The Versatility Marathon Challenge

Thanks. And it was a fun and challenging mission for me. Now its time to start and test components for Duna missions....

Yeah, I like seeing the explosion shots, and it looked like you had a well thought out fuel system. The Duna rover missions are fun to design. I was working on getting my rover garage to both land and take off, but after the door gets blasted off, there's a CoM issue that requires a counter weight, so I'm working on a retrieval container.

Hello All

My name is Alooohaaa Kerban and I would like to join this fine challenge.

I am presenting you my ship called simply VMC Core.

I used and planning to use the following 2 mods: Mechjab2 and Infernal robotics for the reason that they have moving part such as hydraulics etc. None of these mods are cheats in my opinion (Mechjab helps a lot but it is approved by Nexus :) ).

Bottom line is I am really looking forward to participate in this challange and enjoy Kerbal Space program together.

Please welcome my ship and its mighty heroes on the following pictures:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

PS: this is the first time I am posting images hope it will work if not please feel free to send me an advise or tutorial in a provate message.

thanks

Edited by Alooohaaa

Hi all.

I'm playing in career mode and I've just unlocked the mainsail, LV-N and jumbo tank. It's now time for me to go beyond Minmus' orbit with manned missions and take part to serious (and fun) challenges like this one.

Here is my coreship, the Kore XL. I started building something small, with one jumbo, one nuke and an ascent stage. Then I made the ship as versatile as I could imagine and ended up with this 837 tons SSTO spacetruck :)

Stock parts except heavy struts from KW Rocketry to (try to) keep part count low, and a KAS winch.

Fly safe.

Sensi.

Hi all.

I'm playing in career mode and I've just unlocked the mainsail, LV-N and jumbo tank. It's now time for me to go beyond Minmus' orbit with manned missions and take part to serious (and fun) challenges like this one.

Here is my coreship, the Kore XL. I started building something small, with one jumbo, one nuke and an ascent stage. Then I made the ship as versatile as I could imagine and ended up with this 837 tons SSTO spacetruck :)

Stock parts except heavy struts from KW Rocketry to (try to) keep part count low, and a KAS winch.

Fly safe.

Sensi.

Good lord that thing is heavy, good luck. Core approved.

Completed Mission 3

(finally)

This was a very difficult challenge.

Option 1 +300 points

Land a science team at both science gear locations +100 points

Littering the System (x2) -10 points

We're gonna need a bigger boat -10 points

Jet engines are for planes +5 points

so...

385 points

EDIT: Oops! Not 385 points. The actuator experiment thingy only had 64% fuel in the fuel tank. Assess a penalty, please.

TML

Edited by ThreeMartiniLaunch

Completed Mission 3

(finally)

This was a very difficult challenge.

Option 1 +300 points

Land a science team at both science gear locations +100 points

Littering the System (x2) -10 points

We're gonna need a bigger boat -10 points

Jet engines are for planes +5 points

so...

385 points

EDIT: Oops! Not 385 points. The actuator experiment thingy only had 64% fuel in the fuel tank. Assess a penalty, please.

TML

Excellent, well done on the construction and landing. Since you did use fuel from the actuator tank, I'll just use the standard penalty of -10 points.

So grand total is 375

Might repurpose an old warship for this challenge. Strip off the armour and weapons and add some additional attachment points.

Edit: It says no debug menu but are you allowed to clip without using it? It just takes a bit of fiddling.

If you can clip without the debug menu then it's fine.

Mission 1 completed

This was a nice warmup for the following missions :)

Mods used :

Infernal Robotics, on the SSTO. Not really needed but always fun to use.

Scores :

Mission complete with two satellites deployed and one landing per moon without refuelling : +150 points

One satellite deployed on both equatorial and polar orbit for Minmus : +10 points

One satellite deployed on both equatorial and polar orbit for Mün : +10 points

More than two satellites deployed at either location : 4 x 5 = +20 points

More than one Kerbal lands on a moon : 4 x 5 = +20 points

Landing on both poles and the equator : +10 p... OH WAIT! DOH! I forgot to land at the south poles... :(

Deploy a ground communications unit attached to a rover body : 2 x 10 = +20 points

Deploy communications satellites that weight 10 tons each : +5 points

Eat your vegetables : +5 points

Master of aerodynamics : (8 satellites + 1 lander) x 10 = +90 points

I know what I need : +25 points

Jet engines are for planes : +5 points

Bring the Gang along for the ride : 4 x 10 = +40 points

Home Sweet Home : 4 x 5 = +20 points

Total : 420 points (if I didn't make any mistakes or thought I complied with some rules but actually didn't).

Fly safe.

Sensi.

Overkill ? Wernher von Kerman disagrees. As he always says : "etehoc ed ednarg odaisamed anu omoc adan yah on" :)

My next mission will be mission 4: "Stranded Rover", to catch up with all fine Kerbonauts who have already completed mission 2 and 3. I'll do those missions later, as time permits.

A few questions :

- You wrote "Drive your rover to all anomaly locations on Duna: 400 points". Did you really mean driving the rover on the surface of Duna, several hundred kms at 10 m/s ? Or can we use a skycrane to get the rover near the anomalies ?

- The Kethane mod was used by somebody for mission 3. Is it still ok to use it for mission 4 ?

- Does the heat shield need to be of the shoebox/garage type, or can we build something else, like this:

Overkill ? Wernher von Kerman disagrees. As he always says : "etehoc ed ednarg odaisamed anu omoc adan yah on" :)

My next mission will be mission 4: "Stranded Rover", to catch up with all fine Kerbonauts who have already completed mission 2 and 3. I'll do those missions later, as time permits.

A few questions :

- You wrote "Drive your rover to all anomaly locations on Duna: 400 points". Did you really mean driving the rover on the surface of Duna, several hundred kms at 10 m/s ? Or can we use a skycrane to get the rover near the anomalies ?

- The Kethane mod was used by somebody for mission 3. Is it still ok to use it for mission 4 ?

- Does the heat shield need to be of the shoebox/garage type, or can we build something else, like this:

Sorry this reply took so long, here's the answers.

1. Yes I did mean actually drive, but since it's a bit far, you can use a sky crane to get your rover close, like within 2km

2. Kethane is fine

3. That heat shield looks good to me, I accept multiple styles.

Mission 4 completed

This mission was alot of fun and went as planned, with a few exceptions though :

- Arriving at Duna on the wrong side of the planet. Had to do a U turn at the apoapsis of a highly eccentric orbit to get it counter-clockwise.

- Not test-landing the rover on Duna before mission start. Had too few parachutes and the results were four bent axles and two flat tyres. Could not repair axles. The rover was difficult to drive after that.

- Forgetting to unlink the KAS struts before undocking the skycrane from coreship. Had to send Bob on EVA to retrieve them as they had detached under strain.

- Finally, forgetting that a docking port was used instead of a decoupler on the heat shield for Kerbin reentry. When I understood why the reentry engine and tank wouldn’t decouple, the rover was at 130m AGL and it was too late to undock them. And there were not enough chutes for the added weight. Fortunately, the reentry engine and tank cushioned the impact. The rover broke in half but all Kerbals and science gear did survive. The science team at R&D could get a hold of all science gathered on Duna.

Mods used

The usual ones plus KAS, Kethane and Infernal Robotics.

Scores

Mission completion : 250 points

Drive your rover to all anomalies on Duna : 400 points

Rover landed right outside of the science facility at KSC : 100 points (I’d understand if you disagree as it was more a controlled crash than a landing :wink: ).

Eat your vegetables : 5 points

Master of aerodynamics : (1 rover + 1 heat shield) x 10 = 20 points

I know what I need : 25 points

Jet engines are for planes : 5 points

Bring the Gang along for the ride : 4 x 10 = 40 points

Home Sweet Home : 4 x 5 = 20 points

Total : 865 points (maybe)

Fly safe.

Sensi.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.