system is. You build a cage. Out of boosters. And use it to capture Gilly. :D

No, that's the lander leg and engine assembly. The C&C module is already in orbit. On a side note, I failed on launching this.

Cq7t5t2.png

I think I just took the title for the greatest unintentional spray of shrapnel in KSP.

When I try launching something huge, my ship often looks like this.

Boris

MOAR duct tape :D

The Mk1 is already under construction. That's the seven-module ship. Also I have in mind the Mk2, which will have to wait until the Mk1 is done and tested. The Mk2 should have 12 modules.

The Mk3 is something altogether more sinister looking, and i'm only entertaining the idea if the unity update in .23 has as much effect as I hope it does. The Mk3 would rival everything I've ever done all at once.

Ahhh - so that's what a caged booster system is. You build a cage. Out of boosters. And use it to capture Gilly. :D

Somebody build a cage to put over the dead kraken.

Related, as I understand an monolith on Minmus is floating in up where, has anybody tried to land something over it, however it might fall trough during time warp.

A well aged CPU, a single core, And you run ships that even the mightiest computers cringe at the thought of, Tell us, What is your Secret?

Patience. I once launched a 6,500 part ship. From surface to orbit, it took me over two hours of real time.

Progress so far:

dKWCVRi.png

Found a design flaw while in orbit. I don't like junk in orbit, so I pointed retrograde and burned up my fuel. Talk about a one in a million encounter! My eyebrows hit record altitude when I panned around to see where I'd hit. Completely unplanned. Didn't strike a building, fell just short. But it surprised me nontheless.

Retooling the lander module and relaunching now.

Do you use any welding?

Nah. Wouldn't be sporting. Though I am watching the mod with interest. Someday, who knows?

Well I understand the general principles of it. The problem comes to my having issues with the relative motion involved. I also tend to confuse my maneuvers and key commands involving those maneuvers. This is not a new thing though...25 years of playing computer and video games and I have not been able to get over this little quirk. So...oh well. I hope your advice helps some one else though.

It also does not help me that I do not touch type...heh. Oh so many issues.

Make sure you select "control from here" on the docking port of your controlled craft AND that you set the port on the non controlled craft as the target. Then change your camera view to "Chase". This will then put you in the proper perspective so that the translation keys make sense visually; "I" fires the top thrusters, "K" fires the bottom thrusters, etc.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.