[0.22] KSP Story Missions

Stodgy

Description

Something to do while waiting for career mode to be finished. KSP Story Missions adds missions, a budget and rank to career mode.

Version 0.8 is now available with new missions and docking objectives.

• Complete missions to earn rewards and go up in rank.
  • Manage the space center budget.
  • Pay to recruit Kerbals on normal and hardcore difficulties. So try not to get them killed.
  • The higher your rank the more missions and challenges are unlocked.
  • Easy, Normal and Hardcore difficulties in career mode.
  • Sandbox is supported. There's no budget, rank or science in sandbox mode and all missions are available from the start.
  • Achievements with bonus rewards will be added soon.

Hardcore difficulty really is hardcore. Kerbal permadeath; quick save and reverting to launch are disabled.

Download link

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/0-22-kspstorymissions/

Current Mission Sets

'The Height Stuff' missions designed for beginners. (I was going to call it 'The Right Stuff' but that may be trademarked so I used a silly parody title instead.)

'Probing the System' for more advanced players. Send probes to the planets and be thankful there's no Uranus.

'My Little Rover'. Design a small unmanned rover and send it on a few missions.

'Two is Bigger Than One' The first docking missions.

Experimental 'A Wing And A Prayer' space plane missions. (In development, I'm not very good with space planes so will welcome any suggestions.).

And many challenges.

Missions can be added by editing or creating your own config files. A guide to designing missions is being worked on and will be available soon.

Source code is included in the download. Licensed under GPL v3

Comments, suggestions, requests and criticisms are always welcome.

Edited by Stodgy

Maybe you'd be interested in using my custom experiment plugin.

Allows you to set planet specific experiments. And also, experiments require an amount of 'data' to be collected using a module. Only once you've got enough 'data' can you then perform the experiment.

Here is the plugin thread:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/57850-Plugin-0-22-V0-1a-Data-Generation-Body-Specific-Experiments

This was ultimately done for my tech tree. Have a look at the thread for sample experiments. (See 4th post on the main page)

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/58135-TechTree-0-22-Realistic-Progression-LITE-V0-17-%28Pre-Release-via-TreeEdit%29

Maybe have a look at the mission controller extended mod too! Budget, missions and they've also got a nifty 'recovery/recycle' system.

Sounds interesting what you are building here!

Missions can be added by editing the config files or creating your own. I will write a guide if there is any interest.

Source code is included in the download. Licensed under GPL v3

Comments, suggestions, requests and criticisms are always welcome.

Hi. Great thingie. ME GUSTA :). Sure, we want a guide.

Are there any more OBJECTIVES in addition to "LaunchKSC | ReachAltitude | Fly | Orbit | Land | SplashDown | Return | EnterSOI | DRIVE | Science" ???

i think a lot of ppl really need something like "rendezvous", "light docking", "heavy docking", "slow data transmission", "fast data transmission", "take a pic", "eva of 2(3)", "counts of launch", "mission duration" etc. or a tool to create own.

as well it will be wonderful if u logg in SAV not only "something launched" but "something landed" too, pilot(s) onboard and mission duration. may be other kernel events (like "on T+10h vessel landed on MUN" or "Jeb performed first MUNwalk").

and a dream - have a log about each kerbal (his mission history). seems like yu plugin could.

That's a good idea for a plugin, full career history for every Kerbal. It could have averages and Kerbal top five lists for things like distance traveled, time spent in space etc. I wont add it to this plugin but may make a separate one if I have the time and there's not already something like it.

I'll be adding docking objectives and missions soon. If you want more complexity or objective types then try mission controller. I'm trying to keep this simple, easy to use and most importantly fun.

I've just uploaded version 0.8. Lots of internal changes to handle docking, missions that reuse vessels from previous missions and missions that require switching vessels part way through.

Technical bit: When you dock in KSP it merges the two vessels together and one of the originals is deleted. When you undock it spawns a completely new vessel. This caused issues with how the plugin was tracking vessels. After experimenting with a few different methods I've changed it to use the root part to keep track of vessels. It's simple and works well with docking.

well, glad 2 c update. graciaz

few suggestions

1. any way to store names of docked vessels and restore it after undocking?

2. also, what about repetable missions?

3. seems i faced a bug. when one mission is in progres and u start new one, and when u finish second one before first - u dont receive reward for first one.

4. think we need a display for mission in progres if multiple are running

5. log entry adition 2 "launched" + with Jebe onboard and log entry "vessel landed (mission succes/failed"

6. new objectives ;)

r i'm too annoying???

Edited by DennyTX

well, glad 2 c update. graciaz

4. think we need a display for mission in progres if multiple are running

r i'm too annoying???

Click on the missions button in the space center to see the available and in progress missions. Select an in progress mission to see a brief summary with the vessel name, location, next objective and flight time etc. You can restart the mission from the summary window if you want.

The mission list window is just a place holder at the moment. It's very dull. I will be remaking it and adding buttons to filter the missions by type, availability, or in progress.

one more idea

u already have Condition = OnBudget

what about "OnMass" and "OnTime" ??

should be interesting

Uploaded v0.8.1 with time limited objectives and added the challenge 'The Space Race'. Get to the Mun and back in less than a day.

got it. testing.

and i have 2 another ideas.

1. what about a grafical ranks? and CFG where user can determine pics for it in PNG and rank names.

2. finances border. if u have budget below zero u can launch only low cost missions like repetable chalenges to rize yu budget (maybe as option)

and two questions

1. how should i configure mission file to perform dock-undock objectives in one mission, like APOLLO.

tryed, but always got "error in config file"

2. how should i configure mission file for objective "launch from celectial body", not only from KSC

Edited by DennyTX

Challenge: Bring a torch

Required Parts: Sunglasses

now you're just teasing who's not in test team (i.e. everybody) :V

From: I don't know his name but I think he's from the psychiatric hospital.

Mission objective: Land on the Sun

Some people take games far too seriously. I'm not one of them.

1. how should i configure mission file to perform dock-undock objectives in one mission, like APOLLO.

Currently dock and undock have to target the vessel from a previous mission. They can be used to build a space station over several launches for example but you can't have an Apollo style single launch and undock.

I've only just added the docking objective and wanted to get the basics working first. It's not finished yet and it will be able to do what you want sometime soon.

2. how should i configure mission file for objective "launch from celectial body", not only from KSC

You can't at the moment but you can have almost the same thing by using a 'Land' objective followed by 'ReachAltitude' MinAltitude=2000.

I'll add a generic 'Launch' objective type soon. Thanks for the idea, I don't know why but it never occurred to me to add something as obvious as this.

Very nice done, but does the mission progress go not a bit to far (related to the Tec Tree developement).

I think mission 6 yet as Moonlanding is a bit early (Not many researchmissions before to develope good tec for it)

Very nice done, but does the mission progress go not a bit to far (related to the Tec Tree developement).

I think mission 6 yet as Moonlanding is a bit early (Not many researchmissions before to develope good tec for it)

I wanted the first set to finish with the big 'Mun Landing' mission but that may have to change. Your right that it's too hard if you try to do it as soon as you can.

But if you are not way over budget then other mission sets and challenges will be unlocked by the time you get to that mission so you can do them first. Some of which are easier than the Mun landing and get lots of science.

well...

at every UNDOCK events we need to get a popup question (or something else) to ask what part will perform remained mission objectives.

while trying to emulate Apollo style mission i found that lander after undocking got empty goals list, but orbital part still have all objectives including "land"

suggestion: another way (maybe much simple), just have additional property in OBJECTIVES object, like core part to perform (from parts list above in CFG)

SuggestedVesselName = APOLLO-1
Part = SCIENCE Mk1-2-1 Command Pod
Part = Mk1 Lander Can

OBJECTIVE = Orbit
{
Target = Mun
[B][COLOR="#0000FF"]Part = any[/COLOR][/B]
MinAltitude = 25000
MaxAltitude = 30000
}

OBJECTIVE = Land
{
Target = Mun
[COLOR="#0000FF"][B]Part = Mk1 Lander Can[/B][/COLOR]
Time = 3600
}

one more idea. i'm not a programmer, but may be it possible to have inheritance stuff. for example all child vessels born from core mission vessel get remaining mission goals. and after docking back all goals should add to each other

Edited by DennyTX

The problem with the current "mission controller extended" is that there is no actual challenge in that you cannot lose if you go broke. This needs to be in the mod : maybe "lose" is the wrong word.

You get a certain amount of money per year (the "budget"), and accomplishing missions and gaining science points increases your annual budget. Budgets don't roll over, so if you timewarp, you lose any unspent money at the end of every fiscal year.

Landing Kerbonauts places gains you a lot of money - governed by a hidden state called "fame" for each kerbonaut. Losing a kerbonaut is unpopular and you lose money (while the loss is "investigated")

If you lack sufficient funds, you may not launch a rocket.

You can take commercial contracts, which will give you money for doing a mission, or will increase your budget (because you did a "demonstration flight" and the commercial entity sign a contract)

DennyTX, I've already done something similar to what you are suggesting. A hidden objective that can be used to switch the main part before undocking.

Expect an update later today when I've had time to test it.

3. seems i faced a bug. when one mission is in progres and u start new one, and when u finish second one before first - u dont receive reward for first one.

I faced this bug as well. It seams you can only track one mission at a time.

I really like the idea of commercial contracts, you may not have enough science to do the next mission because you are using a non-stock tech tree. Contracts, like challenges would give you additional income except they would be on the easily attainable parts in the tech tree and for less money.

Edited by frizzank

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.